RotoMetals2PBcastcoRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I just bought a cantilever rifled barrel for my 870...what mold?

Boolit Buddy

So I just bought a cantilever rifled barrel for my 870...what mold?

So I'm totally new to shotshell reloading, I don't even have a press. Just a guns show find Lee Loader. As stated in the title, I recently purchased a new cantilever slug barrel for my 870. Also the Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32mm circle-x shot gun scope. I'm totally in the dark as to the type of slug mold to buy to use in a rifled barrel. I would like to use it for deer hunting as Ilive on the edge of a shotgun only zone. I realize every barrel will be different but is there a general rule as to the type of slug to use?

I am still looking for a rifled barrel for my Mossberg 500, but I already got the Lyman 525gr slug mold (looks like a big ol pellet gun round)

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting slugs for 30 some years, as I live and hunt in a shotgun only zone (until this year, that the state changed the regs, allowing the use of certain straight walled cartridges, .38 cal or larger, no longer than 1.6 inches) I have used rem and win 2-3/4" foster slugs on a 20" IC barrel and could get 2-3/4" groups at 50 yds all day long. Eventually, I purchased a 24" Hastings fully rifled barrel. Previous owner used regular foster slugs, and I did, too. Eventually, I tried Remington solid copper slugs, and they were awesome. My range increased to 75 yds, maintaining pretty much the same accuracy. However, the cost of the solid copper slugs did not justify the increase in accuracy. Now, I shoot foster slugs through the fully rifle barrel, and accuracy has not suffered. I have limited my range somewhat due to my eyesight not being what it used to be when I was younger. As far as reloading slugs, I have tried it, but found it much easier and simpler to buy factory slugs when on sale.

Boolit Buddy
    Those barrels are optimized for sabot slugs (the $3 a shot kind, like Remington AccuTips), and those will generally give you the best accuracy, though you still need to find the best match for your gun.

Lee slug molds are cheap and readily available, and those slugs work quite well in a rifled barrel (personally, I like the 7/8 oz better for general target practice, but the 1 oz slug would make a better hunting load. In either case, you'll also need to try different wad/load combos to find the best load for your gun (a lot has to do with the fit in the barrel, and this can even change from one casting batch to another depending on the lead alloy used.) If 4-6" groups at 100 yards are good enough for you, then these will work, and they are the most economical.

Everyone seems to hate the Lyman Foster slug mold, because it's too big for a wad and too small for most bores, but I've never used those. The Lyman sabot slug is generally easier to load, since it fits into many wads. It's a very heavy slug, though, and you don't have a choice of weights; it's also a more expensive mold to buy.

I'd also suggest the possibility of roundballs---I shoot them out of a rifled barrel (Lee .690), and they work well. The accuracy of the regular Lee Drive Key slugs is better for me, but the roundballs pack a serious wallop at 1-1/8 oz. Full bore roundballs are very heavy, but they'll take down anything!

Some of the folks on this forum have used some rather exotic and expensive custom molds, but it makes sense to try something cheap and simple first.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm no expert on rifled barrels as I have generally been sticking to smoothbore. However, I did borrow a rifled Remington 870 a couple of years ago and shot some of my 0.735" round ball loads from it. They were very accurate giving several 2" groups at 50 yards. I did not get to try them at 100 yards.

I like the big 'ol round balls. Easy to cast and easy to load. Generally I use round balls in shotcups for smoothbore.

You might look at Accurate Molds website. Tom has a variety of full bore solid slugs for rifled guns.

Longbow

Has anyone here tried the full bore slugs from any of Toms molds? I would love to know how they work. I take it these would be used with a straight walled case and the old style wads and a roll crimp?

Boolit Buddy
    Been looking for an answer also after picking up a rifled slug barrel for a mossberg 500. Seems like mixed reviews.

Boolit Buddy
    So if I picked up the Lee molds would it be ok to cast with clip on wheel weight alloy? I have hardly any pure/close to pure and save that for swaging.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
    So if I picked up the Lee molds would it be ok to cast with clip on wheel weight alloy? I have hardly any pure/close to pure and save that for swaging.
    As long as you're not shooting them through a choke, it shouldn't be a problem, but check the fit after casting. You might also want to try some mold release, or at least smoke the mold a lot---WWs can stick a bit on that center pin. Dry lube spray works well if you don't have actual mold release.

Banned

I used the Lyman Sabot mold for 4 different slug guns. It was the easiest one to get to shoot well for me. The main trick was to get the right height and getting it to fit in the wad. If one of the petals went under the slug at the top it would be a major flier.

What most don't realize is you can only use new hulls 2x's and 1x fired pickups 1x. I ran them over a chrono and the speeds dropped dramatically. That was one reason most have problems. But they don't know why unless you are chronoing them.

