Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Alox overcoating?

Boolit Mold

Alox overcoating?

I got some great here on info on a batch of cast .357 I found cheap. I was not sure if they were coated yet? Would it be an issue if they ARE coated to over coat with Alox as insurance?

The reason is I shot some of them today in my SR9 and picked up a fair amount of fouling after 40 rounds. On the same thought, a nice older guy at the range told me I should load a "j" round every 3 or so to help clear the fouling? I just smiled and said thanks .... it didn't work BTW!

Gerry

You can coat with tumble lube over almost anything and it will work at least reasonably well. I have never done it to jacketed yet.
    If you are not certain a boolit is coated, it probably hasn't been. Hence the leading.
    Often shooting jacketed through a leaded barrel simply thins and plates the lead onto the barrel worse than it would have been otherwise. Sometimes it makes the lead harder to get out.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with tazman. Shooting jacketed to remove prior leading will just iron the lead out to a degree. Best thing to do is size your boolits to the correct size for that bore and use a lube that functions well for that load. Clean your lead out the old fashion way. Chore boy, JB cleaner, wire brush, Flitz, solvents & patches, steel wool, lead removal cloth, and elbow grease.

Recently I picked up several hundred Penn 240 grain 44 SWC bullets, with the traditional, commercial, hard lube. I tumble lubed them with Lee Liquid Alox and shot them with nary a hiccup, and no leading.

Boolit Master

All of my 9mm pistols (and 2 carbines) prefered boolits cast softer than straight WW and sized to .358 diameter. After 30 years of NRA 50/50 or Javalina, I've been powder coating all of my projectiles. I still size to .358 after I ESPC or ASBBDTL and bake. A couple of years ago, I tried sizing to .357 and got tumbling boolits and bad leading. That was with standard or polygonal rifling. Try sizing bigger and see how she likes it.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

One tool necessary for successfully shooting lead bullets is a 1" Micrometer. Measure your bullets. Slug your cylinder throats and measure the slugs. Slug the barrel and measure the slug. Throats need to be larger than groove diameter of the barrel. If the bullets are smaller than the throats/bbl. groove there's a good chance of leading.

What kind of bullets are you using? Do they have a groove around the body of the bullet, filled with a waxy substance? Are they flat sided with a knurl?

Yep, you can re-lube with alox. On some bullets additional lube will help leading but the most important thing is bullet-bore fit...
    My Anchor is holding fast!