Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments thread: November 2014 Photo contest

Moderator Emeritus

Comments thread: November 2014 Photo contest

Comments go here
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

So glad you did not want a turkey in a hunt, as in a bird.
    This month should be a good one.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

that 225450 is probably my favorite mold with the hornet or 222 even the zippy 22/250

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    cbrick,
    The question in my mind is not "how did that happen?" It is more "how many got cast before it was noticed?"
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    cbrick,
    The question in my mind is not "how did that happen?" It is more "how many got cast before it was noticed?"
    Not many. I air cool dropping them on a towel and I never keep the first few pours even though I pre-heat in a mold oven so I hadn't really paid attention to the first few. It's a 4 cav mold and there were probably 8 or 12 bullets laying there when I got kinda cross eyed looking at them thinking what the . . . .

Had to take a picture of that though, nobody would have believed me that I really did invent the half check boolit.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

thats gotta say something about the tolerances in a MP mould for two halves to fit together that well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    thats gotta say something about the tolerances in a MP mould for two halves to fit together that well...
    It does yes, two different molds and not even a parting line on the bullet. Pretty amazing.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I've got a love-hate relationship with my ideal 224450 mold. I've had a few guns that have loved it, and a few that sort of tossed them in the general direction of the target, but didn't even do that with conviction. From the looks of that herters mold, It's pretty close to identical.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing Ole George had Lyman make the blocks and he had the sprue plate made somewhere else... that's just my guess.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Even with 27 days left in the month, I think Cbrick already won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

I dunno Art, is that a turkey or a very old collectors item?

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I dunno Art, is that a turkey or a very old collectors item?

Rick
    Was wondering the same Art.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Well, it's in my collection and I did have to pay for it. But I ain't going to use it - so Turkey in my book.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Well, it's in my collection and I did have to pay for it. But I ain't going to use it - so Turkey in my book.
    I have a very similar goofy mold. I'll have to dig it out and get a pic posted.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy
    Cbrick, That be sweet!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Boy, I guess this theme "turkey" is itself a real turkey.
    only 3 submissions ?
    either very few of us have a turkey, or they don't want to brag about it ?
    OR
    they are waiting til after thanksgiving to post photos ?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-19-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

Probably most turkey's go right back into the pot instead of posing for a picture. I know I've cast plenty that went back in the pot before anyone had a chance to see them.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    That's exactly what it is for me, I've cast plenty of turkeys but they all go back in the pot.

Boolit Master
    I have a older style inexpensive single cavity Lee 309-150 grain GC mould... That a relative modified (poorly) using a drill press, and a drill bit boring it out to roughly 41 caliber.

There's a long story behind the mould. It involves the 41 Long Colt cartridge, and a departed family member's Colt Lightning or Thunderer revolver.

Those already familiar with reloading for the 41 Long Colt caliber will know that it's a heel based boolit, and why a 41 caliber drilled out mould simply doesn't work for this application.

The mould came to me after, and I still don't really know what to do with it. I keep thinking maybe it will be a core mould for swaging some day, or I can do something with a sizer die to clean it up for another caliber (heavy 41 Magnum perhaps?) in the future.

Its very rough in finish and profile, and I don't have a boolit cast from it on hand, or else I would be tempted to photograph it to show to everyone. It would fit quite nicely into this months "Turkey" category.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit for pictures:

I couldn't stop thinking about it after making this post, so I broke out the drill bit Turkey mould, and I cast a few boolits with it really fast.

They mic out at .406 and were not .41 caliber like I previously suspected. A pass through a Lee push through sizer (and some mould lapping/polishing) and it may work as a heavy 10mm boolit for me.

A quick sampling showed them weighing in at:

Cast from Lino. I attribute it to pure luck that they were even close 250 grains.

Drill Bit mould below

And a few quick (and cold) sample cast boolits from the Turkey mould

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 11-20-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added pictures , I broke down and cast some with the mould.

Boolit Grand Master

Bullwolf, that's a real . . . What was he thinking?

At least it was a LEE.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast