RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Strength of the Dan Wesson 44 Mag revolver compares favorably to:

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W M29/629

7 20.00%
  • Ruger three-screw Blackhawk

1 2.86%
  • Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk

7 20.00%
  • Ruger Super Redhawk

19 54.29%
  • Other (why, explain please)

1 2.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson relative strength

Boolit Grand Master
    Friend of mine had one he used to shoot in IHMSA. Don't know how many round he shot thru it, but let me tell you, they were a bit over book max. He finally sold it to another friend, and he shot loads probably even hotter. Never had a problem with the gun, and it shot lights out. Probably still going the last 25+ years since the other guy got out of IHMSA(too boring, always shooting 40's in about every class he shot).

Moderator Emeritus

I believe the Dan Wessons are much stronger than their older Cousin Smith. I have had a couple and like them.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    I've had mine since 1988. Many, many rounds through it. Bought it brand new and sent it back to the factory to get partridge sights installed and a trigger job. Trigger job had to be redone but they re-did for free. The single action pull was pretty light when it was done (like I wanted it). The stock wood grips fit my hand perfectly! I got a non-ported barrel for it so I could shoot lead and never looked back. The only loads that weren't accurate in it are my 310GCFP Lee cast. It has a little flame cut on the frame near the forcing cone but other than that, its still going strong. Mine is a 6" barrel with the light weight shroud. My only complaint with it is that the light single action pull has worn in and gotten lighter over time and is now SCARY LIGHT! I just lightly rest my finger on the trigger and when the sights look right it goes off. No day dreaming allowed with it now so I mostly fire it double action. Also wish I'd gotten an 8" heavy shrouded barrel for it but that's life. I picked up an 1982 vintage Ruger SBH with the 7.5" barrel last year so that meets the long barrel needs. BTW, the SBH is lighter than the DW even though it has 1.5" more barrel.
    And to answer the original question by the OP, DW's are very strong and durable. Just wish the company that made them was the same way. Oh well.
    taco650,
    Something like This:

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.ph...roducts_id=174

They're listed as out of stock, but there's a link to get an email notification when they're back in stock.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    taco650,
    Something like This:

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.ph...roducts_id=174

They're listed as out of stock, but there's a link to get an email notification when they're back in stock.

Randy
    Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta compare DA to DA and SA to SA.

I feel the DW is an analog of the Ruger Redhawk, which wasn't listed. I have no basis for this other than opinion and having handled them over the years.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 10-31-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    The most amazing DW I've ever seen was a 7-30 Waters, didn't get to shoot it though. Seth Wesson attended the week long NRA National championships held at our range and brought this prototype with him, ya should have seen the cylinder on it. I spent the week trying to get him to sell it but no dice. It never did go into production and as far as I know it was the only one.

Rick
    I read a magazine article about this pistol, probably at that event. I was also amazed by it for 2 reasons, at the time I had a 7445 and my first firearm was a 7-30 Waters 'tender.

Boolit Master

I have had my 44vent heavy pistol pack for 30+ years, have shot plenty of loads over 1500fps through it without ever having a problem, it has never been worked on and still is in perfect time with one of the lightest and best trigger pulls of any of my 80+ guns.
    My pac has the 4",6" and 8" barrels and shrouds with the extra power ported barrels.
    Had a S&W 29 with 8 3/8' barrel when I bought my Dan and it couldnt hold up to the 300gr round at 1000fps, It only took 120 rounds and the timing was shot spitting lead everwhere.
    The Dans I have revolvers and pistols are a few of the guns I would never give up.

Boolit Grand Master

The most amazing DW I've ever seen was a 7-30 Waters, didn't get to shoot it though. Seth Wesson attended the week long NRA National championships held at our range and brought this prototype with him, ya should have seen the cylinder on it. I spent the week trying to get him to sell it but no dice. It never did go into production and as far as I know it was the only one.

Rick
    Did you shoot it Rick?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

The most amazing DW I've ever seen was a 7-30 Waters, didn't get to shoot it though. Seth Wesson attended the week long NRA National championships held at our range and brought this prototype with him, ya should have seen the cylinder on it. I spent the week trying to get him to sell it but no dice. It never did go into production and as far as I know it was the only one. Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Did you shoot it Rick?
    Hhmmm . . . No, didn't get to shoot it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Rick
    That had to be a LONG cylinder! Makes me think of the BFR revolvers.

Boolit Bub
    http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/...-day-1/page-2/
    Here is alink to a thread that talks a little about the 7-30 waters revolver that is now in a private collection.

Boolit Grand Master

I had spent 2 months talking Seth Wesson into attending the NRA National Long Range Handgun Championships for which I was putting on commercial row and was the Chief Range officer in 96? He finally agreed and brought the 7-30 with him to show off. No one fired it, not even Seth. Many stopped by to see it, I spent the week drooling over it and trying to get him to sell it. He made it pretty clear it was going to stay in his family, now it's in a private collection. The uniqueness of it demanded that it was something a revolver guy like me had to have. Oh well, what could have been huh?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Based on that recommendation, I will try to deal for the next one I find.
    Seems they are getting pricey. The last one I found at a gun show here about a year ago was a new in box unfired 445 8". $1800.00. I haven't been pricing them but that seemed quite ridiculous to me, I would have loved to have that revolver but not at that price and the guy wouldn't talk price. I have no need of safe queens or wall hangers, if I have it I'm shooting it and I can get a brand new FA for less than that.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Collectors are driving the prices, but shooting guns are still out there. The going price for 44 Magnum DWs seems to be running around $800 - $1100 for guns in excellent condition and two or more barrels. This is well above the Blue Book valuation, but Blue Book is behind on this one. They will catch up eventually.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Collectors are driving the prices, but shooting guns are still out there. The going price for 44 Magnum DWs seems to be running around $800 - $1100 for guns in excellent condition and two or more barrels. This is well above the Blue Book valuation, but Blue Book is behind on this one. They will catch up eventually.
    Unless the switch barrel feature or a lot of DA shooting is in order, before I paid $1,100 for a used DW, I'd seriously look at a used F/A. Just my personal opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked at CZ Dan Wesson page this morning. They say the 357 will be back in production late summer 2014 at $1,100. Didn't mention any other calibers.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I just looked at CZ Dan Wesson page this morning. They say the 357 will be back in production late summer 2014 at $1,100. Didn't mention any other calibers.

Rick
    They have been saying that for years, the date has changed for at least the last 4 years.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    They have been saying that for years, the date has changed for at least the last 4 years.
    Hhmmm . . . Sounds like CZ has attended the Lyman school of new product introduction.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Over on the Dan Wesson forum I think they were talking about having shot one of the new ones, they might already be out and just not making a huge splash because of the price.

Love Life
    There is a DW in the S&S section.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast