MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 480 ruger ?

Boolit Master

480 ruger ?

Will the 480 ruger sbh shoot 475 linebaugh ?

Boolit Master
    Not without modification, the 475 Linebaugh case is longer than the 480 Ruger, it is also loaded to a higher pressure than the 480 Ruger is, which is why all 475 Linebaughs I have handled or fired were 5 shots.

One day I met a Ruger sales representative who told me that the 480 Ruger Super Redhawk is not supposed to handle 475 Linebaugh ammunition, but that it will. I've never tried it.

Boolit Master
    NO NO WAY

Linebaugh is longer and much higher pressure.

Could be. I'm only reporting what the Ruger sales rep said.

P.s. Don't try it.

Boolit Master
    Not a Ruger SBH 480 rather the SRH and no this Ruger will not chamber the 475 Linebaugh nor was it ever intended to do so.

The gun has the strength. I think there was a little mis-interpretation. .480 is a shortened .475.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    The gun has the strength. I think there was a little mis-interpretation. .480 is a shortened .475.
    Listen to this guy. Here is some information on the rounds:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.480_Ruger

So do you have the SRH or a custom SBH?

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger has made a recent run of the 480Ruger SRH so they are out there and available. I've thought of picking up one but don't need another caliber to reload or buy molds for or......

Boolit Master
    I recently sold my SRH in 480 Ruger. It was a great gun but the recoil from it in a double action handgun could be brutal with full pressure loads. They are plenty strong to handle the 50,000psi that the .475 linebaugh operates at. In fact I saw a few .480 Rugers on Gunbroker that had their cylinders reamed to .475 linebaugh. The smith who did the conversion was a reputable one and if I remember right I think it was Gary Reeder. There are 2 thousand psi difference between the cartridges. I'm sure the proof loads in the .480 are more than that.

It's one of those things that once it's gone you regret selling it. I do wish I would have held on to it. Oh well I did buy a nice 4-5/8" 45 Colt convertible black hawk with the money I made on the sale.

I must be on a different wavelength than some of the respondents to this question. Are we talking about a 480 SRH reamed long enough for 475 linebaugh, or are we talking about trying to stuff a 475 cartridge into a 480 chamber? Because the latter obviously won't fit.

In Remembrance

I have one in a Tarus Raging Bull and it is not at all bad as far as recoil. The cushioned grips and muzzel brake probably help that. Hearing protection is a must! It is extremely accurate with the 400 gr. Lee boolit. I haven't really tested it with 325 gr. factory loads

The 480 ruger has enough bark with full house loads. There are a few places that will take your 6 shot 480 SRH and put a 5 shot 475 Linba cyclinder in it and you are set.
    Think of the 480 Ruger as a 38 special and the 475 Linba as a 357magnum in case length wise.

The 480 will kill paper and critters just as dead as the 475 Linba, kind of like saying the 300 winchester kills LESS than 300 weatherby just isn't so.

Just my option, not saying I wouldn't take 5 shot 475 Linba if given to me
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by junkpile View Post
    I must be on a different wavelength than some of the respondents to this question. Are we talking about a 480 SRH reamed long enough for 475 linebaugh, or are we talking about trying to stuff a 475 cartridge into a 480 chamber? Because the latter obviously won't fit.
    Have you tried it? I have not. All I said was that a Ruger sales rep told me it would fit. I never claimed I believed him, but just that he said it. He seemed sincere enough though. This was during the first run, and it could be that Ruger made the chambers long back then, and they cut them tight now; who knows?

Banned

the 480 runs at 48000 psi and the 475 at 50000. not really enough to make a differnce. I dont know about the longevity of ruger guns running a steady diet of full powered loads and how long doing it before youd run into it loosening up. Keep in mind that with a custom built 475 are tolarences are more precise and the gun is hand fit. Im sure the 480s can be reamed and shot with full power 480s without blowing up but i wouldnt be sure about them getting shot loose after a while. One thing to add though is if your anything like me your 475s or even 480s loads are seldom full power anyway. I also know that when i wanted a 475 da gun and was dealing with dustin linebaugh he told me 5 shot or not at all. Im sure it was liability and him knowing that I do occasionaly push the limits with my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Have you tried it? I have not. All I said was that a Ruger sales rep told me it would fit. I never claimed I believed him, but just that he said it. He seemed sincere enough though. This was during the first run, and it could be that Ruger made the chambers long back then, and they cut them tight now; who knows?
    No I have not. I drooled over the SRH's in 480, but then they disappeared before I could catch one. Now, I prefer single actions to doubles, so still don't have my own. However, case length on a 475 is 1.4", and case length on the 480 is 1.285". Also, I didn't think the SRH cylinder was long enough for the overall length of the 475.

Banned

I love my BFR in .475 Linebaugh, best deer killer ever but the .480 is not to be denied as a great one itself. No need to have more.
    I doubt even the early .480's would take the length of a Linebaugh and it is just not needed anyway.
    The early six shot .480's had strong steel but it would stretch so cases would stick. To shoot the longer rounds if they would fit would make the problem worse.
    Now a SRH with a five shot cylinder would take the Linebaugh and would handle any load you care to shoot. I think the .480 should have been five from the start. It was Ruger pride to make the six shot.
    You need to understand the .475, my BFR is easy and also hard to shoot. It does not hurt and there is no problem running 100 rounds of full power loads but you need control when hunting or the barrel rise and torque will make you over shoot deer. You need some strength for the control and need to hold the gun tight. If you think you will let a .475 "ROLL", don't even think about one.
    It is actually worse then my .500 JRH. But both can twist your wrist from the bench, off hand both need held TIGHT.
    My friend shot my .475 from the bench, split his head and gave himself a huge shiner, told me he likes to hold his guns "loose." Not to be!
    Most recoil problems are from a Milk toast hold and roll. Too many think a Bisley will fix it.
    I am a month away from being 77 years old and I love the big guns.
    Kind of disgusting to see a guy looking for wimp loads in a .44.
    If I had a .480, I would get as many deer as I wanted. By itself it is a jewel.

Banned

wore the front sight blade in the top of my head a few times "letting the linebaugh roll" Like 44man said the 480 is a heck of a well balanced round. Its were 95 percent of my 475 loads are at anyway. I really doubt if theres an animal on earth that would notice the extra 150 fps.

Banned

That is so true Lloyd. So many want to make a gun more then it is. Even the .44 is wanted to be taken to 1500 fps when it does the job at way less. The .45 Colt just has to be taken to .454 ranges.
    There are always two type posts, those looking for no recoil or those looking for the gun busting loads.

Boolit Master
    I most often ran my Linebaugh at lower velocities with WFN cast bullets they would run a deer stem to stern. Even from my 480 lever gun I hold velocities in the 1200 FPS range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast