RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: anyone clean up a sks trigger?

Boolit Master

anyone clean up a sks trigger?

I know there are a few jobbers that will clean up your trigger but have any of you fellas done it, and what did you do?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Didn't have to, I have a Yugo SKS with the grenade launcher, ladder sights, bladed type grenade.

I've had no issues with my trigger. I just checked it with a fired round. I'd put it in the 4-5 pound mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cryTMAqLuxM

I know there are a lot of idiots on utube, but I dont' consider Iraqveteran8888 to be one.

Good luck!

Boolit Master
    Check over at gunboards.com maybe in the sponsor's list or vendors list. Think the gent goes by the handle of kivari or something close to that. That is about the only person I can think of that does that kind of work. Frank

Boolit Master
    sending it away would defeat the purpose of this gun, which is to teach me what I don't know of em! If this is successful I'm gonna do an ar something for sure! That would really make my son happy.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I don't think it is that hard to do Nekshot. Main thing is to not change the "Geometry" the angles have to remain the same.

Get some Wolf springs whine you are at it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I don't think it is that hard to do Nekshot. Main thing is to not change the "Geometry" the angles have to remain the same.
    HUGE +1 on that! + the wolf springs.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Bub
    I did my russian one. All I did was take the sear out and very carefully cleaned it up with 600 grit emery cloth. I just took enough off so it's polished. Made a huge difference.

Boolit Master
    I followed the instructions widely available on the net. Just polishing things up made a world of difference, not match grade but an improvement.

I got my dad some goodies from Murrays for Xmas and I also ordered his hammer spring and reduced power sear spring kit. While I had the gun apart to machine the carrier I cleaned up the FCG, polished the sear parts and installed the spring. The pull is lighter and has a softer feel. It obviously did not shorten up the pull or reduce creep but it does feel better.

I've polished the internals on a couple but never tried to lighten them, just smooth it out. They always served as a short range rifle for me anyway.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I did mine about 2 years ago. I just went to you tube and watched 20 - 25 videos, took the best of each and got out my files and stones and went to work. Be very careful to keep all of the angles the same as the originals and keep an eye on the safety check. That is the part where, as you pull the trigger, the hammer moves slightly deeper into the cocked position until it releases. Take your time and watch what you are doing and it is an easy fix, just takes time. You can make the trigger as smooth as glass and get 1/2 to 2/3 of the creep out easily while keeping a very safe trigger. I reduced the trigger pull by using the Wolf replacement springs. I had to put the original springs back in when I put Murphy's spring loaded firing pin in because I was getting light strikes and failure to fire on the Wolf primers. But even with that I love the trigger now.

You might also look into doing the bolt modification to allow mag changes with a closed bolt. It is also easy and very nice to have that capability.

Boolit Master
    thanks for all the info, I think this specific gun saw little use as the firing pin was peened and stuck in fire mode.Talk about slam fire for sure! It has all milled parts as far as I could find and all I did was take all apart, use stone on surfaces needed and put back together. The trigger has a funny kind of creep and a perfect break for fire. It is different but very easy to get used to because how smooth it is.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    My yugo sks trigger reminds me of draging a old tom cat down a dirt road....maybe a future project. ?

Boolit Master
    I had kivari do one of my SKSs a couple years ago. Not bad.

I'll have to check the 'net again for tips on disassembling the FCG. I never was able to compress the hammer spring enough to remove it.

Richard