ADvertise hereRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Pyrodex

This is a bit dated, but I plan to answer it anyway. Pack in the mid 1970's Pyrodex was the only game in town if you couldn't find Real Black Powder. I picked up my first can of Pyrodex in 1976. I would shoot it out of my T/C Hawken. I was trained right when it came to BP clean-up, do it asap with HOT Soapy Water. Dry it out and oil to keep it from rusting. The key is VERY HOT Soapy Water. The hotter the better. The metal gets hot and the water evaporates. A few dry patches down the bore and then a light coat of oil. Keeping this practice keeps my guns rust free. It has only been the last few years that I've heard of Pyrodex being corrosive as acid.

As I've said. Clean as soon as possible after shooting. Within hours, not days.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    Once upon a time shooters valued their guns and were happy to clean and oil them properly......that time has passed...the young now want convenience...and excuses .........pyrodex has always been highly corrosive,and still is......certainly not near as corrosive as any mineral acid.......the whole reason for pyrodex was its explosive classification...and still is.....the young need plastic guns with stainless barrels and need not stain their soft hands with oil.

Boolit Master
    Why John, Whatever do you mean?

Boolit Master
    Here we go again . The rantings of the "Holy BLack People" . Doom and Gloom. Casting Spells
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    ARTCA
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    salpal48, I use pyrodex............ because it is readily available. I have nothing against real black. There are a few that are/were brainwashed about pyro. I can say with mass amounts of experience................ it is all about your housekeeping regiment. Do a good and thorough barrel cleaning with the correct cleaning agents and the barrel will shine just like a 40 year old mirror.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678