MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: M1 Garand CMP Special .308

Boolit Mold

M1 Garand CMP Special .308

Hello,

While browsing a local gun show last weekend I decided I wanted a Garand. The few that were available looked rough and were spendy but they peaked my interest.
    Now I've found a semi-local seller with an unfired CMP Special in .308. These are on the CMP website for 995.00 and says 30 - 60 day wait but the seller said it took that
    long to process the paperwork and he waited 11 months to get this rifle. He said he hasn't fired it and wants to get his 1000.00 out of it. I know there is never going to
    be any collector value here, but as a shooter would this be better than my inexperienced eye trying to pick out a used rifle that may or may not end up with some collector
    appeal? Or should I be patient and keep looking? I truly am more interested in a shooter than a collector piece.
    Is there any downside to the .308 as far as function? There was some mention of a block being installed to prevent the loading of a 30-06 round.
    Or should I find some more money and buy an M1A? I know these questions must have come up before but I'm not finding much.
    Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated as I am lacking the background to make this decision at this point.

Thanks,

Bob

Banned

The original ones were the Navy model. A friend has one and it is very accurate.

Boolit Buddy

Over the decades, I have had two. Wonderful easy on the shoulder rifle.

Boolit Master
    my h&r m1 is a .308 now after I burned out 2 06 barrels. I went to .308 because at the time 06 brass was getting hard to find and pricey. the only thing we did was put the barrel and finish ream it for head space. you don't need the spacer. it only keeps some oe from putting a clip of 06 in the rifle and jamming it up.

if you want a shooter get the .308. the last burned 06 barrel the restorers were trying to buy it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one in either caliber. Brass for the 308 is so much easier to find nowadays and so much cheaper. Bit less powder used too. I would go for the 308, you will like it.

Boolit Grand Master

I rebuilt mine into a 308 when I started shooting NRA High power rifle. Used a douglas barrel medium heavy 4 groove 1-10 twist and it was always a real good shooter. In military loads the 06 and 308 are very close performance wise. If its not a collector grade or odd convertion to 308 is a plus in my mind. Make sure its not one of the inserts converting to 308 also. A steel insert was made to fit in the chamber of 30-06 chambers to convert to 308 7.62. These were known to occasionally pull out with case extraction leaving the 06 chamber again. Also made for a very long throat or freebore.

Boolit Master
    M1 Garands are great. M1A's are great. 308 is great. 30-06 is great. It's pretty hard to lose here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    M1 Garands are great. M1A's are great. 308 is great. 30-06 is great. It's pretty hard to lose here.

^^^^^^^^^ What he said!!!!!!

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the thoughts.

Here is the description from the CMP website:

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.308)
    M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Special grade rifle.
    This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or Harrington & Richardson receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most
    other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Minor pitting may be present. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I have a Roland Beaver built M1 .308 match grade(Douglas Barrel + custom stock) and love it! I paid $1400 for it in 1992, at that time you could buy a rack grade M1 for $400!

IMO that CMP rifle you mention is a bargain! The Criterion barrel is VERY good and it seems the people at CMP do good work! I would get it!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    Bob..I was actually at the North Store last Friday. The had a full half rack of these .308 specials. It was a mix of SA and H&R, but all were very nice. I handled a few of them, and if I hadn't already had them writing up my Winchester Service grade, I would have come home with the Special.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    You would be hard pressed to get any sort of Garand with a new barrel for under that price. The 308 has several advantages over the '06; more enjoyable and economical to shoot, and less picky about ammo. Op-rod concerns are somewhat mitigated due to smaller powder volume, the gas port is in fact larger just to get them to operate. They are tough to put a scope on, but if you only shoot iron sights they have some of the best to come on a military rifle ever.

Perma-Banned

I have a 308 M1 Garand that was built by Don McCoy. It is an awesome rifle.

Banned
    I like the 308 better than the 06 for "match", but the difference isn't that big for most of us. The 308 is easier to get to shoot little bitty groups. I've had a number of the 308s going back to the 70s. Had one by the Navy Chief that was well know for them (can't remember his name), I think one by Dave Ransberger the MC armorer at Camp Pendleton & one by Clinton Fowler, which I still have. Maybe another one here or there & also currently have a "tanker".

All the above match guns shoot better than any of my 06 match guns & I hate having to shoot "primer up" . That being said I only have 2 or 3, 308 M1s, but half dozen + 06s. They are just plain fun to shoot. Plus the 06s are collectible & I have some nice all "correct" rifles including a "select" grade that is as new. Also I still have a number of cases of LC & LCM 06 ammo so they get regular workouts.

What that all means is get "whatever floats your boat". You can't go wrong, but don't pay to much, there are some decent ones out there for reasonable $.

Dam just saw the above post! Yep McCoy