RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: H&R 45/70 sight issues

Boolit Buddy

H&R 45/70 sight issues

Posted this same thread over on the Greybeard H&R forum looking for answers...

I put a Williams WGRS rear aperture on my HR. Combined with that, the factory front
    sightwas way too low. I (partially) remedied that by soldering a section of 16-penny nail on top of the front sight, then filed the sides down flat to match the blade and dressed up the rest of it as needed. Now don't laugh! It worked...after a fashion anyways.

But I'm not really satisfied and want something different. Trying to find a suitable ramp that has the right contour for a .798" diameter barrel is not a simple thing to do. I've looked at all the major sources: Williams, Marble, skinner, brownells, midway...can't find what I'm looking for. None of the ramps have the screw hole in the right place (there's only one on the HR - and I don't really want to drill another hole in the barrel).

Anybody here dealt with this before? What do you suggest? I can do some of this but drilling holes in my barrel...no thanks. And I prefer not to $pend money on a gun$mith...if I don't have to.

Old timers used to grind down the blade and then solder half of a silver dime on the sight. It makes a good sight blade, and an interesting conversation piece at the same time.

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, there's a thought.....finding a SILVER dime may take some doing.

Boolit Master
    I have bought several sights from Track of the Wolf for my muzzleloaders, but those have dovetails to fit them into. They have many different types though, so it might be worth a look to see if they have something that could work for you. I always get the sights too tall and then file them down slowly at the range to make them hit to POI for me.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy

There was a sticky over on the Graybeard site that dealt with this issue. I ordered a Williams shorty ramp for it. I also have in my parts box a brass front blade which I will use.