WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Red Formula

Boolit Mold

Ed's Red Formula

I made up a bach and stored it in metal container 6 years ago. I love the stuff, and it didn't deteriorate in storage, but now I'm about out and can't find the formula in my notes. Can anybody refresh my memory?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away

Banned

From Father Frog

Bore Cleaners
    Ed's Red
    As a general bore cleaner, plastic wad remover, and carbon solvent the following formula, a creation of C.E Harris, and dubbed "Ed's Red" works quite well. In fact many folks claim it is better than anything they've tried. The original formula is:

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III Automatic Transmission Fluid - GM Spec D20265 or later
    1 part K1 Kerosene
    1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits federal spec TT-T-2981F (CAS# 64741-49-9) or Stodard Solvent/Varsol
    (CAS#8052-41-1)
    1 part Acetone (CAS#67-64-1)

Formula Addendum
    It has been reported that methyethylketone/MEK (CAS#78-93-3) can be satisfactorily substituted for the acetone if desired.
    It has been reported that Turpentine can be satisfactorily substituted for the Mineral Spirits if desired. The original Frankford Arsenal formula upon which Ed's Red is based used turpentine rather than mineral spirits which were substituted for lower cost. Turpentine also tends to leave a gummy residue.
    It has been reported that Kroil penetrating oil can be satisfactorily substituted for the kerosene if desired.
    It has been reported that the lower numbered "JP" jet fuels can be used in place of kerosene.
    It has been reported that Goo-Gone (a commercial citrus based solvent) can be satisfactorily substituted for the mineral spirits if desired.
    It has been reported that commercial automotive "engine flush" can be substituted for the ATF (but you lose the red color and the lubrication qualities).
    For each gallon of Ed's Red produced you can also add 1 pound of anhydrous lanolin (CAS#8006-54-0), which helps to neutralize fingerprints but it's really not necessary and current formulations generally omit it. You can also leave out the acetone but then it doesn't remove plastic wad fouling or penetrate as well. Store in airtight chemical-proof containers as the acetone, if used, will evaporate. Two sources for bulk anhydrous lanolin are http://www.selectoils.com/item--Lano...O-Lanolin.html and http://www.thesage.com/ .
    According to Ed, "Ed's Red" will flow at -65oF and won't carbonize at 600oF. It has seen use by both the FBI and the Army Marksmanship Training Units.
    MIXING INSTRUCTIONS
    Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, or chemical-resistant, heavy gage NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers. Do NOT use light weight, thin, high density polyethelyne (HDPE), which is breathable, because the acetone will gradually evaporate. Don't use PVC containers as they will dissolve. A possible online source for metal 1 pint and 1 quart screw top metal containers suitable for storing Ed's Red is http://www.taxidermy.com . This site appears to be some sort of frames based design that does not allow you to link directly to containers, but you can find them via the following site links Products | Molding and Casting | Containers, Cups and Tools. The Blitz USA line of approved gasoline containers can be obtained at Auto Zone, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, and other retailers and are what I use. (www.blitzusa.com).

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed.
    You can divert a small quantity, up to 4 ounces per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix for use as an "Ed's Red-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the mix.
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING
    a) Insure that the firearm is unloaded and that all magazines are removed. Cleaning is most effective when done while the barrel is still warm to the touch from firing. Saturate a cotton patch with Ed's Red, wrap or impale on a jag and push it through the bore from breech to muzzle. The patch should be a snug fit. Let the first patch fall off and do not pull it back into the bore.

b) Wet a second patch, and similarly start it into the bore from the breech, this time scrubbing from the throat area forward in 4-5" strokes and gradually advancing until the patch emerges out the muzzle. Waiting approximately 1 minute to let the bore cleaner soak will improve its action.
    c. For pitted, heavily carbon-fouled "rattle battle" guns, leaded revolvers or neglected bores a bronze brush wet with bore cleaner may be used to remove stubborn deposits. This is unnecessary for smooth, target-grade barrels in routine use.
    d) Use a final wet patch pushed straight through the bore to flush out loosened residue dissolved by Ed's Red. Let the patch fall off the jag without pulling it back into the bore. If you are finished firing, leaving the bore wet will protect it from rust for up to 30 days. If the lanolin is incorporated into the mixture, it will protect the firearm from rust for up to two years.
    e) Wipe spilled Ed's Red from exterior surfaces before storing the gun. While Ed's Red is harmless to blue and nickel finishes, the acetone it contains is harmful to most wood finishes and it could damage some plastics if left in prolonged contact.
    f) Before firing again, push two dry patches through the bore and dry the chamber, using a patch wrapped around a suitably sized brush or jag. First shot point of impact usually will not be disturbed by Ed's Red if the bore is cleaned as described.
    It has been reported that when Ed's Red is used exclusively and thoroughly, that hot water cleaning is unnecessary after use of Pyrodex or military chlorate primers. However, if bores are not wiped between shots and are heavily caked from black powder fouling, hot water cleaning is recommended first to break up heavy fouling deposits. Water cleaning should be followed by a thorough flush with Ed's Red to prevent after-rusting which could result from residual moisture. It is ALWAYS good practice to clean twice, two days apart, whenever using chlorate primed ammunition, just to make sure you get all the residue out.
    Thanks to Jim Dodd for the above instructions
    An unusual use for Ed's Red. Several correspondents report that an application of Ed's Red to an ant hill, especially fire ants, kills 'em dead.
    Got a glued on label? Saturate with Ed's Red (roughen the surface first if it is a coated label), let soak for a couple of minutes, and the labels will come off.
    Also, Ed's Red is very penetrative and makes a superior penetrating oil for loosening rusted parts. In fact in some testing by a machinist's magazine a couple of years ago it beat all the commercial products by a wide margin. A dedicated Ed's Red penetrating solution can be made by just using a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone.
    A historical note about Ed's Red. When Ed Harris first cooked it up, it exceeded the then current Mil Specs for bore cleaner and CLP. Ed and a cohort were able to test it at a defense contractor's quality lab after hours with chrome-moly and stainless samples provided by Kreiger Barrels.
    Edss Red Plus
    This variation on the Ed's Red formula gives it a copper removing ability similar to the commercial bore cleaner Marksman's Choice MC-7. You will need:

