Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
PBcastco Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 480 ruger ?

Banned

I own many revolvers but there are some I have no use for, the .454. .460 and .500 S&W. They can extend range but I prefer a deer at 20 yards. I am not going to set a rest for long range because deer don't cooperate like that so most shots are off hand with me twisted out of shape. I also do not hunt huge animals. Yet the .475 or a .480 would be at the top for deer. I see no difference between them. Most deer I shoot with the .475 drop right now and if you say your .480 needs more I will beat you black and blue with a feather!
    These calibers are at home with deer but there is no animal on earth you can't use them on either.
    There is something about the .476" boolit that I can't deny. You can shoot a deer one day and a buf the next with the same load.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    wore the front sight blade in the top of my head a few times "letting the linebaugh roll"
    You put a smile on my face this morning Lloyd, as I envisioned that barrel greeting your noggin'.

I've never mishandled a heavy recoiler per se, so no damage to my noggin' yet, but I did manage to disrespect a stupid 45 Colt load in a puny FA97 once, but I got away unscathed, but from that experience, I do know how it feels to have a barrel whizzing by my left ear and winding up just off my shoulder in a nano second - now that took some doing/luck not to lose a little blood pulling that caper off.

I have managed to send a few parts from different firearms flying over my head such as Ruger cylinder pins and front sight hoods.

Banned

Only one revolver I refused to shoot, a .50 Alaskan with shiny, Bisley grips. I hate a Bisley on any revolver. But one that looked buffed where no glove would grip it was OUT!
    Then the owner did split his head wide open so I had the last laugh.
    I watched a video of a gun maker shooting one of those tiny guns with a huge caliber and the gun was beside his left ear every shot. You can't shoot good if you have to put all attention into guiding a gun so you don't get conked.

Banned

I know what shooting a 50ak rifle is like with full power loads and have absolutely no desire to shoot them out of a handgun!!!! Ive been shooting linebaughs of all configurations for years and dont even care if i ever crank off another 475 max or 500 max out of them again either. bottom line is im never going to hunt an elephant and even if i did i dont think the 50ak 500 or 475 max give one iota of advantage in killing something that big over a plain old 475 or 500. that extra velocity can actually hurt penetration and penetration is what you want on big animals more then anything. You surely arent going to shock an elephants system with an extra 200 fps out of a handgun. Nope give me a 475 shooting a 400 grain bullet or a 500 using a 450 grain bullet at 1100-1200 fps. Those loads will do alot of killing. Heck a 44 mag or 45 colt with a 300 grain bullet at those speeds has taken about every game animal in the world.

Banned

That is why I don't like the calibers I mentioned, They are actually too fast. I do not like the .500 S&W either.

I got my .480 SRH for cheap. Mounted 30 mm Ultradot. I ordered a custom 405 gr mold with .500 long nose from Mountain Molds. At least my SRH can chamber it. A bore riding design. I sort of followed John Ross guidelines but for .480. There is about .080" space between the case mouth and cylinder throat in my gun. The first driving band goes to the throat, with finger pressure. I ordered a sizing die for perfect sizing from Lathesmith.

Now I have the same powder capacity as in std. .475 Linebaugh, or in some loads slightly more. However, I am not sure if I need or want more than 1300 fps with 405 gr. I have a .500 S&W for those.

Banned

You will do fine, no need for more. You are at the exact right spot. The .480 will do better then the .500 unless you use jacketed or a softer boolit in the .500.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reader View Post
    I got my .480 SRH for cheap. Mounted 30 mm Ultradot. I ordered a custom 405 gr mold with .500 long nose from Mountain Molds. At least my SRH can chamber it. A bore riding design. I sort of followed John Ross guidelines but for .480. There is about .080" space between the case mouth and cylinder throat in my gun. The first driving band goes to the throat, with finger pressure. I ordered a sizing die for perfect sizing from Lathesmith.

Now I have the same powder capacity as in std. .475 Linebaugh, or in some loads slightly more. However, I am not sure if I need or want more than 1300 fps with 405 gr. I have a .500 S&W for those.
    As noted, the 480 can be loaded long with a bullet designed to maximize the SRH cylinder. I've done that pretty much since the 480 hit the market.

That said, while you can push 400's over 1300 fps, I find the 1200 fps loads much more enjoyable to shoot, and when I can consistently put a cylinder full in 1" at 50 yds, I call it good. I found going over 21 gr of H-110 and 1200 fps my groups opened up.

An extra 100 fps doesn't sound like much, but pushing 400 gr in a handgun you can feel a significant increase in recoil with that additional velocity. That and I figure any situation that I'd want more than 400 @ 1200 fps will be answered by a large rifle, not a more powerful harder kicking handgun.

Boolit Buddy

480 ruger ?

What diameter do you size your 475 Linebaugh or 480 Ruger to?

I have a friend that sizes to 475. Seems a bit on the small side to me, but he claims it works perfect with a 380 gr boolit without gc.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
    Last edited by hunter74; 07-04-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I think everyone has touched on the mistique of the 480 Ruger. It’s definitely underrated. It’s not too big, not too small, and in reality handles any situation I would need a big bore to handle.

Boolit Master
    Mine was fun.... but the cast boolits @ one ounce apiece was draining my lead supply.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

This is what got me into casting. Factory rounds for the 480 are over double what they were when I purchased mine.

You can shoot the Ruger 480 out of the 475 Linebaugh but not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by monge View Post
    Will the 480 ruger sbh shoot 475 linebaugh ?
    No, actually it is just the opposite. The guns chambered In 475 L will chamber 480's. Yes there are great gunsmiths that can rechamber revolvers to do this. The difference in performance between the 2 isn't really that much. I believe most people that own a 475L will tell you recoil starts to get a little past tolerable when you are loading bullets of 400 gr and heavier past 1200 fps. Those type of loads are pretty much where the 480 ends and the 475L takes over. Unless you have a special need for the max power you will be well served with the 480.

Boolit Master
    Best load I have for the 480 Ruger is 370 Grain HP GC from a Mihec mould. Loaded to around 950-1000 FPS it hits hard and does good damage and the wad cutter drive deep. No recoil issues either. I use Universal powder. If I am out of that Unique works just as well. I have two lever guns in 480 and some Encore barrels they shoot this load very accurately and the wet newsprint tests when compared to performers was impressive. I am not enamoured with beating myself up with recoil any more.

480 was the reason i got into reloading and casting, jumped into the caliber via trade without much research on it, was looking for a 454 as i heard the 480 was near extinct but man am i glad i chanced the 480.

as others mentioned its just behind the 475L, shoot I played on Mountainmolds and ordered a WLN 440gr for my super redhawk, .5 nose with enough room for 23gr W296, think about 1150-1200fps. might've been able to get 24 but i used Hogue wood grips for those 440's and that recoil is plain brutal, the DA bottlenecks every bit of recoil into the web of your hand, like high fiving a 2x4 each time, with a running start. But that Super Redhawk kept on eating those carts.

Sold off the SRH for a SBH Bisley, tweaked the 440 to a 435gr with a shorter nose for the recessed cylinder. I loved that Redhawk but man the bisley is just perfect for me. Even got lucky with nicely fitted grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBHB.jpg  
    Last edited by Rug480; 07-10-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Mold
    Love my 480, if you can't kill it with 6-410gr bullets at 1200fps you are in big trouble already. John Taffin killed an American bison with a 410gr 475 bullet at 1000fps. He hit it in the front shoulder at 60 yards and the bullet stopped on the far side just under the skin. Now that is penetration you can live with. As Mike Venturino says (paraphrasing here), more velocity (45-70 with 500gr bullet @ 1100 to 1200fps) only makes a bigger divot on the other side of the animal! Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-480 Super Redhawk2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug480 View Post
    480 was the reason i got into reloading and casting, jumped into the caliber via trade without much research on it, was looking for a 454 as i heard the 480 was near extinct but man am i glad i chanced the 480.

as others mentioned its just behind the 475L, shoot I played on Mountainmolds and ordered a WLN 440gr for my super redhawk, .5 nose with enough room for 23gr W296, think about 1150-1200fps. might've been able to get 24 but i used Hogue wood grips for those 440's and that recoil is plain brutal, the DA bottlenecks every bit of recoil into the web of your hand, like high fiving a 2x4 each time, with a running start. But that Super Redhawk kept on eating those carts.

Sold off the SRH for a SBH Bisley, tweaked the 440 to a 435gr with a shorter nose for the recessed cylinder. I loved that Redhawk but man the bisley is just perfect for me. Even got lucky with nicely fitted grips.
    Nice gun the recoil is ok but I am not huge fan anymore that's why I absolutely love that 370 grain GC HP around 1000 FPS. Deer I have shot drop where they stand or short sprint and fold.

Boolit Master

I load my 475 LB with MiHec 376-640s @ 1150. I can push them harder but no need since that combo will go through a steer/bison shoulder to shoulder. A 480 will reach that velocity no problem, might have to load to the higher end on the shorter barrels.

I'm presently looking for a 2 digit prefix bisvaquero for a 5 shot conversion. I plan on a 4 5/8" barrel as a packer, fixed sights, dovetail front and micarta grips. A smal easier to carry option over my 7.5" barreled FA. Discussed it with a smiff who wanted to go 475. My response was 480s fine, if I need more, I could send the cylinder back to get reamed for the londer cartridge.

Boolit Master
    It's strange, but I can handle the recoil from a SRH a lot better than a SBH.... And my encore pistol in .454 was too much......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast