MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 96.5% Lead 3.5% Tin Certified Alloy for Wadcutters

Boolit Master

96.5% Lead 3.5% Tin Certified Alloy for Wadcutters

I have access to several hundred pounds of certified 95.3/3.5% alloy. I already bought 100 lbs. of it and will probably go back for more as soon as funds allow ($1/lb). I bought it, initially, because it would work good to add lead to balance off lino/foundry type without appreciably changing the Tin% in alloys I mix.

Now I'm kinda/sorta leaning towards reserving it for 38 wadcutters. I'm thinking it should be fairly soft but cast nicely with the Tin already in it. I don't shoot a lot of paper where wadcutters would be handy and I already have a couple SWC molds that I'm using. But, with a new NOE wadcutter mold I'm thinking that there might be some benefit to going with this alloy because it's a known quantity so I could cast some now and know that the next batch would be exactly the same.

Opinions?
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

At that price you should buy ALL of it. Certified alloy in that range is currently running about $3.70/lb so the stash will be better than money in the bank.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

We... (at least most) are into Sb being needed in our alloys today and indeed, sometimes it is...

But the older binary alloys 'really fit' in certain applications. Great mushrooming for hunting boolits is where I use them.... Say in the 1500-1800fps range. Here they are king! (just like the old days)

Take a look at an 'old' .38-40 boolit warmed up a little for a Win '92. These boolits were cast 1 in 30.... almost what you have. Impact was in wet phone books.

Eutectic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.38-40 Magma GC solid 1650 impact.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	120623