Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Crazy story of hunter turned hunted!

Boolit Bub

Crazy story of hunter turned hunted!

My aunt and uncle are both really big hunters, and they are responsible for starting my obsessions. This past week, my uncle and aunt were walking there dog, when a massive coyote came out of nowhere and tried to run off with their dog. My uncle yelled and yelled for help, and noone came. He fought the coyote back with a stick until they finally got rescued by a neighbor passing by. My uncle went for a walk again with my aunt 3 days later, and it attacked again!! this time, my uncle took his .45 and shot at the coyote when it gave him a good backdrop, but only grazed his back and gave him a haircut! I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on why this coyote would act this way, whether its rabid or if its just insanely hungry??? Thanks!

Well, it's likely a big dominant coyote to behave like that. They are known to like dogs for dinner and they are exceptionally smart critters. It may well be hungry but more importantly this particular animal is behaving in a way that makes me think it has become human habitualized and lost it's fear of us. Hope those .45 rounds land next time. That is the best solution.

Some use a dog that is in heat to lure coy. out for better shots.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderator Emeritus

Coyotes eat trapped fox and wolves eat trapped coyotes. It is all about removing the competition in the food gathering area. If you are in their area, you are a threat to their continued food supply.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance
    There is a very interesting article in Trapper and predator caller this month.

There is way more documented human attacks by yotes than I would have ever thought. Most in the last few years, coinciding with the coyotes population exploding.

Boolit Master

had my beagles attacted 3 diff. times while hunting. killed two of the coyotes third got away.

Boolit Bub
    I know of a few instances where coyotes were reintroduced into the wild to combat an over population of deer. The population of coyotes exploded with the unlimited food source. Years later, the deer population had dwindled and left this huge population of coyotes looking for food. They migrated into the suburbs and started to eat dogs from peoples back yards. Eventually, they attacked small children on more than one occasion. Then it became open season on the coyotes, if you saw one, you could shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle867 View Post
    I know of a few instances where coyotes were reintroduced into the wild to combat an over population of deer. The population of coyotes exploded with the unlimited food source. Years later, the deer population had dwindled and left this huge population of coyotes looking for food. They migrated into the suburbs and started to eat dogs from peoples back yards. Eventually, they attacked small children on more than one occasion. Then it became open season on the coyotes, if you saw one, you could shoot it.
    One county in Virginia has a bounty on Coyotes. Could be more but I know of one. I'm getting my caller and 223 tuned up now ! lol

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    This is mating season for coyotes.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on why this coyote would act this way.
    Coyotes are a lot like democrats, if there is little or no resistances in any
    avenue of life they will take it, and do it aggressively until they finally get what they are after.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.