11 ounces of basic Ed's Red
    2 ounces of 10%-20% industrial strength ammonia
    2 ounces of Rustlick WS-11 cutting oil or suitable alternative
    1 ounce of Murphy's Oil Soap
    Mix the oil soap and ammonia in a separate container. In a suitable 1 pint container containing 11 ounces of Ed's Red, add the cutting oil and mix together. Then add the oil soap/ammonia mixture to Ed's Red/ cutting oil and shake the container to mix the ingredients. You will end up with a pink opaque liquid that for the most part remains in solution, but some components may settle out over an extended period. It is always best to shake well before using. The resulting solution will remove mild copper deposits in bores if allowed to work about 15-20 minutes.
    Water soluble cutting oils and rust inhibitors can be obtained online from http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm or locally from your industrial supplier. NAPA auto stores carry a soluble oil listed as NAPA Soluble Cutting and Grinding Oil," part number SL SL2512. Metal screw top containers can be obtained from http://www.taxidermy.com under | Products | Molding and Casting | Containers, Cups and Tools.
    Thanks to Bill Mecca for this information.
    You can link directly to that frame by using this URL http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/18/tool.html, but there's no link back to their home page from there.
    Thanks to Patrick Larkin Jr. for this tip.
    In a pinch you can use straight mineral spirits, automotive engine cleaner, Gumout carb cleaner, straight ATF, K1 kerosene, and "citrus" cleaners (oil after use)

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

I used :

1 qt. dextron III
    1 qt. kerosene , da real 1
    1 qt. odorless mineral sprits (not really odorless)
    1 qt. acetone

I remove grips or cover em up to prevent contact with the acetone
    wet the barrels & soot/carbon & give it at least 15 minutes soak time (acetone is gone by then)
    carbon & leading is softened to the point it wipes off & a tite fitting jag/patch down the bore is all that is needed.

Rifles that I don`t want to remove the action I use diesel fuel (it`s what I had on hand) & dextronIII, just give it more soak time.

I think one of our mistakes cleaning firearms is not giving the chemicals time to do their job before applying mechanical means of removal.

I`m positive the tranny fluid leaves a film of loobe in the pores of the metal to help the next cleanin.
    Last edited by GP100man; 10-31-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: the usual ,spelun, additins
    GP100man

Boolit Master

Don't forget the Lanolin.... I like the Lanolin to help protect/lubricate the metal
    I made a gallon of Ed's Red, but now I'm looking for a smaller container to put some in for use. I don't like to pour out of the gallon into my small bowel to clean parts. I like Ed's Red, good stuff.

Ditto on the soak time.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    A good smaller container for Ed's Red is the old USGI cans that held Bore Cleaner used in the Vietnam War. Can occasionally be found with some bore cleaner in them at various gun shows. I had one from years ago and it works very well to hold my Ed's Red.

Boolit Master
    I use an 8 oz hot sauce bottle for dispensing ER.
    ph4570

PVC and PET bottles will hold ER OK, but HDPE will not!

Boolit Man
    I use Ball jars (canning jars). The itty bitty ones work to put a little into for each cleaning session.

I decided to leave out the acetone, as it can do nasty things if it gets on the stock finish.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    I use an 8 oz hot sauce bottle for dispensing ER.
    +1. Cholula hot sauce with the wooden cap. I keep a salsa jar with metal lid handy for soaking revolver cylinders.

Thanks, Mr. E.H. for sharing and making sure firearms enthusiasts like us can easily find the formula, I've been using it for years.

Gear

Boolit Master

I use a glass jar with a metal lid `bout 1/2 pint size , then use a straw , stik into the ed red cap it with my finger & ya got touch control of dispensing.
    GP100man

Boolit Master

GEEZ, This is Great Stuff.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I bought a dozen pint cans from a vendor that I found by Googling "metal cans". Can't remember the vendor. They come in handy for my own use as well as giving to others.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I bought a dozen pint cans from a vendor that I found by Googling "metal cans". Can't remember the vendor. They come in handy for my own use as well as giving to others.
    Never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

You can get 1 quart paint cans and lids at Home Despot or Lowe's.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Outpost75, it appears that the original article you linked to a few years ago is no longer available. Would it be possible to get a fresh link for those of us who would like to go back and reread it?

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast