RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things I learned at the range today...

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    It seems that many on the range wouldn't know a good group if it hit them. They think that from a sandbag or rest if they can get some in the black and most on the paper they are dead eye dick. They always point out the one flyer that is near the center of the bull. They care more about how fast they can do a mag dump than if they actually hit anything and love clangers instead of paper targets that can be measured and compared.

I do enjoy encouraging the know it all types to exhibit their vast knowledge. Good for some laughs at their expense.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Moderator Emeritus

Friend has some 600 and 1k yard steel plates. Fun but nothing I own is super accurate at 1k yards. AR does well at 600 still with my own hand loads.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I also went to Harbor Freight today. Gave her 10 buck cash, she asked if it was credit or debit? Umm, it is cash?
    LOL! I usually ask them if they take CASH.....
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I learned from them that the M60 is 60 caliber, hence the name! I also learned that 5.56 ball ammo was called that because under the copper nose was a bunch of little balls.
    That must mean a M24 is a .24 caliber and the M203 must be a .203 caliber.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

I learned that mule deer seem to enjoy watching an old fat man shoot a fronstuffer. Will post pics as soon as my phone and laptop quit fighting.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 (1).JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	120327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (2).JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	120325
    Pics just showed up, have to look for the deer tho. One was quite interested while the others just hung out enjoying the "BOOM"s.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I may of reported this before but I still consider it a classic so here goes:

It was about 1979 and we were out shooting across the highway from Eielson AFB. My buddy had a new S&W 29 and developed a bad case of flinchitis. Asked him for the revolver and told him we would load 2-3 rounds in the cylinder so he didn't know where the rounds were and to concentrate on a good trigger pull. After a couple of minutes two guys in Army fatigues came over and asked what we were doing so I told them.
    One guy said that was a good idea as his friend had a bad case of flinching as well. So he pulled the magazine out of the 45 and put 3 rounds in it and handed it back to his friend telling him what he was doing. After about 3 "full" mags and realizing the slide was locked back and his friend was still trying to pull the trigger and flinching they got into a huddle and quickly jumped into their jeep and left.
    Swear to god the story is true.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I may of reported this before but I still consider it a classic so here goes:

It was about 1979 and we were out shooting across the highway from Eielson AFB. My buddy had a new S&W 29 and developed a bad case of flinchitis. Asked him for the revolver and told him we would load 2-3 rounds in the cylinder so he didn't know where the rounds were and to concentrate on a good trigger pull. After a couple of minutes two guys in Army fatigues came over and asked what we were doing so I told them.
    One guy said that was a good idea as his friend had a bad case of flinching as well. So he pulled the magazine out of the 45 and put 3 rounds in it and handed it back to his friend telling him what he was doing. After about 3 "full" mags and realizing the slide was locked back and his friend was still trying to pull the trigger and flinching they got into a huddle and quickly jumped into their jeep and left.
    Swear to god the story is true.
    Hope they never watched a certain DeNiro film.

Boolit Grand Master
    Snowwolfe, that made me laugh. Some people just don't understand, do they?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The Apex Predators fascinate me. I try to get pictures of them in the wild...while keeping a safe distance. Since I quit hunting years ago, I do all my animal shooting with a camera. Honestly, I find it very rewarding.
    I keep my eyes out for gators when I out and about where they can be seen. It makes me feel good to see them in the canals and bayous. I don't have much of a camera and not big on taking pictures.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    At our old range we had someone show up with a semi auto ak47 and proceeded to do a full mag dump. Never mind the fact he's spraying bullets and empty cases all over. About the second time he gets ready to do this a few of us walk up to him and ask if he is a member. No he says the gate was open. gate is to only be unlocked by a member and relocked after the vehicle is past the gate. hope you had some hip waders on. Sometimes the stuff can get pretty deep. Frank

Boolit Master

Many years ago a friend told me matter-of-fact that the M16 has no recoil. I replied that it's pretty minimal but it has a little.

Nope, none at all. He shot one, full auto no less. Zero recoil. He had gone to some high-school day thing with the National Guard while in high school and they shot some guns.

"They wouldn't have been blank by chance?" I asked. "Yea, why" he replied.

