Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Low temp--RCBS Pro Pot

Boolit Master

Low temp--RCBS Pro Pot

Does anyone know if there is a fix to a RCBS lead Pro Pot, mine will now only heat up to about 650 degrees.

Boolit Master
    If I had a problem with my Pro Melt, I would call RCBS. Excellent customer service. The times that I have needed to call them, they were very helpful. The only time they charged me, was for return shipping only.

Call or email tech support. Sounds like a thermostat.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies, We did try to contact RCBS, am waiting for a reply from them.

Moderator Emeritus

Good luck! Last year a ladder falling from hangers in garage snapped the thermostat off my Lyman pot -- it would only heat to about 500*. I unscrewed plate after removing knob and wired a piece of 12ga wire across the thermostat. Bought a PID controller from a CastBoolit Vendor and it has worked superbly since. The thermocouple suspended in the pot is actually less obtrusive than my old Lyman analog thermometer, and I can view the actual temp digitally displayed continuously from my seated/casting position. Just a thought if the good folks at RCBS don't get back to you. I've had nothing but GREAT luck in my contact attempts.
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Master

No exp with the rcbs pot ,but on my Lyman ya can remove the knob & adjust the thermostat with a small electronics flat screwdriver.
    There`s only a few vendors of good parts these days , some are "disposable" or "unserviceable"

If ya work on it please unplug it ! don`t ask how "I" know !!!

GP
    GP100man

Boolit Master

Am going to send back to RCBS, they'll rebuild the whole top end complete for about $90.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SWANEEDB View Post
    Am going to send back to RCBS, they'll rebuild the whole top end complete for about $90.
    Hi,
    How old is it??? Should be a date on the sticker in front!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Moderator Emeritus

Ever so happy to hear you have a solution, albeit that you have to ship, wait, wait, and wait -- plus send some $$$$. When my "L"-brand broke -- all I wanted was to buy a replacement thermostat, I learned I was out of luck. Hence, I since bought an RCBS -- their customer support is 100% the reason I seek their name/label on purchases. I'd be curious the time-span; do hope you add to this/your post when you get it back?
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, the Pro Melt is adjustable . Small screw driver is all that is needed. I recall counter clock wise raises temp, clockwise lowers temp.