RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LEE Dippers: Old (Black or Red) powder dippers vs New (Yellow) powder dippers

Boolit Man
    That sounds like a really good idea.
    Less fluctuation from light air movement.
    I have a beam scale that came with my classic turret press kit but it's difficult for me to use as it seems kind of sticky when it goes up or down like it's rubbing on one side or the other.

I'm getting to the point where I need one of those large 6 foot by 3 foot flat top, roll around tool boxes for all the reloading equipment, parts kits and building tools I have accumulated over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Other than suggesting you get a beam scale, I would suggest you try something that might help....

I do not know what size the scale "pad" is on your electronic scales, but try putting jacketed bullet that you know is of a certain weight( Like a 158gr./38sp., or a 230gr./45ACP, etc. ) on the scales "pad", off to the side & then place the little pan on there as well, then "Tare" the two together.

Then try weighing powder in the pan from the scoops & see if it stops the scale from wavering & being inconsistent.

It may be that the scale just does not have the amount of weight on it to be accurate & steady, but adding a bit more weight may make it get more consistent for you.

Just a suggestion, but it may help & is easy enough to try anyway.

I use a beam scale to check my loads ( + I have a check weight set, but bullets work too) , whether it be from one of the measures or from the dippers. The only time I did not use the beams is when I am not at the bench, like at the range or somewhere else. Then I just use the dipper & stay below the amount required for safety, or I use my litte FA elct. scale I got for weighing boolits & powder a while back. I just did not trust it if I was getting close to MAX suggested loads, so I just went to using the beam most of the time.

Anyway, I guess I rambled a bit. Gonna go hit the rack.

G'Luck! and if the suggestion works for ya, please share that it did! I'd bet no one would mind, as it might help someone else too later on if they read here.

Boolit Master
    I use a container and found for me that pushing the dipper into the powder and letting it fill then lifting works for me.No wooshing or running or double dipping.
    I have a wire that goes across the top of my container and I scrape once pulling it towards me then out.

I get more variation from my luby/dirty fingers or other contaminates making the powder stick to the outside of the scoop.
    I’m a strong believer in a well maintained beam scale.
    I don’t do electric scales and don’t trust them at all.

Hell I only reloaded for 37 years with my first set of scales.

My replacement was made before my old ones but I can read them better.

A dipper afew tenths light and a good trickler is quick and easy for dead nuts on for bigger logs and sticks that don’t measure that well in throwers anyway.

You can spend a lot of money and not be anywhere near as good as a balance beam and few dippers and a simple trickler.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123