Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEE Dippers: Old (Black or Red) powder dippers vs New (Yellow) powder dippers

Boolit Master
    I make new dippers from brass cartridge cases and a pipe cutter to fill in the holes between the multiple colors of dippers. For handles, I twist heavy (.035) stainless wire around the cases. They work great and I confirm exact powder charge before each session on the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I make new dippers from brass cartridge cases and a pipe cutter to fill in the holes between the multiple colors of dippers. For handles, I twist heavy (.035) stainless wire around the cases. They work great and I confirm exact powder charge before each session on the scale.
    ^^This^^
    I, especially, like reclaiming cases who's necks finally split; since it lets them still work for me, and they've even got the right head stamp for what I'm loading.

Although, I do have a number of Lee's, too. Even though I only own one Lee die, a Speed Die, I bought their dippers and data sheets for their equivalents of each my RCBS and Hornady die sets and tucked them in my die boxes. This seemed the most compact way to have some data and a measure always along when I through a die set in my portable kit.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several dippers for different rounds that for one reason or another I don't want or need to set up a powder measure. I do weigh every charge thrown with the dipper though. I also make my own from old cases or other available materials. I have dippers made for powder, Shot, powdered fillers ( grex, corn meal,). Dippers are a handy tool on any bench. I also have a set of dippers for measuring the correct rartio of bisonite bedding compound since its a 10-1 mix and hard to measure otherwise.

Boolit Master
    I tend to use old cases and fill with lead then drill out to the weight I need.
    Empty cases at the range can be a god sent when you left your dippers at home when you have made a few out of cases and know what they weight at.
    Not for full noise loads though.
    Did that the other week and a 22lr case of bullseye and a 22mag case of unique kept me shooting for the day but not what I intended to do at the time.

Boolit Master
    Electronic scales seem to all be Listed As .1 Grain Resolution +/- several Counts and Temperature Variations.
    I have found Electronic Scales Too Inaccurate for Charges around 1.00 Grains to 3.00 Grains, and Use a RCBS (OHAS) "Balance Beam" type to measure My Charges.

But then, i am Loading .25ACP cases with a Gross Water capacity of 6.7 Grains full to the rim. 3.1 grains of BE-86 under a 50 Grain FMJ RN Jacketed Bullet is a 100% fill Load in the .25ACP cartridge!

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-21-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Trivia Post:
    My Yellow Lee .3cc Dipper will throw a 3.0 grain charge of BE-86 repeatedly.

Chev. William

Banned

When I first started loading for a handgun, I didn't have a suitable powder measure and bought one of the Lee sets. Best six bucks I ever spent. Seems like I find all kind of uses for it. Actually pulled it out to load a few the other day and was too lazy to adjust a powder measure. 25 years or so and that dipper set is still going strong.

Boolit Master

Sorry to wake an old thread back up... I have been loading since the late 80's and have never used a dipper! I am starting down the road of 32acp and find that I actually plan on dipping! My Uniflow with a small drum is not accurate enough and I hate to set up and trickle charge each one, very slow process. So, I am planning on using the included Lee dipper and maybe making an tuning a couple more from 22LR or 25acp cases. Will still weigh each charge on the Ohaus beam, my Dillon electronic has to much variation for my comfort in that tiny case. I really should get a full set of dippers, might be very handy with short runs of test loads!

Boolit Master

Check S&S here. You might get lucky and find both old and new Lee dippers for less than retail for just the new . Making your own is a good alternative.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    With my 32 S&W (not Long) loading project (with old S&W tools) coming along, I'm looking at very tiny dippers to measure charges like 1.3 gr of Bullseye, etc. so I'm looking at the very smallest of the Lee dippers. I fear I'll be forced to make my own out of 22 rf cases... I may have to go to a 22 s case to get small enough though... it looks like even a 22 lr case holds too much. While I'm at it, I'll probably make dippers for 32 S&W Long as well as that brass is so much more available.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Since I reload 22lr, there were not any commercial dippers available for that small amt of powder. So I made my own. Now I wonder why anyone would purchase a powder dipper. They are so easy to make and tailor to the type of powder that you use. Just use the scale to tweak the weight of powder. Now that has turned out to be so easy and accurate, I will do it for all calibers. Absolutely no need to purchase something so simple to make.

That's a good point on how easy dippers are to make.

The best argument for the Lee's may be the capacity "slide-rule" and the charge tables, rather than the dippers themselves.

I make some, but I've also bought a set; and I've bought individual dippers and charge tables from Lee's parts section for their dies to add to the boxes of most of my other dies' boxes. One or more dippers and a charge table in the box with the dies ensures that there's basic data and measurement ability always very handy.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Thanks for posting that. I have an old set of red ones. That I picked up somewhere and never even looked at them. Just thought they were the same. FB

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Check S&S here. You might get lucky and find both old and new Lee dippers for less than retail for just the new . Making your own is a good alternative.
    Where is the S&S, I can't find it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by archangel2003 View Post
    Where is the S&S, I can't find it.
    You have to have 30 posts before you can see it, and/or post in it, I think. That is maybe why you have not seen it yet, since your post count is at 24 right now. Make some more worthwhile posts here, & then you should be able to see it & go in there.

I would post the link to the forum & the rules forum link below, but I am not sure that the forum software will allow you to even enter without the required posts. I did post what you will see if you do get to 30 posts from the main forum page listings. S&S is about 2/3rds or 3/4 down the main forum page...

You are just going to have to participate a bit more, I reckon.

G'Luck!

Swappin & Sellin(23 Viewing)
    Gun / Casting / Shooting / Hunting Related Items Only. 30 Days Active Membership & 30 Post requirement to sell. 5 threads per month limit, 10 items per thread limit. No Estate Sales. No spamming. No degrading posts in sales threads. No ebay links. First post of threads MUST be updated as items are sold. Threads will be closed if no activity for 30 days. See sticky in the S&S area for rules details & descriptions.

Moderators:No_1
    Sub-Forums: S&S RULES, Straight Shooters & Deadbeats, The Boolit Exchange, Completed Deals
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Man
    I did end up finding the swappin and sellin section, just a little slow these days, old age and all.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    You have to have 30 posts before you can see it, and/or post in it, I think. That is maybe why you have not seen it yet, since your post count is at 24 right now. Make some more worthwhile posts here, & then you should be able to see it & go in there.

I would post the link to the forum & the rules forum link below, but I am not sure that the forum software will allow you to even enter without the required posts. I did post what you will see if you do get to 30 posts from the main forum page listings. S&S is about 2/3rds or 3/4 down the main forum page...

You are just going to have to participate a bit more, I reckon.

G'Luck!

Swappin & Sellin(23 Viewing)
    Gun / Casting / Shooting / Hunting Related Items Only. 30 Days Active Membership & 30 Post requirement to sell. 5 threads per month limit, 10 items per thread limit. No Estate Sales. No spamming. No degrading posts in sales threads. No ebay links. First post of threads MUST be updated as items are sold. Threads will be closed if no activity for 30 days. See sticky in the S&S area for rules details & descriptions.

Moderators:No_1
    Sub-Forums: S&S RULES, Straight Shooters & Deadbeats, The Boolit Exchange, Completed Deals

Boolit Master
    I did end up finding the swappin and sellin section, just a little slow these days, old age and all.

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Mold
    Been using the Lee dippers for years for several calibers.
    The slide rule is great.
    A lot of times I just don't want to set up my powder measure.

Boolit Man
    The thing is that I have 2 electronic scales, one for the heavier things and won't go to grains, and the other for grains of powder, the only thing is, the smaller one goes to hundredths of a grain and the numbers fluctuate every time the heat, or A/C cycles on as the air movement screws with it.
    SO, I take it that + or - 1/2 a grain is nothing for reloading?
    When the smaller scale fluctuates, it can go as much as .25 grain or so, and I can't seem to get my smaller yellow Lee measure cups to draw any kind of powder within 2 grains of what it's supposed to pull, or even 2 grains between one pull and another no matter how I scoop it out of the can!
    The larger ones are even worse.
    I tried like they said, pushing it down and letting the powder fall in, then I tried scooping up and out, sliding sideways back and forth, nothing is consistent!

Boolit Master
    The thing is that I have 2 electronic scales, one for the heavier things and won't go to grains, and the other for grains of powder, the only thing is, the smaller one goes to hundredths of a grain and the numbers fluctuate every time the heat, or A/C cycles on as the air movement screws with it.
    SO, I take it that + or - 1/2 a grain is nothing for reloading?
    When the smaller scale fluctuates, it can go as much as .25 grain or so, and I can't seem to get my smaller yellow Lee measure cups to draw any kind of powder within 2 grains of what it's supposed to pull, or even 2 grains between one pull and another no matter how I scoop it out of the can!
    The larger ones are even worse.
    I tried like they said, pushing it down and letting the powder fall in, then I tried scooping up and out, sliding sideways back and forth, nothing is consistent!
    Other than suggesting you get a beam scale, I would suggest you try something that might help....

I do not know what size the scale "pad" is on your electronic scales, but try putting jacketed bullet that you know is of a certain weight( Like a 158gr./38sp., or a 230gr./45ACP, etc. ) on the scales "pad", off to the side & then place the little pan on there as well, then "Tare" the two together.

Then try weighing powder in the pan from the scoops & see if it stops the scale from wavering & being inconsistent.

It may be that the scale just does not have the amount of weight on it to be accurate & steady, but adding a bit more weight may make it get more consistent for you.

Just a suggestion, but it may help & is easy enough to try anyway.

I use a beam scale to check my loads ( + I have a check weight set, but bullets work too) , whether it be from one of the measures or from the dippers. The only time I did not use the beams is when I am not at the bench, like at the range or somewhere else. Then I just use the dipper & stay below the amount required for safety, or I use my litte FA elct. scale I got for weighing boolits & powder a while back. I just did not trust it if I was getting close to MAX suggested loads, so I just went to using the beam most of the time.

Anyway, I guess I rambled a bit. Gonna go hit the rack.

G'Luck! and if the suggestion works for ya, please share that it did! I'd bet no one would mind, as it might help someone else too later on if they read here.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast