Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Old Star Sizer

Boolit Master

Old Star Sizer

I have an older (according to information supplied by the old timer who sold it to me) Star boolit sizer that is in really great condition. No difficulties whatever. Just noticed today that the handle has stamped next to the wood on the steel that is crimped to the wood the following: Lutz File & Tool Co., Cinci., Ohio. Would this be a way to date some of these Star Sizers or are they all alike? Mine has the San Deigo stamp on the base. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 11-01-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: correction

That's probably where the star company got their handle was from Lutz.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    That's probably where the star company got their handle was from Lutz.
    Hi,
    Yes, STAR used wooden file handle to make their handles and work well for me. Never saw a need to "upgrade" to a shovel handle!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

seagiant: Same with me. I've noted with interest the automation with compressors or air pressure and bullet feeders, but my basement temperature will run within a couple of degrees of the upstairs and have seen no need to add anything else to my Star. BTW, you wouldn't want to get rid of one of those Stars would you? (Frankly, if you do not, I understand!). Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    seagiant: Same with me. I've noted with interest the automation with compressors or air pressure and bullet feeders, but my basement temperature will run within a couple of degrees of the upstairs and have seen no need to add anything else to my Star. BTW, you wouldn't want to get rid of one of those Stars would you? (Frankly, if you do not, I understand!). Big Boomer
    Hi,
    No,I was lucky and got mine before they went through the roof! I bought 3 one time at a swap meet at my gun club for $85! The seller thought one of them did not work but I had it going with a little TLC and it is now my dedicated 45 ACP lube/sizer! Good luck!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The early Stars used an in house made wooden handle or one that bears no markings. I have three of the San Diego sizers and they all have these slim no name wood handles. Two of the sizers have the press fit lube tube and one has the lube tube held in with a large locking nut. This makes it a later model and the one that is made by Magma today. I purchased a Magma model in about 2009 or so and it had the Lutz brand handle. Lutz supplies handles to many tool companies. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Thanks cajun shooter for that additional info. Really like the back-and-forth among Star luber owners that allows us to document some of the history. Big Boomer

Black Powder 100%

You can also look at the way the lube cylinder is attached to the aluminum base on the Star. The early models from San Diego when Star was on 418 10th Ave. all were built with a press fit into the base. The last models built by Star had a nut on the lube cylinder that attached it to the base.
    This is the same design that is used by Magma today. Two of my Stars have the press fit and one has the nut, although still made by Star.
    I saw a posting that said the models with cylinders that were attached with the nut were all made by Magma and that is false as Star made them first.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Cajun shooter: My Star has the large nut at the bottom. It may not be an early model, but has the marking of San Deigo, etc. I think Star used old parts off and on until the supply ran out. Great machines. Big Boomer

Boolit Buddy

2 of my 4 Star Sizers have the press fit and the other 2 have the large nut fitting... All are marked on the base with STAR MACHINE WORKS, San Diego, Cailf.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Master

2 of my Star's have the San Diego sticker without a ZIP code, 2 others do include the ZIP. This dates them pre-1963 so they are probably older than me (born 1962). One of these I got NIB for $40 at an estate sale a few years ago. It came with a number of punches and dies also still wrapped in the original packaging as far as I can tell.

The handles where apparently the only parts that Star did not manufacture themselves and according to research on the Interwebs Lutz manufactured a range of handles for many period company products.

The original handle works well but after I had carpal tunnel surgery I could no longer use these as it hurt after a sizing session so I made my own handle that is similar to a spade handle for volume work. Another I made has a 8-ball on the shaft and it works well as it distributes the pressure in the hand.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Black Powder 100%

The best handle that I have ever put on any of my Stars is the roller handle made by Lathesmith on this forum.
    Lutz has made file handles, trowels and so on.
    The Stars that were made in San Diego with the nut are not stick together items but an improvement used by the company. When Magma purchased the rights to build from Star, they continued to use this improvement. So if you have a San Diego Star with the nut, you have one of the last models produced by them before they sold out.

Boolit Master

cajun shooter: Thanks for that bit of info. Glad the big nut is an improvement. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    I'll second cajun shooter on the Lathesmith roller handle, worth every penny.

Boolit Master

Was using one of my San Diego Star's this evening and happened to notice a difference between 2 of the machines that have nuts on the lube tube. The casting of 1 of the the 2 with the nuts is different in the the portion above the brass plug is flat on the newer unit. Also, there is a washer below the nut on the newer unit. I infer that it is the newer style as the press-fit unit lower casting is the same on 1 with the nut. See pic for what I am referring to. I have no idea what the Magma Star units look like as I don't have one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	144068
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Black Powder 100%

blikseme 300, In your picture, the Stars are shown in order of production by going from front to rear. The first one is an early model, the second is the improvement made with the nut and the third is the model that Magma bought the rights to reproduce. If you will notice that it not only had the nut with washer but it also has had the die set screw left out as Star felt no need to have them anymore. Later David