WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 32 BHN lead, uses?

Boolit Bub

32 BHN lead, uses?

I have a lead on some of the above, have done some reading & studying but this seems way harder than what I need.

If it is 32 is it usable as is or will it need softened up?

I have yet to cast my first boolit, gathering equipment & supplies.

Thanks in advance.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

my feedback thread;
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=dieselrealtor

Boolit Master
    You could always alloy it with softer lead.

Maybe in a specialized application, but for most general casting you'll want your lead much softer.

What is in the alloy?
    Last edited by NewbieDave007; 10-24-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: who would've thought that autocorrect would get me on a short post.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    You could always alloy it with softer lead.
    Or trade it for softer lead. I have soft lead I would trade.

Boolit Master

You could use it to cast sledge hammer heads.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Cut it for much much softer! I have some alloy that will WD to 36Bhn and it is totally unusable at that hardness.

Why do you think you need lead that hard for boolits?

bangerjim

Boolit Bub
    I didn't think it is usable as-is & figured I would have to soften it down, checking with the experts here to know for sure. I don't know what the alloy is, just working on a possible trade or purchase & trying to figure out what I will have to do to make it usable & with that determine value.
    NRA Lifetime Member

my feedback thread;

Boolit Master
    Yeah, unless it is marked it might be hard to trade because you don't know what's in it. I'd just mix it with pure lead.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

lolz @ " cast sledge hammer heads"

actually it's a wee bit too brittle for that ( but thanx for the grin :P )

there's a fine line between brittle and useful

is it worth having ? simply put ? yes ! but caveats also apply [shrugz] in today's world ANY lead is worth having !! but it boils down to desired application ( and that amigo i have no clue as to what your desired usage is )
    oddly enough for the longest time soft lead was what i found most and finding harder alloy to umm stiffen it up was a chore ,years later the tables have turned and i find more harder lead than soft ,of your situation and foreseeable future i have no clue ( my crystal ball is so clear i cant find it :P )
    what you've found is perhaps either monotype or foundry type ( just a guess given the BHN ) you can cut it 4 to 1 ( PB to this alloy ) and come up with something much friendlier to use
    as to value .... that really depends upon it's true composition ( again something none of us knows ) but ..it can be utilized
    btw ? i'm no expert so allow me to leave you something to study ( i suggest saving it and reading it often ) besides they type way way better than i do

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Man
    Can you melt this alloy? That's so hard I really can't imagine what could be in it.

Boolit Grand Master
    B4 investing a bunch of your $$ in it, I would "borrow" a piece to take to a scrap yard and have them shoot it with thier x-ray gun and give you an analysis. That is assuming there is lots of this stuff, not just 10 ro 20#.

That hardness could be from a large % of "stuff" we do not want, like zinc.

Buyer beware. Good luck!

bangerjim

Boolit Bub
    There is around 2000 lbs. could have even been a typo, 32 is pretty close to 21 on the keyboard. We'll see how much I end up with depending on the price.
    The majority of my shooting is 9mm & .223, followed by .45acp, .380acp, .357mag, .45 colt, .30-06 & .308.

I want to get my feet wet with pistol loads till I get comfortable with more knowledge then move onto faster GC rifle rounds.
    Last edited by dieselrealtor; 10-25-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: clarification
    NRA Lifetime Member

my feedback thread;

The reason that asked about what the alloy is made of is precisely what Jim and others have pointed out.

If it is monotype then I would say it is great stuff and worth around $2/#.

If it is mystery metal then I personally wouldn't touch it without a scan (unless it was free). Even then if could be a big waste.

Boolit Grand Master
    What form is this mystry metal in? Bars, hunks, ingots, ground pour puddles?

If hardness is from large quantits of Zn or other undesirables, it cannot be easily removed and I would say "FREE" is even too much of an investment in significient time, hauling, storage, etc.

Only way to be sure is that x-ray shoot. Find a yard that will do it for you, even if they charge $10 which some will do if you are not buying something. Tell them YOU are looking into selling it!!!! And get an analysis (probably for free) and price for what THEY would pay for the lot.

bamger

Boolit Bub
    He stated it is in 33lb ingots & that he used to cast commercially & ordered it. He is going to try to find the paperwork that shows what the alloy is.
    NRA Lifetime Member

my feedback thread;

I know of a couple National Lead babbitts that have a bhn of 32. One is their Heavy Pressure Metal, the other #1 Journal. Both are tin based babbitts with a high percentage of Cu.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

lolz @ "could have even been a typo, 32 is pretty close to 21 on the keyboard" true that added to with "He stated it is in 33lb ingots & that he used to cast commercially & ordered it."

adds credence to the possiblity of a typo , lino for instance is closer to 21 BHN and comes in 25-35#-ish ingots ( called pigs altho they be more like a giraffe's neck lolz )
    if he cast commercially with it the chances of it having any zinc begins to lower ( depending upon what he cast of course )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Bub
    he was pretty confident on the BHN, I haven't heard back on the alloy content. He said that he used to cast boolits, we'll see what the alloy is when he finds the paperwork.
    NRA Lifetime Member

my feedback thread;

Check out the sticky on using Art pencils to test BHN. Cheap (less than $10) set of pencils that will allow you to at least clarify approx. hardness.
    Art pencils are made to specific and graduated hardness so using the approach outlined in the sticky one can determine the BHN is less than the hardness of the first pencil the can dig into the metal and greater than the BHN of the next softer pencil.

Babbitt or Mono/Foundry would be good to have, if nothing else purchase of plain lead to soften it is less costly than purchase of alloys to harden plain. Babbitt as mentioned would be either really high tin or pretty high antimony, both good additions to you pot of plain. That copper in Babbitt would make the bullets pretty tough, good for those rifle calibers.