Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestios for LIL GUN

Boolit Buddy

Suggestios for LIL GUN

I ended up with several pounds of lil gun at a auction and can't fine much info on what to to with it. I don't load for 410 so that is out. I've read it's good for magnum pistol loads but can't find any. Does anybody have any suggestions. I load 38/357 and 45 acp in pistols.

Thanks,,,Floyd

I would think it is too slow for 45 acp but should be dandy with heavy 357 mag loadings!

Boolit Master
    Go to the hodgdons website for loading data for the 357 mag.

Boolit Buddy
    After I posted this I kept searching and found a lot of info on the marlin site. Seems like the neatest thing since sliced bread. 17 grs under a 158 gr WC for 357 and down to around 14gr for 38. higher velocity, lower pressure and excellent accuracy. I'll give some a try.

thanks,,,,Floyd

Boolit Master

I've found it to be outstanding in the 22 Hornet with 45 grain jacketed bullets as well as my 357 Magnum rifle loads using a 180 cast boolit. Velocities are above anything else that I've tried in those two applications (chronograph results) and pressures seem to be very mild. Case life is excellent in the thin walled and usually short lived 22 Hornet brass when loading to the top end of the charts for varmint hunting.

While I haven't tried it in the 25/20 yet, it is on the list of things to do with my current project using both a Marlin 1894 and Savage 23B in that calibre.

It meters well with very uniform charges from my Redding measure. I've been satisfied using standard primers with it so far in the small cases that I've used it in.

I've not considered (or even thought about) using it in the 45 ACP. My thinking is that it probably is too slow for that application, but if you find success in using it in the Forty-Five ACP, let us know.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 11-03-2014 at 02:41 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    300 blackout

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by floydboy View Post
    After I posted this I kept searching and found a lot of info on the marlin site. Seems like the neatest thing since sliced bread. 17 grs under a 158 gr WC for 357 and down to around 14gr for 38. higher velocity, lower pressure and excellent accuracy. I'll give some a try.

thanks,,,,Floyd

Just keep in mind that if you're putting lil'gun in a .38 special, it's only for use in a .357 chamber, as you'll almost certainly be overpressure for any .38 special I know of.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Would love to get my hands on a pound of Lil Gun to try out in my .357, .44 and .500 magnums
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    works in 44 mag.

Vendor Sponsor

The Freedom Arms boys found LilGun could erode barrels/forcing cones, or so the myth goes. It may be true I don't know, but many posts about it exist. For use in .357, .44 and Ruger Only .45 Colt loads which are not up in the 50,000+psi range of the Casull revolvers, I think the erosion problem doesn't happen. I use it in .44 magnum and .45 Colt under the Lee RF boolits and have no issues whatsoever with it except it is very accurate and zero pressure signs. It seems to like a heavy crimp as well.

It is an excellent choice in a magnum case if you are not pushing the outer limits of the cartridge, not to mean that LilGun won't go there, but it is a great alternative to downloading W296/H110 which should not be done. If you want hunting loads in a magnum pistol cartridge that are specifically not loaded to the max, 2400 and LilGun are your two best choices.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

lil'gun is the only powder I use for my 22 hornet. Extremely accurate and easy to measure. I also used it in my 357magnum and it worked out very well also. However, now I save it for my 22 hornet. 45gr Sierra Varminter, 13gr lil'gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I yse Lil Gun in my 22hornet and my 218bee with outstanding accuracy it does metr very well thru my harrels measure.

Boolit Master

I have had excellent results with Lil Gun powder in the 22 Hornet & 357 mag , i have used it some in the 38 super and I did use it for the FA 454 Casull but stopped after the bad press and went back to 296/H-110.
    To slow for the 45 acp !

Boolit Grand Master

Great in Hornet, K-Hornet, and 357.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    300 blackout
    +1 for use in 300 Blk. I have not found any.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. The guy who had it loaded for 22 Hornet so that must have been what he was using it for. I'll work up something for my 357 mag. Looks like I have another lifetime supply of something. Good problem to have. One less thing to worry about.

Floyd

I use it in my .221 Fireball.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Stuff is absolutely horrible. I suggest you send it to me and I'll take care of it for you........
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    The erosion problems with the powder in revolvers was because of the heat generated, I believe.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The erosion problems with the powder in revolvers was because of the heat generated, I believe.
    From what I heard, that would be the case. I think it fair to say that you need to be on the upper end of the Casull power curve before you have to worry about shooting the throat out of a revolver barrel. Nobody that loads for a Ruger and stays within published data for the load they are building should have to worry about eroding the barrel. 36,000psi is not enough pressure unless you have a class 3 Blackhawk.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast