Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead Removal

Boolit Mold

Lead Removal

I hope I am not posting in the wrong subforum. I have a couple of revolvers that have leaded up on me and I am looking at getting a Lewis lead remover.I don't mind spending money on tools that make my life easier and gun cleaning is about the only thing firearm related that I do not enjoy. My question is for you guys that have the Lewis kits is what is the thread size? Brownells says the rifle kits are 8-32 threads but do not give the thread size for the handgun kits. Shotgun is a different size. I would prefer to just order the appropriate caliber conversion kit if it works with a standard cleaning rod otherwise it is about an extra ten bucks or so for what looks like a pretty cheesy cleaning rod if you buy the full kit.Thanks in advance.

Boolit Mold
    I hope that doesn't appear as a wall of text. I broke that up into several paragraphs for easier reading and after submitting it shows as a wall of text on my tablet.

Boolit Master

Personally I just use Chorboy copper scrub pads, take some of the copper threads and wind them around an old cleaning brush and go to it. The copper won't hurt the barrel steel (make sure you get copper not copper colored steel pads).

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Pipedoc: I use Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing Cloth Available anywhere you can buy cleaning supplies. Just cut an appropriate size patch and push it through. Works great. Also good to remove carbon. GP

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Personally I just use Chorboy copper scrub pads, take some of the copper threads and wind them around an old cleaning brush and go to it. The copper won't hurt the barrel steel (make sure you get copper not copper colored steel pads).
    I am probably going to do that in the interim but I still want to buy the Lewis tool. It just looks like it is super simple and painless. The price is right but I don't want to spend the extra 10 bucks or so for the rod if I don't need too.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Pipedoc: I use Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing Cloth Available anywhere you can buy cleaning supplies. Just cut an appropriate size patch and push it through. Works great. Also good to remove carbon. GP
    Can a cloth really wipe out that much fouling? One of my guns is fouled something wicked. I could probably take a hammer and chisel and get enough lead to cast up a box or two of reloads. The other one is not bad at all.
    Do you use these for just light leading?

Montana Extreme lead solvent. It is amazing.

Banned

Shoot a few jacketed bullets through the barrel and that will help get the lead out!

Boolit Master
    I agree with Moonie. The chore boy does just as well as the Lewis Lead Remover. Cheaper also.

Boolit Buddy
    /\ /\ /\
    This- For me the quickest method to get it done.

Boolit Master

I couldn't have said it better. Moonie's on the money. I keep an old copper cleaning brush designed for a .22 caliber and wrap it with strips cut of a chore-boy. Out of curiosity though have you looked into why your getting excessive leading? Are you shooting undersized boolits in the one that is leading hard? I mention it because it happed to me. Its actually how I found this site!
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Once you get the lead out rather than planning on removing more lead in the future work towards creating loads that do not lead. This is a much better investment.

I like my Outers Foul-Out tool. Gets all the lead out atom by atom. No scrubbing. At the end, you know the bore is down to steel.

Boolit Buddy
    Chore Boy worked for me in my M&P 9mm.

Banned

Once you get the lead out rather than planning on removing more lead in the future work towards creating loads that do not lead. This is a much better investment.
    What he said ^^^^
    slug your barrel, cast, size .001 to .002 over, build an accurate load and you will never have leading again.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    I agree with Moonie. The chore boy does just as well as the Lewis Lead Remover. Cheaper also.
    Also a lot easier, more efficient, and faster to use too. I retired my Lewis after I tried Chore Boy on a bore brush.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

I would try the LLR but you need a bunch of different sizes, if I am not mistaken. Its over in a few seconds with a CB.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I bought a couple pads of the Big 45 Metal Cleaner a several years ago I still have most of it. The Chore Boy works well too. The Big 45 Pads look about like a Chore Boy but silver in color and I use them the same way. Wrap several strands around a cleaning brush. The light leading that I get on one of my 6-guns, it only takes a couple swipes.
    Be Advised, Not all Copper Colored Scouring Pads Are Copper. Some are Steel with a Copper Coating. These can Damage your Firearm.

​Link to Big 45 Metal Cleaning Pads.
    http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com/
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

This bronze wool stuff works too. Also cheap:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5QDUO/

Boolit Master

Moonie is right on the money, and you'll save money at that! Easiest way to get the lead out since sliced bread was invented.