RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Commonly used Acronyms in Boolit Coatings

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

Commonly used Acronyms in Boolit Coatings

I will try to include the acronyms and abbreviations that you might see used in this section, so that folks who are new to coating or new to a particular new development in coatings can follow along without having to read the entire thread to see when that string of letters or word reference first appeared.
    Please let me know of any that you find useful (and relevant) and I'll try to update this post often so that it stays current.
    (keep in mind, I didn't invent 'em, I just list 'em.)

Amazon's powder coat gun (sometimes called Craftsman or Sears-type powder coat gun).Link to thread.
    -Link to Amazon's Craftsman gun Note that I have not personally tried either of these. (They should be about 60-70 bucks... don't fall for the $119 priced one)
    This is an example of the Ebay one that is a Craftsman clone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Craftsm...EAAOSw7PBToKDk
    (It's an Ebay ad, so it might not always be current. I'll keep checking back)
    The gun that first saw major use in powder coating was the Harbor Freight gun (link below, under "Harbor Freight"), but this Craftsman-type gun is seeing more popularity as well.

ASBB = AirSoft BB. Link to example.

ASBBDT = (AirSoft BB Dry Tumble) Dry tumbling using the AirSoft BBs as a tumbling media.
    Sometimes you'll see it as ASBBT(AirSoft BB Tumble) or ASDT (AirSoft Dry Tumble) There's no rule on it.

BB = The term "BB" originated from the size of steel balls used in a shotgun shell of the same size. BB shot was normally 0.180 inches (4.6 mm), but tended to vary considerably in size due to the high allowable tolerances for shotgun shell use. Around 1900, Daisy, one of the earliest makers of BB guns, changed their BB gun bore diameter to 0.175 inches (4.4 mm), and began to market precision-made lead shot specifically for their BB guns. They called these simply "round shots", but the "BB" name was already well established, and everyone continued calling the guns "BB guns" and the shot "BB shot" or just "BBs".

BBDT = BB dry tumble using some form of BBs as media.

DT = Dry tumble.

ESPC = Electrostatic powder coat (applied with a spray gun utilizing a static charge to aid powder sticking to boolits, usually the Harbor Freight model, but there are others.)

ESSG = Electrostatic Spray Gun

HDPE = High Density Polyethylene.

HI-TEK = it is a coating system similar to PC, but it is more of a stain than a paint. It involves a double dose of wet tumbling and baking and seems to work really well if you don't want to mess with spraying or dry powder tumbling. There is a sticky on it, usually the first sticky listed, and the longest.
    Here's a great link on how to do it. HI-TEK-do-s-and-don-ts

HF = Harbor Freight www.harborfreight.com
    Direct link to Harbor Freight powder coat gun

LDPE = Low Density Polyethylene.

LLPE = Linear Low Density Polyethylene (ziplock bags).

NSAF = Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. Link to example at WalMart.

PBTP = PowerBuyThePound.com it's a website belonging to one of the powdercoat retailers. www.powderbuythepound.com

PC = Powder coat.

PTFE = Teflon.

Smoke's powder = Smoke4320 is a vendor sponsor who sells powder here. Check out his ad in the vendor section and he's usually running a sale in the Swappin' & Sellin' section as well.
    His vendor page.*****His current S&S ad.

TO = Toaster Oven. A convection toaster oven is preferred but not mandatory. (I have not yet seen anybody use an abbreviaiton for convection toaster oven.)

VHT = Very High Temp epoxy spray paint. Used for BBQ grills, also manifolds, headers, mostly automotive applications.
    Link to example.

Thanks for your help. Feel free to contribute any coating-related acronyms or abbreviations that you find and do not recognize while reading about coating, and please PM me about any broken links in the above descriptions. Some examples are from retail sites and they may occasionally change them.
    Happy Coating!!!
    Last edited by Beagle333; 02-21-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Links still work.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

This space left intentionally blank for future updates and expansion.
    List above updated and links checked 10/09/20
    Last edited by Beagle333; 10-09-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Love it!
    Smoke you got you're own definition.

Banned

as new things pop up this thread can be added to by anybody.
    let's keep it on topic and to the point so that the abbreviations can be found easily.

I want to thank beagle 333 in the open forum for the work he put into this new thread.

Boolit Master

Thank you, with people using acronyms and abbreviations so much in their post, often times it looks like spilled alphabet soup that I'm looking at, and I don't take the time to try to figure it out.

I think if a person REALLY​ wanted to convey what he wanted others to know, he would write out the entire word.

For the most part, the over use of
    acronyms and abbreviations translates laziness on their part.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

It is confusing for someone that just walks into a thread to translate. I use a lot of the short cut words but limit then to such things like PC for powder coating. But maybe I am lazy the other way for not wanting to learn all the new shortcuts.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Thanks for this list. I am new to the PC game and it really helps. Maybe now I won't think I am reading Greek.

"Thanks for the list of acronyms, I enjoy reading through the comments searching for 'pearls of wisdom' but by the time I get the acronyms sorted out I've lost track of what I was trying to decipher in the first place. Reminds me of my Doctor telling something important…he looks at my 'deer in the headlights' stare and wonders if I am even listening to him…"Yeah Doc. I'm hangin onto every word!"
    When I was a kid…well…things were a little different! Kinda miss those dayz."

Boolit Grand Master

Links still work, and as far as I know, most commonly used abbreviations and acronyms are still covered.

But do feel free to let me know of anything that is new. This coating thing is still being pioneered and new things come about.

Boolit Buddy
    In any Community College English 101 class, the standard for writing English is to spell-out the first use of the word and then put the abbreviation within parenthesis. Example: "Powder Coat" (PC). From then on, it is considered correct to use the initials. That is considered to be good communication. Doing such results in less frustration, having to look up words that should be obvious but have been unnecessarily encoded.

As Hickory posted:
    Thank you, with people using acronyms and abbreviations so much in their post, often times it looks like spilled alphabet soup that I'm looking at, and I don't take the time to try to figure it out.

I think if a person REALLY​ wanted to convey what he wanted others to know, he would write out the entire word.

For the most part, the over use of acronyms and abbreviations translates laziness on their part.

Boolit Grand Master

Checked it again 1-5-2022
    Links still work fine. Happy coating.

I am new and learning,...and have run across the acronym TGIC for certain types of powders. I shall continue researching as to why a non-TGIC powder vs. a TGIC powder is or isn't preferred. But I figured I'd point out that it is missing from the list above.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by atfsux View Post
    I am new and learning,...and have run across the acronym TGIC for certain types of powders. I shall continue researching as to why a non-TGIC powder vs. a TGIC powder is or isn't preferred. But I figured I'd point out that it is missing from the list above.
    TGIC Powder Coatings vs. Non-TGIC Powder Coatings https://www.pfonline.com/articles/tg...owder-coatings
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    TGIC Powder Coatings vs. Non-TGIC Powder Coatings https://www.pfonline.com/articles/tg...owder-coatings
    Thanks, that is helpful.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    Anything that contains isocyanates or isocyanurates worries me. Think back to the origins of urethane automotive paints. At that time I was doing automotive painting, Mostly custom paint jobs using enamel or lacquer paints but I did paint a 40 foot speed boat in black urethane. At that time we were told all you needed was standard painting respirators even though Dupont KNEW urethan (isocyanates) would go right through standard respirators. A lot of painters died due to that. Think Earl Sheib, the pioneer of quick and cheap paint jobs. He died with basically plastic lungs from those chemicals. Thankfully I got out of that work before I did any other jobs with urethane. But what is happening in your kitchen when you are melting this stuff in your oven? What is in the fumes coming out of there? Anybody saying anything about that?