Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Red Formula

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    +1. Cholula hot sauce with the wooden cap. I keep a salsa jar with metal lid handy for soaking revolver cylinders.

Thanks, Mr. E.H. for sharing and making sure firearms enthusiasts like us can easily find the formula, I've been using it for years.

Gear
    I also like Cholula hot sauce bottles. I make my own shaving oil & keep it in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Since this thread has been resurrected I'll add a couple of things that have been posted in other threads. I apparently missed this thread when it was first started. I especially appreciate jmort's posting of all the variations of Ed's Red. Quite awhile back I encountered an alternative to Ed's Red, which although similar, the components were somewhat easier to find. It was developed by Steve Hurst, who also is a member here and elsewhere. I have made up batches of both and really can't tell any difference.

In his write up of what he called Steve's Squeeze, Mr. Hurst also recommended a mix that included Lee Liquid Alox for rust protection. LLA is basically Alox 606, which is an excellent rust protector. As I recall, the navy used it to coat equipment stored on the decks of ships. In fairness to Mr. Harris, he only mentioned using lanolin to protect against fingerprints.

BTW, I have bookmarked the Father Frog website referred to in jmort's post. Very interesting!
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Since this thread has been resurrected I'll add a couple of things that have been posted in other threads. I apparently missed this thread when it was first started. I especially appreciate jmort's posting of all the variations of Ed's Red. Quite awhile back I encountered an alternative to Ed's Red, which although similar, the components were somewhat easier to find. It was developed by Steve Hurst, who also is a member here and elsewhere. I have made up batches of both and really can't tell any difference.

In his write up of what he called Steve's Squeeze, Mr. Hurst also recommended a mix that included Lee Liquid Alox for rust protection. LLA is basically Alox 606, which is an excellent rust protector. As I recall, the navy used it to coat equipment stored on the decks of ships. In fairness to Mr. Harris, he only mentioned using lanolin to protect against fingerprints.

BTW, I have bookmarked the Father Frog website referred to in jmort's post. Very interesting!
    Yup, check out his gun cleaner test results page.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master

I use it for almost everything associated with gun or metal cleaning and maintenance. It is the best penetrating oil I have have ever used.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Lee Liquid Alox is less expensive than, and easier to find these days than anhydrous lanolin.

One bottle of LLA blended into a gallon of Ed's Red seems to do the trick.

I discussed this with Ed Harris.

He agrees that adding LLA would be a product improvement over the original ER formula so this has his official validation!

Kudos to Steve Hurst for the idea!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Many thanks, Outpost75 and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Your Friendly Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Ed's Red Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The Lee Liquid Alox is less expensive than, and easier to find these days than anhydrous lanolin.

One bottle of LLA blended into a gallon of Ed's Red seems to do the trick.

I discussed this with Ed Harris.

He agrees that adding LLA would be a product improvement over the original ER formula so this has his official validation!

Kudos to Steve Hurst for the idea!
    Go to maternity section in Walmart, look for what looks like toothpaste tubes.
    Nipple cream=lanolin.
    [URL]http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm [URL]

Boolit Master
    Would Type F trans fluid be ok to substitute for the Dextron? Just trying to avoid a trip into town.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Would Type F trans fluid be ok to substitute for the Dextron? Just trying to avoid a trip into town.
    Yes, absolutely! When Ed mixed his very first batch of Ed's Red he drove a 1970 Ford Police Interceptor so I know for a fact that he used type F because that's what he had. He didn't change to Dextron until he got married and bought a clone of the Blues Brothers Tactical Cadillac, a dark blue 1987 "land yacht" with leather upholstery.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    And I just went out and bought dexton because all I had at home was type f fluid. Will try a batch with ALOX in it. Was waiting to make a batch because I have everything but the lanolin . I have plenty of alox

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    And I just went out and bought dexton because all I had at home was type f fluid. Will try a batch with ALOX in it. Was waiting to make a batch because I have everything but the lanolin . I have plenty of alox
    Substituting LLA for the lanolin will work just fine.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Thanks outpost 75 will do. I also tried a little atf mixed with lamp oil the type you buy at Walmart. I ran out of gun oil and thought why not. I didint have any kerosene and can’t get any untill next week. Found out the gas station by my house dosent sell it any more. The lamp oil is like oderless kerosene to me a very light oil so I decided to make a very small jar of it . It seems to work great.