Lee slugs were the worst. I really never could get them to shoot accurately for me. They were OK to 75 or so yds. After that they would fall apart for me.

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 525 Sabot slug in my Remington 870 with the Hastings cantilever barrel. I readily get 2" groups at 50 yards.They are easy to cast and easy to load. I have never tried the Lee slugs, but from other posts, the accuracy is inconsistent at best. Personally, to me, the Lee slugs don't even look like they would be accurate in any bore.
    I have tested and shot very good groups (9 shots in 2" - 2 1/2") with .678 round balls in wads. Again, easy to cast and load. Just get the height right for the crimp, but that is necessary for any shot shell loads, shot or slug.
    I just bought a Lyman .735 mold from another member. I will be getting it this coming week. I'm very interested in testing those big balls for accuracy. Hopefully, I can ditto those groups that Longbow shot with his 735 ball loads.
    Regards
    Jack

Boolit Master
    I've cast and loaded slugs for over 20 years... mostly Lyman 525's, but recently got a Browning A-Bolt and it wasn't as fond of them and I tried the Hammerhead slugs from SlugsRUs... they shot better and don't need a shotshell loader. I recently bought a mold to make the slugs and now only have to buy the wads and new hulls... roll crimp them in a drill press... The slug stays in the wad until it reaches the target... at least out to 150 yds on the firing range... hope to try them on whitetail in two weeks.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    I've cast and loaded slugs for over 20 years... mostly Lyman 525's, but recently got a Browning A-Bolt and it wasn't as fond of them and I tried the Hammerhead slugs from SlugsRUs... they shot better and don't need a shotshell loader. I recently bought a mold to make the slugs and now only have to buy the wads and new hulls... roll crimp them in a drill press... The slug stays in the wad until it reaches the target... at least out to 150 yds on the firing range... hope to try them on whitetail in two weeks.
    Do you have any pictures of those slugs? Where did you get the mold from?

Boolit Buddy
    This got me curious, so I used my Google-Fu and found this: http://www.slugsrus.com/store/index.html

Looks like they had a custom mold made from Lee blocks; nice looking slug, but the downside is that you're stuck with their proprietary wads forever, and they are rather expensive ($0.40 each, plus shipping). Since you can buy the slugs in the wads for $0.75 each, not sure that makes any sense.

Banned

That mold is a new addition to Slugs R Us. The Hammerhead is similar to the wad/slug used in the Rotweil Lases Plus ammunition which has a very good reputation. It is a non-discarding sabot and it is pricy, but also has a good reputation. I want to try them. The price is not crazy, but is on the expensive side. The RSS-12 Rigid Structure Sabot form Ballastic Products is $.34 per plus shipping. Both use .50 caliber slugs/bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately that slug and wad combo is a no go for me as I'm 99% sure the wads can't be shipped to Canada. Are there any molds made for Brenneke slugs?

Boolit Grand Master

No. I made my own mould for a Brenneke like slug and Cap'n Morgan has done a very nice Brenneke style mould as well. So far Mine have not provided good enough accuracy for my wants. My suspicion is that the wad column is just not consistent enough or firm enough... maybe both. I am using smoothbore though.

To my knowledge, traditional Brenneke slugs are not suitable for rifled barrels. Some of the new Brenneke styles say they can be used in rifled guns but they have proprietary wads.

I have also made a jig to use hot melt glue as a skirt/wad to make my Lee slugs into Brenneke like slugs which improved accuracy noticeably from my smoothbores but should not be at all necessary for rifled gun.

For a rifled barrel you are probably best served with a solid groove diameter slug, Lyman sabot slug or Lee Drive Key Slug... or the good 'ol full bore round ball. I don't think rifled guns are too hard to feed and get decent accuracy from where smoothbores seem to be picky and for the most part decent accuracy seems limited to 50 to 75 yards.

Just my opinion.

Longbow

Banned

My factory smoothbore is very accurate with Win foster slugs. It shoots right at 4" at 100 yds. I have shot it out to 300 yds and it is amazingly accurate. At 200 yds I can keep them on a 12" steel plate we have hanging every shot. I wish I could get something to be even close to that that I can load. I gave up loading slugs for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Much the same as my experiences tomme boy. I can't claim 12" at 200 yards but certainly amazingly accurate to 100 yards and I have not even come close with home cast and loaded slugs. Again, I think wad column "quality" is a large part of it.Longbow

Banned

They are using hard cards and vegetable wads. The Brenneke slugs are a hard card and a felt wad. Cap'n Morgan has a very nice mold! I wish I could get one like it. I would be playing with slugs more. I really like how the Brenneke's slugs work on deer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast