Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: COWW smelting test

Boolit Master

COWW smelting test

dad and I ran a test run on my used Coleman stove with the free wheel weights we got from a friend this was the resultClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141102_163152[1].jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	120857

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good start. Many of us started on a Coleman stove.

Boolit Grand Master

Remiel;
    I would like to caution you about one thing when using a Coleman stove to smelt lead. The grate is not very strong (they never intended for us to put a large pot of lead on it). Back in the day, I got a rather large pot of lead so hot that the grates glowed red and then sagged and tried to dump the pot of lead. Fortunately, I recognized the problem soon enough (barely) that I avoided a disaster.

So, moral of the story is to not use too heavy a pot of lead and keep the temperature as low as you can and still melt the metal.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Dale53 is spot on. if you can find a turkey fryer burner and a BBQ bottle setup,you will be rocking.

Boolit Bub
    My son and I used a medium sized pot and only threw in a couple of handfuls of WW at a time. We were testing and learning at the same time. It was fun and now we have some lead for casting boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dcryder View Post
    My son and I used a medium sized pot and only threw in a couple of handfuls of WW at a time. We were testing and learning at the same time. It was fun and now we have some lead for casting boolits.
    yeah you have lead for boolets, i dont have any molds yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Remiel;
    I would like to caution you about one thing when using a Coleman stove to smelt lead. The grate is not very strong (they never intended for us to put a large pot of lead on it). Back in the day, I got a rather large pot of lead so hot that the grates glowed red and then sagged and tried to dump the pot of lead. Fortunately, I recognized the problem soon enough (barely) that I avoided a disaster.

So, moral of the story is to not use too heavy a pot of lead and keep the temperature as low as you can and still melt the metal.

FWIW
    Dale53
    those 8 ingots came from 2 batches(4ish handfulls) of COWW each, if needed dad and i can reinforce the grille for the Coleman stove for a while until we can get a big enough supply to upgrade to a turkey fryer

Welcome to the start of the lead addiction. I really enjoy the hobby. Just got done casting 750 Lee 228g 1R Boolits tonight. Listening to some good tunes on the I Heart Radio App, chewing Copenhagen and enjoying the solitude of my gun room. It's awesome you have your dad to share with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deadarrow View Post
    Welcome to the start of the lead addiction. I really enjoy the hobby. Just got done casting 750 Lee 228g 1R Boolits tonight. Listening to some good tunes on the I Heart Radio App, chewing Copenhagen and enjoying the solitude of my gun room. It's awesome you have your dad to share with.
    Its fun we got into reloading due to ammo shortage and NYS BS, we have a small setup in his basement and i will hole up in there for a few hours on a weekend and make rounds for target shooting and hunting

Boolit Bub
    Hey I have been looking for molds for ya. Just haven't found any that wasn't already gone or to expensive.

Boolit Bub
    were those ingots made with a muffin pan?
    Famous last words: "Hey, watch this!"

Straight shooters and deadbeats thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?263833-KuunLB

Boolit Bub
    Yes they were, found them at a flea market at .50 each both are older metal muffen tins.

Boolit Master
    they work pretty good for what they are