Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New IMR Rifle powders

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, I'm reading that 300MP is a possibility for 32-40. I'm reading that it can be used effectively in magnum pistol cases. If either of these statements is correct, I don't see how the other can be, especially if this powder will do what 4759 does in old single shots. The facts are that it is good as a "kicker" in duplex loads, that it is bulky enough to get good load density, that it is not position sensitive, and that it doesn't ring the chambers of old, soft steel rifle barrels. It will be hard to duplicate this happy combination of characteristics with any other powder.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    OK, I'm reading that 300MP is a possibility for 32-40. I'm reading that it can be used effectively in magnum pistol cases. If either of these statements is correct, I don't see how the other can be, especially if this powder will do what 4759 does in old single shots. The facts are that it is good as a "kicker" in duplex loads, that it is bulky enough to get good load density, that it is not position sensitive, and that it doesn't ring the chambers of old, soft steel rifle barrels. It will be hard to duplicate this happy combination of characteristics with any other powder.

Froggie
    I'm a 4759 advocate but, 4759 is now gone "long live it's replacement". It's was droped before by Dupont and then brought back by IMR. I think it was gone for about 15 years before the demand brought it back. Maybe Hodgdon will "see the light" and do the same.

That said, high proformance pistol powders have always been a popular choice for low pressure cast bullet loads. In the 80's and 90's, 296 and H110 rode the top of the accuracy results, H108 (WC820) took it's place in the mid 90's. 300 MP has it's following today but, 4227 has ALWAYS been right in there. The record ASSRA 100 yard 5 shot group was shot with it within the last two years.

As far as duplex loads go, I've always used 4759 in 32/35 and 32/40 but, I had excellent results in 45/70 with 296 as a priming charge.

Now that 4759 is gone, we just need to do more work to replace it in our applications. There will be no bringing it back in the short term, we just have to wait and see if Hogdon brings it back in our life time.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    These are all single based extruded powders made in Canada. They will be the first to be made in Canada using a new process that will make them more temperature stable. They won't be quite as stable as the Hodgdon extreme, but better than previous powder made in Canada. They are:

IMR 4166, which is between IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 in burn rate
    IMR 4451, which is between IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 in burn rate
    IMR 7977, which is slower than IMR 7828
    all this information was per Hodgden
    Hmmmm, this sounds to me like they are using Varget for the 4166 and H4350 for 4451, I'm not sure what the Aussie powder would be for the 7977.

Remember Hodgdon replacing 4227 with H4227 and still calling it IMR4227?

I see that the newest IMR4227 is labeled Canada now, makes me wonder if the Canadain IMR plant is just a packaging plant now.

I'm a conspiracy theoriest

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I corresponded with Ron Bieber of Hodgdon and he said the new powders are "green" and more stable than the other IMR powders. I made a few suggestions about the release of the new powders and the difficulty of trying to find enough of any powder the same so it is worthwhile developing loads for it. Frustrating to buy a pound of powder, develop the loads, and find you only have enough powder for a small quantity of ammo and being unable to find more of the same powder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12