Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on mold for 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Feedback on mold for 45-70

I have been reloading for 15+ years but now getting ready to purchase a bullet mold for my 45-70 H&R single shot rifle. I have narowed it down to these 3x molds, and I would appretiate feedback on the pross/cons on each bullet design. I just want to buy ONE mold for my 45-70 that I can use with lighter loads/plinking, paper hole punching/bench shooting up to say 200 yards, and when pushed harder for hog hunting in Texas.

I plan on using Lyman #2 alloy, I will only use tumble/dip lubing with X-Lox (45-45-10 formula), and I will seat gas checks and size using a Lee sizing die which I lapped from .457" to .460" (my bore is .459+). With accurate molds, I am not worried about the exact weight/length since he can customize the design a little.

350/360 gr RD design from NOE:

Accurate 355RG, which except for the lube grooves is nearly identical to the RD above:

Accurate 375 (note different/larger meplat):

Is it fair to say that the RD and 355RG would have a slightly higher balistic coheficient?

Would the Accurate molds do better with tumble lubing?

Any other tips/advice?

Thanks in advance,
    Will

Boolit Master
    Of your 3 choices, I've used only the ranch dog 350, sized .459, in my Marlin with a .457 bore and can attest it is very accurate.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    I am a big fan of the NOE 460 405 RNFP mold for the 45-70 and highly recommend them.

Boolit Master

Of those choice, I would go with the 350. The meplat of the 375 is huge, and that will give it somewhat more drag, but I don't think it will be enough to matter. I think the BC on each of these choices will be very similar. And the 350 is fine for Texas.

In Remembrance
    I doubt if the paper, the hogs or I could tell any difference in between any of the three.

I would lean toward a mold with regular lube grooves, I have had great luck with the RCBS 45-300. It weighs 325 grains w/ #2, lubed and checked.

Well if your tumble lubing I would say go for the 355 tumble lube mold. You mention you have been reloading for years but didn't say if you have been casting for years. If your just learning to cast I would suggest learning on a Lee 340 or 405gr mold. My first mold I went whole hog and got a big heavy brass hollow point mold and then beat it up trying to learn casting. Also I avoid gas check molds unless I know I will be pushing it hard, such as in .357 mag. With the 45-70 you don't have to push it hard to kill deer or pigs. That slug is most likely going to go in one side and out the other without even slowing down much.

I have a mold from Accurate in 405 grains and its a nice shooter.

Boolit Master

My only comment would be the gas checks. None of my 45-70s have ever had a gas check through it and probably never will. I don't push them that hard especially out of my light little Handi rifle. That limits me to about 1600 fps or so and if I need more power I use a heavier boolit. But short of buffalo I can't see needing more than 350 grains will give me. Unless you hit three or four hogs with the same boolit you'll never recover one.

Welcome to the forum.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Out of a single shot

Either paper patched or 405 RNPB
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I can't tell you to not use a GC because I use one in my Marlin 1895 to push a RCBS 405FNGC a bit hard, but with my H&R BC, I don't use GCs. For what it's worth, I tried this in my BC before I got my 1895, since the H&R is a stronger action, but is also lighter so recoil is a bit more brisk, so I limit the loads now. At the time of this test, I was using a Lee 450gr RNFP plain base, and casting out of ACWW and range scrap, sizing at .460", and lubing with LLA. I got to over 2100 fps and never got any leading, but my shoulder called it quits before I got either leading or pressure signs. I have not and will not push the Marlin as hard since it's a weaker action, but also standardized on a 1300ish fps load for the H&R with the 450gr. I recently got a Lyman 457122HP mold for it that casts at 335grs with range scrap and so far, results are promising enough that I may not be using many more of the Lee 450s.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you guys!

I used to cast my own 357 Mag bullets 10+ years ago, so this is my second time around re-learning to cast.

I exchanged a couple of emails with Tom (Accurate) and decided on the 460-355RG mold. I will post pictures in a couple of weeks once it arrives

Boolit Master
    Here's my advice.

For standard loads.
    Lee 457-340-F - 340 grain RNFP
    Lee 457-405-F - 405 grain RNFP
    Lee 457-450-F - 450 grain RNFP

For hotter heavier loads
    Lee c457-500F GC - 500 grain gas checked RNFP.

For black powder.
    Lee 459-405-HB - 405 grain RN hollow base.

All of those molds together will cost you around $100 plus shipping WITH handles for all 5 molds.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 or 3 Lee .45-70 molds . Try the 405 grain hollow base mold . It cast them a little larger , large enough to size to .460" .

Useing mostly wheel weight metal + what ever I can scrounge , I cast as cold as I can and still get good bullets .

The 340 & 405 grain Lee Flat Base bullets shoot well in my Marlin at mild velocities , 13.6 grains of Unique .

None of my molds are made to use gas checks on the bullets . GC's are not needed at the velocities I load for . At max velocity , the .45-70 is a real thumper , which I no longer enjoy .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Thank you guys!

I used to cast my own 357 Mag bullets 10+ years ago, so this is my second time around re-learning to cast.

I exchanged a couple of emails with Tom (Accurate) and decided on the 460-355RG mold. I will post pictures in a couple of weeks once it arrives
    I think you will be very pleased with your decision , good shooting!
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    All of those molds together will cost you around $100 plus shipping WITH handles for all 5 molds.

GoodOlBoy
    If I could get the bullets to be at least .460" out of those Lee molds, I would be willing to try them - maybe those models marked .459, instead of .457?

The mold from Tom is definitely more money, but by buying the custom mold, I know the size will be right for my particular rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 405 grain HB mold I have will drop bullets larger than .460" , if I pour the metal as cold as I can & still get good bullets . Your mileage may vary . Also , you can always lap the mold larger .

How fast to you wish to push them ?

If you were closer , I would suggest you drop by and give it a try .

God bless
    Wyr
    Last edited by WyrTwister; 11-01-2014 at 05:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    Alright the Lee 500 grain 459-500-3R which is more of a postell style bullet (maybe a touch pointier but looks closer to a postell than anything else to me). Drops at .459, or at least my mold does.

A custom mold is always a good choice if the mold maker can give you exactly what you want, and from what I have read we do have some fine makers on castboolits. They are just out of my price range.

Enjoy, and please post pics and results when you can. Everybody loves a good reloading story. Or at least those of us afflicted with the casting and reloading bugs do!

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    It is here!

Not even one week turn-around time:

That's a work of art. I only have one of Tom's molds but have been very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast