Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Anyone loading 20ga slugs with any sucess?

Anyone loading 20ga slugs with any sucess?

A few years ago I won a savage 220, it sat in the safe for a year or so I said no way I am paying for those sabot slugs when I can load rifle for way cheaper. Then last year my buddy was going to Indiana for a deer hunt and asked if he could use the 220. So I got a scope on it read as much as I could about the slugs for it, so I bought Rem Accu tips, Hornady SST, and federal coper solids. It turned out that out of my riffle the Rem Accu tips were the most accurate. Now when I can find them they are between 15 and 18 dollars a box, however I have not been able to find any lately. So the question is has anyone had any luck loading 20 ga slugs? I have LEE REAL molds in 50 and 54 cal but I would be open to purchasing other molds if I can load my own.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Lee 54 cal mold and have cast a couple hundred of them; they fit in some old Win wads (pale yellow) that are thinner than the new wads. I just got some powder and have not had a chance to load them yet.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee .575 Minie ball mold to make 20 ga slugs. They fit in the shot cup of most 20 ga wads, and accuracy depends on the components. Going to mod the mold its a hollow base, but is a bit heavy as is. So will make a new base piece on the lathe to shorten the slug a little so it fits in 1 oz wads and increase the depth of the hollow so it flies truer. As is the slugs only work in 1 1/8 oz shells.

In Remembrance

"...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

I have loaded the Lee 575-470 Improved Target Mini with good results with a BPI wad, the Lee 54 REAL 380 gr, shot fairly well with Downrange orange wads (AA clone). Since I was looking for a lighter recoiling 20 ga loads for my daughter I focused on the Lyman 350 gr, .575 roundball loads. The Lee Improved Target Mini's shot the best without any development 3" groups at 75 yds.
    (Rem 870 Shurshot rifled with a factory pinned bbl) The Lyman 350 gr sabot slugs have been inconsistent shooting very well at times and then not real well. Given that the Lyman mold is $65 I would try some others first. The 12 ga Lyman sabot slugs consistently shoot quite well in my 12's.

Boolit Master

Carl, did you ever work up anything in 20 ga. w/.60 balls?

In Remembrance

No. but I did just get a few more 60-cal balls, so now i am thinking about it again.
    Most wads would be way too think for those, so I wonder if a patched ball would work.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

Am thinking abt the 60-cal patched (maybe) hardcast RB in 20ga again: I think I'll start with 3/4oz load data.

I am thinking to patch it like a muzzle loader, and seat it either ona felt wad, on a bed of malt-o-meal or buffer, and then a hard card under that; with a OB20 gas seal over the powder.

Banned

I have a NEF 20ga slug barrel and I bought NOE's .625 dia full bore slug mould and it shoots great out of that rifled barrel.

I'd go with a full bore dia ball. Say .625 or .626, no patching needed.

if i may put my penny's worth into this discussion, i would suggest trying DSG-20 slug from BPI and find a good load data for it. It should perform well with a bolt action rifled 20 GA. I think you would be surprised.

Boolit Master
    BPI has the thug slugs as well and dad uses them in his 20ga and loves them. at the rage he was hitting the pin at 100yrds and had the holes touching

In Remembrance

I agree, that would be best, but
    I dont have any .625 balls, but I do have .60 and .610's; so i need to patch up.
    Just my life.
    C-

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I've been reading about casting 20 gauge slugs and it looks like alot of folks have good success with the Lee .58 caliber Minie bullet in a 20 gauge wad. I wonder if the Lee .58 caliber REAL boolit would also work? I know my .50 caliber NEF is quite fond of the 250 grain version.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Bub
    The Lee 54 cal. REAL bullet is a perfect fit in the old Win wa20F1 wads

Banned

if you have the .60 or .610 RB, check out a few of the wads that may work for you. I think there is a Trap Commander wad that may work well with it.

In Remembrance

Any mathematicians in the room? any utility in this shaped patch:
    http://yhst-79929231592751.stores.ya...o12ffasit.html

, down sized a bit, as a patch for the round ball slug loads?
    I am thinking it would enclose the whole ball when loaded in the hull and on its trip down the bore, but woudl reduce excess patching material so as to reduce variability on loading, and therefore, possibly, improve shot to shot consistency.

I have taken an interest in the sabot from slugs are us and would like to try to load it with a 200gr jacketed pistol bullet to help get the velocity up seeing that the factory rounds I use are around 1800 to 1850 fps.