On the other hand, a few years ago another friend and I went out to shoot pistols. He had a nice new SIG, but was shooting shotgun patterns at maybe 50 feet or so. He said there must be something wrong with it, so I gave it a try. I put a dozen shots in a nice little group at the same distance.

Here's the difference that attitude and willingness to learn makes. He saw what I did, listened carefully to a few pointers, then went on to seek out more pistol marksmanship info for himself. The next time we went to the range some time later he was dramatically improved. By now he's probably a better shot than I am. At least I hope so because I don't get a lot of practice any more.

Quote Originally Posted by alrighty View Post
    Facetious ,why of course.
    I am fortunate that I do not have to go amongst the knowledgeable people you mention in order to shoot.

Hay I'm the one that's Facetious!!! So you can't be.

As for things that I have learned, It would seam that i'm some kind of idiot.

A guy at work took a class to get a ccl and comes in to work and tell's me that I'm a idiot for reloading my own ammo. The guy that gave the class said so. He told them that people that reload are wrecking there guns and were making bomb's just waiting to go off in there hands!

I pointed out that I had been rolling my own for over 30 years and had one gun that has never seen a factory round. That in the 80's I was loading and shooting a 1000 rounds or more a year and I can still count to ten!

He comes back saying the guy giving the class was a NRA instructor and thy know.

I have got to where I try to go to the range on week days when my work days allow it , I have found that the older I get the less stupid I can stand.
    after starting with a bare bones action and build the rifle to do what I want it to do, I can not stand some idiot talking to me like I know nothing about it.

Boolit Master
    It takes all kinds. Sounds like you had a couple of each there that day.

Boolit Grand Master
    Threads like this one remind me how much I miss Inland F&G's range and the weekly Burrito Shoot. There weren't too many idjits on scene on Tuesdays, and those that did show up mostly left us alone.

I'm of two minds when it comes to these Mall Ninja tacticool types with the 60 caliber M-60s. As I get older, my patience for their backwash shortens apace, but at least a part of me is aware that such people OBVIOUSLY did without a Dad--or uncle--or other mentor that took the time to show them the ropes. How to be safe with a firearm, and how to have respect for the sport and those who co-participate in it. I was most fortunate, to have a Dad that loved to shoot, hunt, and fish--likewise uncles of similar stripe--and some friends of the family who could jump in with more specialized knowledge where family members didn't participate.

So, my reaction stream is silent--say to myself first "What idiots!".......then follow with thanks to my Dad (passed), Uncle Ben, Uncle Bob, Uncle Al, and the late Leo Reyes.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I am just curious how you guys have so much interaction with these people. When I am home from work I am at the range about 3 to 4 times a week. The range is busy from open to close regardless of the day of the week, sometimes more, sometimes less, but busy. I pay attention to them as they come and go and look out for my own safety. Unless someone is doing something dangerous, and our range staff is excellent about being watchful, I can not be bothered to give a rats *** what these people think, say, or do. I offer no unsolicited advice and only on a rare occasion has anyone ever engaged me while there.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    These horror stories make me appreciate the little rifle club I belong to just that much more. We have about 70 members, and most times when I go, there isn't another soul on the property. Members only, but you can bring family or guests.

Yesterday there was a husband/wife there when we pulled in, she had just gotten her first handgun and he was teaching her how to shoot it. Nice little Beretta 22, and she was having a ball with it. Since we were using rifles, the only times we talked to them was when we all agreed on a cold range to check/change targets. They saw my daughters' shooting and were quite impressed and very supportive of her. The joys of living in small town USA... we have fewer idiots.

Thanks for the laugh Richard!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

in Remebrance
    Love to read these stories, have the same types down at the local farmer's co-op around hunting season, you'd think they were all ballistics experts and trained snipers. Best story I heard was in a gun store, seems the absolute best caliber is the 8mm Mauser. The bullet travels dead flat to 300yd, then starts to rise. You only have to hold on hair out to 1000yd to get a killing hit. Guess the bullet "rises" on out into the stratosphere after that. Or how about the best hog caliber is the .17 rimfire. Took one thru the shoulder at 200yd. Oh well, no cure for stupidity. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast