Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Squirrels and deer hunting

Banned

Squirrels and deer hunting

I don't think there's a tree stand hunter out there who won't appreciate this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJ9-YMfBX8

In Remembrance
    I can relate to that. lol

One time I was sitting on a ground stand with my back against a tree and heard leaves rustling. I tried looking every where without actually moving for several minutes. I finally noticed leaves moving coming my direction until it came right between my legs. When it couldn't go any farther, a baby armidillo stuck his head out from under the leaves to see what was blocking his way. I laughed so hard there was no reason to stay on stand after that. lol

I was in a ladder stand a few weeks back and was doing my best to take a nap. Every time I would closed my eyes a fox squirrel would start barking at me. As soon as I would open my eyes he would stop barking. The tree rat finally got the better of me and and I located him about 30 feet above me in an adjacent oak tree. The squirrel found out a bit too late that my 10pt Xbow is very accurate (head shot), which is how I know he was a he. FWIW, an adult fox squirrel is very tasty and tender after a 10 minute bath in an electric pressure cooker.

BB

Boolit Grand Master
    Not what I expected...

On a side note, I must say that a 6.5-06 shooting 140 gr Hornady Inter-lock spire points in front of a healthy charge of RL-22 makes a dandy squirrel load.

Make sure of your backstop, there is a high probability of complete pass throughs.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    I don't tree stand hunt but it seems that I see more total pounds of squirrel than elk or deer when stomping around the woods.

In Remembrance
    I don't know about total pounds, but when I was a kid growing up in East Texas, squirrel gave a whole lot more shooting oppurtunity than deer, and they were hard to beat on the dinner table too.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbackotter View Post
    I don't tree stand hunt but it seems that I see more total pounds of squirrel than elk or deer when stomping around the woods.
    Around here everything moves away several hundred yards ahead of a hunter on foot. The doe you let go gets everything else up and moving. Another hunter at the far end of a stand of forest will have a chance. This is where the saying that if you want to help other hunters out - then still hunt - came from. We've got 'em trained to look up in trees too.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Had one of the little suckers come down my tree and put his little paw on top of my head once (I was in full cammo) he freaked when I laughed.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

When I was a kid, I never had the patience to sit and wait for them, now that I'm old and like to just sit in a tree and watch the woods, they practically crawl in my lap. I've been kind of itching to do some squirrel hunting lately with the cast loads in a .22 Hornet I've been working with. Maybe next weekend, too much to do this weekend.

Boolit Master

Squirrel hunting is my favorite,I am not as mad at the bambis as when I was younger.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy

Every time I go deer hunting I see squirrels, and every time I go squirrel hunting I see deer. I wonder if they would notice if I took my 22 deer hunting, and the '06 squirrel hunting ? ������
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    Every time I go deer hunting I see squirrels, and every time I go squirrel hunting I see deer. I wonder if they would notice if I took my 22 deer hunting, and the '06 squirrel hunting ? ������
    One year my son and brother wanted to go hunt squirrels .. I said OK but I am going to take an SKS and crawl up in a stand just in case
    came home with 2 deer and 1 squirrel
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

When on stand when the squirrels birds and small game come out and settle down is when I always see the deer. Nothing moving or out seems to make the deer nervous.I always wondered about using skunk scent to mask odors as a skunk only sprays when alarmed frightened. Those little critter provide alot of entertainment while waiting also.

Banned

"Those little critter provide alot of entertainment while waiting also."

About 15-16 years ago when I was just starting to muzzle loader hunt, I was in a stand someone else had built in a huge Burr Oak tree out where I hunt. Had squirrels all over the place, including one annoying one about ten feet above me on the main trunk dropping nut shell cuttings on me and making noise. I happened to glance up just in time to see a hawk swooping in to try to nab him. The hawk missed, but flapped around in the tree top for a second or two knocking leaves and stuff all over me, the squirrel ran down the trunk and stopped for a second or two chattering out of control right next to my head and then ran off as the hawk flew off. Once I pulled myself together, I had to laugh and think to myself that it was one of the cooler, once in a lifetime experiences I'd ever had.