Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovered boolit still has lube...

Vendor Sponsor

I have very good luck with Felix lube, I don't really know if it slings off, the one boolit I did recover went into sandy dirt but it wasn't all caked in the grooves. Meanwhile at the muzzle there is a lube star, and the bore is black and shiny, if I run a patch through it the patch comes out black and greasy so I think it is "seasoning" the bore between shots, leaving behind a residue that lubes the next round fired. Even though these are 310gr GC boolits. Groups are tiny little things.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    If the lube were too soft, it wouldn't work very well. If the lube is too hard, it works but stays on the bullet.

Better too hard than too soft.

I harden my 45/45/10 with carnauba red. They tell me that if I want to shoot 2700fps+, I should use carnauba red only.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    If the lube were too soft, it wouldn't work very well. If the lube is too hard, it works but stays on the bullet.

Better too hard than too soft.

I harden my 45/45/10 with carnauba red. They tell me that if I want to shoot 2700fps+, I should use carnauba red only.
    You evidently haven't repeated for your own musings the straight lithium grease lube experiment that Col. Harrison of the NRA did back in the 1950s. Impractical to use, but difficult to better. I worked that around quite a bit using different percentages of lithium stearate and 12-hydroxystearate for more/less thickening action. Interesting results.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Who, exactly, are "they"?

I can think of a fair number of people using reasonably soft lubes at HV. Felix lube isn't a hard lube at all and is certainly capable of about anything that needs doing.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Some things are good when they are hard.....

Boolit lube isn't one of them!

Some things are better when they leave......

Boolit lube IS one of them!