Boolit Master

I leave out the acetone and lanolin when I make Ed's. I don't need to clean out wad plastic so the acetone isn't needed and I use a separate lube so the lanolin isn't needed.

I do use Ed's lube:

Ed's Red lube:
    2-Quarts Synthetic Motor Oil.
    1-Quart Automatic Transmission Fluid. Brand and spec don't matter.
    1-Bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
    1-7 oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

This stuff is SLICK!
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I use Ball jars (canning jars). The itty bitty ones work to put a little into for each cleaning session.
    That's what I keep mine in. I also leave out the Acetone most times as I don't shoot shotgun much at all. I lube the firearm with Ballistol or 5w20 Full Synthetic.

I'm also almost out so I'm glad someone brought this zombie thread back as a quick reference for me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

So JonP, what do you think about Ballistol as a lube? I found my pocket knives were much better served with a clp than Ballistol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I leave out the acetone and lanolin when I make Ed's. I don't need to clean out wad plastic so the acetone isn't needed and I use a separate lube so the lanolin isn't needed.

I do use Ed's lube:

Ed's Red lube:
    2-Quarts Synthetic Motor Oil.
    1-Quart Automatic Transmission Fluid. Brand and spec don't matter.
    1-Bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
    1-7 oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

This stuff is SLICK!
    I made some of this a couple of months ago. As usual I misread or read too much into the recipe. In addition of 7 oz of Hoppe's #9, I just put 7 oz of STP. When I read the quoted post yesterday, I went to the shop and looked at the recipe I had printed and sure enough, it said a bottle of STP. Looked at the bottle I had used and sure enough, it was half full. Would probably been OK as is but I decided to pour in the rest of the STP. I guess that can't hurt anything either.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    So JonP, what do you think about Ballistol as a lube? I found my pocket knives were much better served with a clp than Ballistol.

I use it all the time for short term lube. Makes a great mixture to neutralize blackpowder or corrosive ammo. I also cut it for drilling lube and use it to spray down saw blades for storage on the wall in the garage. The thing I do like about it is that it cleans easy with soap and water so I can wash it off my molds easily. Spray them down and put them in ziploc bags for storage.

For things I would use a lot and not want to mess with or use in different environments like a knife I'd use something else.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    .... it said a bottle of STP. Looked at the bottle I had used and sure enough, it was half full. Would probably been OK as is but I decided to pour in the rest of the STP. I guess that can't hurt anything either.
    I would not. Gooey stuff like STP will eventually dry to a gooey mess like thick varnish; that's not good for precision devices (like triggers and fishing reels). That's probably true for lanolin/alox too.

Automatic Transmission Fluid, any version of it, is perhaps the best fine instrument loob commonly available and it's cheep too. ATF penetrates well, makes a great moderate time rust protector and it leaves no residue when it (finally) evaporates. That makes ATF one of the very best fishing reel and light gun oils we can buy at any price. Thinning it a bit with kerosene/mineral spirits/paint thinner modestly improves its penetration characteristics.

I don't want to be concerned about damaging plastics and stock finishes with my fine oil so I won't include acetone, etc.

My simple fine oil mix: just ATF and odorless mineral spirits, both in quarts from Walmart. The percentages aren't critical and it works great.
    Last edited by 1hole; 01-12-2020 at 06:51 PM.

For those who want lanolin in their Ed's Red, my dairy farmer neighbor says that he's been using Bag Balm to mix his Ed's Red for over 20 years and it works fine. Ed's Red also cures mange on hound dogs and barn cats.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I bought a dozen pint cans from a vendor that I found by Googling "metal cans". Can't remember the vendor. They come in handy for my own use as well as giving to others.
    https://www.houseofcans.com/pint-obl...13r717mj37b9k5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast