Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: unique load data question

Boolit Buddy

unique load data question

So I picked up a few pounds of unique the other day and while looking up load data on Alliant's website I thought it was strange that a 44mag 240gr lswc called for 7grains and a 45 colt 250gr lswc called for 9.5 grains. In my simple mind I'm thinking the 45 is going to have quite a bit more umph than the 44 with those loads. I know they are different calibers but it just seemed backwards to me. Anyone know why that would be?

Boolit Master
    .45 Colt has about 30% larger case capacity which lowers pressure. 7 grains for the .44 does seem a bit light to me. I've shot a lot with 8 grains of Unique, and that is a popular load.

Boolit Master

I've shot 10 grains of Unique under 315 gr in the 44 mag and many 240 gr boolits over 9- 10 grains. 7-10 grains is a good load. Depending on your boolit and gun, but 7 grains is a good place to start and you'll find an accuracy load usually between 7-10 grains of Unique.
    I shoot a SRH most of the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting. Looking at the cases side by side I would not have figured there to be 30% more volume in the .45 which would answer my question. Both guns are Vaqueros. The 45 is a new vaquero and the 44 is an old vaquero. Thanks for the input.

Unique for 44 mag @7gr is a good starting load.....I use 10gr.....you probably want something between 7-10 gr as have been suggested
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Buddy

+1 for the 10.0 gr. load

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Simple test - fill the 44 with something that represents volume (it could be powder or liquid) and then pour in the 45 Colt casing - it should show the difference in capacity between the 44 and the 45. I don't load either of 'em but like you, I'd have thought it would be similar so this simple test would show the difference - I'm always curious about such things as well!

Boolit Master

Amazing you found unique, haven't seen any on a shelf fer about two years. Down to one or so pounds. I'd love to find an 8 pound keg.

I just looked it up, you're right, that is what or says. It does say something else that might give a clue. It says view this recipe over to the side, I'm assuming that is what is "proven" and is safe with the listed components. The 250 Keith 44 mag lists 11 grains of Unique for 1200 fps. Good find on the Unique.
    Sully

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on 10 grn unique under a 429421, have shot many 1000's over the last 40 years. I am currently shooting all my 429421's powder coated.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    My old Lyman reloading book bought back in the 70's shows 8.0 GR of Unique as the starting load fro .45 Colt and I've shot thousands of these out of an old Ruger Blackhawk.
    Just out of curiosity I got the Lyman Pistol handbook about 10 years ago and that same starting for the big Keith 255 gr. boolit was 6.0 grains and the max load was 8.5. Needless to say I still load 8.0
    grains. My brother still loads his .44 with about 9.0 grains with a 145 grain Keith boolit for his Super Blackhawk.

Moderator Emeritus

Was the 44 load the special load? That would be a modern downgrade of Skeeter Skelton's 7.5 gr.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by roberts1 View Post
    So I picked up a few pounds of unique the other day and ......
    I love the casual way you say this, I've been looking for Unique for at least a year without finding any! I'm glad somebody finally has some. Hope it gets this way soon.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Grand Master

Bass Pro had some a week ago. I got 3 Bullseye and 3 Unique and am awaiting shipment to my local store. I have no idea if any is left. Check the website.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Yeah, BassPro was loaded for a week or so. I grabbed 10 pounds each of Bullseye and Unique. At my loading rate, should be good for the duration.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah there was a post about bass pro having pistol powder so I ordered some while the getting was good. Believe me, I was thrilled. Otherwise I haven't seen any powders in a while. I even bought some Alliant Steel after reading about folks using it but never got around to trying it. 7gr is the 44mag load. I didn't even look at 44 special even tho I have some brass. 44 special calls for 6.3 grains according to Alliant. I cant say I blame them for being conservative.