RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do top shooters cast their own boolits?

Do top shooters cast their own boolits?

Hmmmmm.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgQ82Kqhzo

The man - himself
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master
    All the CBA Benchrest shooters that I am aware of use their own cast bullets, most purchased cast bullets are designed to drop from molds easily and not superior accuracy.

I think most BP silly wet shooters do.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I do.....

Banned

yep...

Boolit Grand Master

Did you hear that? Lee makes a good pot. That's going to strike a nerve w/ some people :laugh:

Boolit Grand Master
    Waiting for the "flux police" to jump in........
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned

interesting that he just lets the pin and bullet drop out of the mould together and then picks up the HP pin and puts it back in....

Boolit Master

I beleive that any one intrested in the best accuracy with cast boolets just about has to make them ! no price point bullet company can take the time to produce that level of quality. and if they do then the cast boolets. might cost as much as jacketed bullets..
    Perhaps swaged lead bullets in handguns ? but i have never used them .

Boolit Grand Master

Yep!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

JM did a fantastic job of basic smelting and then casting boolits. He said many important things like "I got this scrap lead from my bullet trap, so I know there's no unfired rounds or primers in there".

As for the use of paraffin for fluxing, he wasn't worried about reducing the lead oxide back to solution, he even said so. He may know that paraffin is not the best. If he were going to be making rifle boolits, THEN he might use sawdust as well as paraffin to flux with.

My admiration of him as a top shooter just grew a bunch after seeing this video. I already had him on the top of the list as it was.!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Well, its good t' know that I have something in common with Jerry, even if it isn't talent level in quick accurate shooting.

prs

Boolit Grand Master

I sincerely doubt that JM uses his own castings in any significant part of his competitive shooting. The only sponsored GMs I know personally do not even load their own ammo. (Dave Olhasso and Josh Lentz)
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

On Heaven's Range

Back in our Bullseye/ISU days, my ex-wife became the Canadian Ladies' Pistol Champion and I was also very successful..... all of the center-fire events on my cast bullets.

A few years back I toted up the loading records.... over 200,000 .38 wadcutters, cast and loaded by Yours Truly.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    JM did a fantastic job of basic smelting and then casting boolits. He said many important things like "I got this scrap lead from my bullet trap, so I know there's no unfired rounds or primers in there".
    omg Can you imagine dropping an unfired round into a 50lb pot of molten lead? What a mess!!!

Yes it is.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I Donna whatcha mean

Attachment 120372
    Attachment 120373
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Oh My Gosh - bet that came with a bad case of shorts changes
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Back in our Bullseye/ISU days, my ex-wife became the Canadian Ladies' Pistol Champion and I was also very successful..... all of the center-fire events on my cast bullets.

A few years back I toted up the loading records.... over 200,000 .38 wadcutters, cast and loaded by Yours Truly.
    Geez, that's some serious support. Have you shared your 'go to' load (probably several times, I'd bet)

I am not a top shooter and do not play one on TV. I cast my own bullets for several reasons.

1. There is a cost savings over buying commercial ammunition, and even commercially made jacketed bullets and reloading them.
    2. Bullet casting is a hobby in itself and can be engaged in regardless of weather. It enhances and extends the fun of shooting.
    3. Since I began casting my own bullets I do shoot more often. This pleases me.
    4. There is something magical about taking something as nasty and useless as dirty salvaged wheel weights and turning them into near perfect
    bullets that give me consistently good groups and take game.

MichiganMike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast