RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: dirty lead?

Boolit Master

dirty lead?

Ok guys, i use range scrapthat i smelt. I flux 2-3 times with pine sawdust and tea candles. The ingots look good but when i put it in my casting pot i flux again and cast. Problem is now i get these hard crusty chunks making inclusions in my boolits. Sometimes its just stuck to the outside and i can just scratch it off with no pitting. Ive tried fluxing my lead pot several times per session and it looked like chrome glass on top but still get quite a few inclusions. Any pointers or helpful hints? Thx all

Banned
    I your casting pot, what are you fluxing with, sawdust?
    Use only bees wax and you should not have crud problems.

In Remembrance
    It sounds like you may have some trash stuck to the inside of your pot. Empty your pot and give the inside a good wire brushing. If a bottom pour, remove vale stem, clean with steel wool. My preference is bees wax for fluxing in pot. Best whishes on solving your issues.

Boolit Buddy
    I had that problem too. When I was fluxing in my casting pot, I was stirring the sawdust into the melt instead of scooping the lead out and pouring it through the sawdust flux.

When all was said and done, I found sawdust or pine shavings were best used in my smelting pot and just wax in my Lee 4-20 casting pot.

That did solve the problem for me.

Boolit Master
    Ok guys, bees wax it is. Thx all

I sometimes get inclusions from running the mold too hot. I slow it down and leave the mold open for a ten count between fills and the inclusions go away. Sometimes I even blow on the open mold to cool it a little. I've never used sawdust in my bottom pour pot so, I know that's not it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If you have followed good fluxing methods with saw dust during making your ingots, there is no need to do it again with saw dust in your casting pot. You are working with clean lead then!

As said above, use beeswax only to reduce the Sn back in. Works like magic and does not leave burnt saw dust behind. It is amazing how that stuff will hang around the sides and bottom of the casting pot!

Again as said, clean your empty pot well, since you have been using saw dust in the past. A flapper sander on you drill works well. Or a soft rotary wire brush.

Hope you find our suggetions solve your proboems!

banger

Boolit Master
    Yeah banger, as soon as i get some bees wax i will clean the pot out. I think someone on here sells it. I will check and see. Thx

Boolit Grand Master

Clean pot and utensils if they are dirty your adding it to your pot. Parrafin ( canning wax) also works to reduce alloies back into the melt

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by twc1964 View Post
    Yeah banger, as soon as i get some bees wax i will clean the pot out. I think someone on here sells it. I will check and see. Thx
    RandyRat is yo' man! Search for him on here.

banger

Boolit Master
    Yep banger, i saw some pics of his wax and it looks really clean. Im gonna order 3 lbs soon. Thx