Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: My Summit climber doesn't work like it used to?

My Summit climber doesn't work like it used to?

I have an early Summit Viper tree stand I have had for years. I didn't get a chance to hunt with it all last year but finally got a chance to get my flintlock out with it a couple nights ago. I couldn't help but notice it doesn't want to go up the tree very well now? I flailed away for what seemed like 20 minutes and then to my horror realized after all that work I had left my pack on the ground Fortunately I was only about 18" off the ground so was able to get off and retrieve my pack. I have decided I can see pretty well now at about 5 or 6' up the tree......

Boolit Buddy
    Is there a chance your cables are worn? I have the same stand, and last year bought the replacement cables you can get for them. It seemed to help.

Boolit Master

i have the same climber i have found that bark on the tree has a lot to do with it some trees are just easier to climb
    this will also help a lot http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104649480
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Knots on the tree or small green twigs can cause no end of grief even if they are quite small. Also if the tree is too big its a no go. I love both of my Summit stands and have used them a lot. They always work if I do my part. I would suspect operator error or tree issues. Been there and have the tshirt.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Thanks guys. I am thinking my issue is more operator error, bad selection of trees, plus getting fat and old doesn't help. My stand is a heavy early steel one and does not have the quick climb stirrups. Maybe an upgrade is needed. I appreciate the help!

Tree Lounge. Only climber I ever had and I gave it away when I moved to North Dakota (few trees on my place) but it was a super climbing outfit. I spent many pleasant hours snoozing high above the forest floor.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two Summit climbers. I can be 30 feet up in a couple of minutes with almost zero effort. Give Summit a call had have them send you out a video. 800-353-0634.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjehWj19B8c
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2014 at 11:39 AM.

I had one of the old steel hand climbers! Was give to me! Couldn't get it to move! Gave up and used it as a hang on ! Best hang on I ever had! Was give to me after I got old! Best two climbers I ever had was a TimberTall Baby Lite, only weighed a little more than eleven lbs, and the second was an old Warren&Sweat, that weighed 14#! When you get old and walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles from truck to get to you want to hunt you get to thinking in terms of how much stuff weighs
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Don't Ya Jest Love the Smell of Rotten Agg's!!

I have a Summit, loudest thing I ever took into woods (besides my TC Omega). Packing it in, I could never get it get it to pack correctly. Finally bought a Lone Wolf.

Boolit Master
    I have the steel Summit Viper. Tree bark and small suckers will interfere with the cables. Never try to climb a hard maple, they are way too hard to get a proper bite. I find their shape can also interfere with a stable platform. Oaks and Sassafrass trees flair at the base and require a very steep angle which is hard to mount and start if you want a level stand at 20+ feet. Yellow Poplar are common where I hunt and provide the best tree of all if in the right place. I love the stand and feel secure using it. It can be noisy when snow is compressed to ice on the treads of one's boots though.

Boolit Master
    I started almost 40 years ago with a baker tree climber. I excitedly had to try it out at the house so the only tree available was a electric pole and at around 16 feet it let go and straight down all at once!! I can still feel the jolt of landing in my teeth. I learned real quick you need bark for that baby to work. The only other time it didn't work so good was after I for no reason at all gained about 20 pounds. And then there was the rainy archery morning I was half way up a slick wet tree and it let go!!! I hung on to the tree that hard going down I pulled the back muscles I used to draw my bow. I found this out about 2 hours later with a nice 6 point buck casually browsing by me as I stood on the ground behind a laurel bush and there was no way I could get the bow drawn! He finally saw the commotion of me trying the darnest to draw AND STOOOOD there and looked at me from 10 yards for about a minute and then slowly browsed along! I thoufht of throwing my hunting knife at him. Call me stupid and laugh, I can take it.
    Look twice, shoot once.