Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Star feeder and WC boolits

Boolit Buddy

Star feeder and WC boolits

I'm having trouble with the feeder to work with full wadcutters. It workes great with all other boolits in 35 cal boolits. The boolit I have trouble with is Saeco # 50 WC.

Any advice or do I have to feed this type of boolit by hand?

Boolit Mold
    Hunter74,
    What specifically is happening with the feeder?

Best regards,
    Nick

Boolit Buddy
    I took a look at this problem again last night and it seems unfair to blame the feeder for this. What happens is that the boolit get caught on the slide a bit on the return, so the boolit drops too late and get dropped sideways on top of the die instead of dropping in. Many of the boolits from this mold have small fins on the base and a distinct partline on the side but the presicion of this boolit is excellent so it hasn't bothered me much until now. To me it seems like this is the trouble with the feeding anyway...... If anyone could give me some advice to get it to run smoothly with this boolit it would be great! I and some of my friends use a lot of this boolit and the solution now is to feed the star by hand. If i use the feeder about one of three or four boolits get caught up on the slide and makes the hangup described.

Thanks!

Boolit Mold
    Hunter74,

Do you have a spare sprue plate for the mold? Fi so try swapping it with the current one, it may help with the small fins on the base. The sprue plate may not fit correctly and could be the cause of the small fins.

Best regards,
    Nick

ADMIN

I am a little confused.
    Does the boolit get stuck in the slider itself above the sizing die or is it getting stuck where the drop tube feeds into the slider?

I know that on short boolits that I use a special slider and the drop tube is flat on the bottom (where it touches the slider)
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    It gets hung up on the slide itself before dropping into the die

ADMIN

They make different diameter slides.
    You could get one that has a smaller hole.

The problem I always ran into was that the slide wasn't centered directly over the die.
    So it would take a second for the boolit to drop into the die.

From what you are saying is the boolit gets sideways in the die which means you need one with a smailler hole.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    I took a look at this problem again last night and it seems unfair to blame the feeder for this. What happens is that the boolit get caught on the slide a bit on the return, so the boolit drops too late and get dropped sideways on top of the die instead of dropping in. Many of the boolits from this mold have small fins on the base and a distinct partline on the side but the presicion of this boolit is excellent so it hasn't bothered me much until now. To me it seems like this is the trouble with the feeding anyway...... If anyone could give me some advice to get it to run smoothly with this boolit it would be great! I and some of my friends use a lot of this boolit and the solution now is to feed the star by hand. If i use the feeder about one of three or four boolits get caught up on the slide and makes the hangup described.

Thanks!
    "small fins on the bottom and distinct part line"....i believe is the issue here....if a mold is not closing perfectly and the sprue plate is not perfectly flush with the top of the mold "fins" will happen.....you might try cleaning your mold and sprue plate and lubing with BullPlate or other mold lube....i clean my molds when i change them out...brass brush and a brand spanking new box knife blade held perpendicular to the mold face, scraping towards the cavity....NEVER touch the sharp edges of the cavity....brass brush to touch up....bullets drop without a flaw.....

when i install the mold i let it heat up a bit and BullPlate the top of the mold, bottom of the sprue plate, locating pins and the Master Caster centering rails.....and i make sure the centering rails are ever so close but not touching the mold carrier.....let the spring do the work...

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter