WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: question on Lyman 311041

Banned

question on Lyman 311041

Hello friends,

I have a Marlin 30-30 that I cast for. Right now I use a Lee C309-150F at .311" and it shoots great. But of course, none of us seem to be able to leave well enough alone.

I have always wanted to try the Lyman 311041. However, I read a lot about this mold dropping boolits at .308". That won't work for me. Would I have better luck with an older, used mold? Or are the new ones good to go?

I have heard good things about the Ranch Dog molds, and I have some boolits on order from Carolina Cast Bullets to try. I also ordered some boolits cast from a Lyman 311041 mold from a vendor on line but these all mic'ed at .308"

BTW, I use ww lead and recovered range lead, no linotype or Lyman #2.

Thanks in advance,

Steve in N CA

Instead of playing the lottery, you could take the sure bet and order one from NOE. It'll be at your door in under a week.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure how the new Lyman's are but I have an old one that drops at 0.310". Perfect for my .308. On the other hand I bought a Lyman 314299 that cast at 0.312" rather than 0.314". To qualify that is casting with range scrap or wheelweights but so is the casting with my 31141.

Longbow

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    Instead of playing the lottery, you could take the sure bet and order one from NOE. It'll be at your door in under a week.

You are right, of course. I have ordered 100 of these boolits from Carolina Bullets to try in my rifle.

Thank you.

Boolit Master

I have a new Lyman 311041 that drops both boolits right at .312.

Welcome to the forum.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    You COULD try Lee tumble lube IF they are really dropping at .308". I tried this with a couple molds that were under size for the barrel being used. You may never win a bench rest match, but deer sized critters won't know the difference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott View Post
    You COULD try Lee tumble lube IF they are really dropping at .308". I tried this with a couple molds that were under size for the barrel being used. You may never win a bench rest match, but deer sized critters won't know the difference.
    This is true also.

I want to stress that the 311041 bullets that I previously ordered were from a very well known vendor and unfortunately they were .308". I didn't cast them myself.

It was not a waste however. I used them in my Winchester 30.06 and they are fantastic.

Thanks to all.

Boolit Grand Master

The .311xxx means the mould is made to drop at least .311 bullets with Lyman's #2 alloy. Use a softer alloy with less antimony and/or tin and you can get smaller bullets. The 311041 is an excellent choice.

Larry Gibson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The .311xxx means the mould is made to drop at least .311 bullets with Lyman's #2 alloy. Use a softer alloy with less antimony and/or tin and you can get smaller bullets. The 311041 is an excellent choice.

Larry Gibson
    Mr. Gibson,

You are correct. But the reason I posted my question was because I had read more than a few accounts of people buying Lyman molds only to find out they were cut undersized, even when using the recommended alloy.

I guess what I am really asking is this: Is that problem widespread in older molds? Are the new molds okay with alloys other than Lyman #2? Or should I just give up on Lyman and go with NOE or Accurate?

One added bit of info: I have a Lyman mold for my 7X57. The mold is labeled 287641. It is a newer mold. It drops a beautiful bullet at .286-.287" with wheel weight lead. I beagle it up for my VZ24 and the results are outstanding. So I was hoping to find out if that is normal with Lyman.

Thanks for all of your help, as usual you guys are the "go to" for my questions.

Steve in N CA
    Last edited by sghart3578; 10-31-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Boolit Master

The 311041 is a very good bullet.
    If your mold doesn't satisfy you, get a Lee 170 and lap it. It is a virtual clone of the 311041.
    If you don't like the results you are only out 20 bucks.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Get an NOE. It will actually be cheaper 'cause you won't have to replace it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Mr. Gibson,

You are correct. But the reason I posted my question was because I had read more than a few accounts of people buying Lyman molds only to find out they were cut undersized, even when using the recommended alloy.

I guess what I am really asking is this: Is that problem widespread in older molds? Are the new molds okay with alloys other than Lyman #2? Or should I just give up on Lyman and go with NOE or Accurate?

One added bit of info: I have an older Lyman mold for my 7X57. The mold is labeled 287641. It is a newer mold. It drops a beautiful bullet at .286-.287" with wheel weight lead. I beagle it up for my VZ24 and the results are outstanding. So I was hoping to find out if that is normal with Lyman.

Thanks for all of your help, as usual you guys are the "go to" for my questions.

Steve in N CA
    Steve

I've a standing offer to buy any Lyman mould that will not cast to nominal diameter with the proper alloy and a proper casting technique. I have tested 15 Lyman moulds now from those who claim such. I have not had to buy a single one. The problem with such claimed undersized moulds is most often the alloy and sometimes improper casting techniques.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    What improper casting techniques cause undersize boolits?. Pat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Steve

I've a standing offer to buy any Lyman mould that will not cast to nominal diameter with the proper alloy and a proper casting technique. I have tested 15 Lyman moulds now from those who claim such. I have not had to buy a single one. The problem with such claimed undersized moulds is most often the alloy and sometimes improper casting techniques.

Larry Gibson
    Larry,

This is the kind of info I was looking for. I don't know if the stories I had read were legit or internet myths. Thanks for setting me straight.

Steve

MY O MY....
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

question on Lyman 311041

It would take a very determined man with a large wad of cash to purchase my Lyman 311041. It casts beautifully with a .301 nose and a major body diameter that tapers from .311 on the forward most band to .312 on the base band, with ACWW. It shoots exceedingly well in every rifle tried, to include the rifles of several other members. I have yet to be bitten by any of these undersized Lymans. They just aren't spec'd for wheel weights.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 10-31-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    What improper casting techniques cause undersize boolits?. Pat
    Improper alloy temp

Improper mould temp

Improper flow adjustment with bottom pour

Improper pour technique with ladle

Etc.

Larry Gibson

A few months ago I purchased a Lyman 311041GV for my Henry H009B. Using straight COWW +2% tin it drops .311-.312 consistently.

I do agree with Larry in that the size of the dropped boolit has a lot to do with your alloy. Although I haven't been able to get to within a MOA at 100 yards I don't attribute it to the boolit but rather my ineptitude although I dropped a nice doe with one last Saturday morning so I'm quite happy with the boolit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you and if you don't like it Larry will be happy to take it off your hands.