Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Maintain Situational Awareness"

Boolit Master

"Maintain Situational Awareness"

How many of you folks are getting sick of hearing that? My wife and I were in Wallyworld today and as usual I stroll back to the sporting goods dept to check out the ammo, nope no 22 RF this time, and two customers and the guy behind the counter were discussing a Savage shotgun that was in the rack. Both of the armchair commandos along with the kid behind the counter were trying to be serious and they were trying to sound like tactical (another word that's getting kind of worn out) defense instructors, when we walked away my wife wanted to know what they were talking about. Then we stopped at the LGS to pickup some supplies for my son and there was the same conversation going on between two other guys, I bet between both places we heard "maintain situational awareness" a half dozen times, Lol!

This is not a rant or gripe and in no way intended to offend anyone, I actually find it comical and I just thought I would ask if anyone else sees any humor in this?

Is that the same thing as keeping your eye's peeled?

no it means keep your head out of your a## and see what is going on around you

In Remembrance
    It's gotten to the point that I just avoid gun stores whenever possible.

In Remembrance
    When guys around me get to talking tacticool, I ask if that happens to come in thutty thutty, and usually get some stupid reactions. lol

in Remebrance
    I'm plumb sick of hearing about "tactical", "precision long range", and "magnums". Some fora that's the only topics available. Col. Jeff Cooper called it combat mindset, or you could just call it as skykingjohn did. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    I think they are funny , my only problem is trying to walk around the gun shops without busting out in laughter.
    I think for the most part they will support pro gun candidates in elections so I just try to leave them alone.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Buddy

A couple of months ago I was at my gun range. I watched a stranger pull an AR 15 out a case . It must have its initial weight doubled with all of the extras clamped on it. Back up sights, light, mag pouches, really big scope, didn't have a bayonet on it though, all this on a M-4 look a like.
    then I noticed his ball cap had " firearms instructor" on it. He was even wearing a matching T-shirt with the same words. With bi-pod attached I watchednhim shoot a 4" group @'50 yrds. He was not amused when I politely asked him what was wrong with his rifle.
    Oh yeah, his hat and shirt had in small letters "MIDWAY USA"
    buy yourself an outfit and be a -------- too !

Boolit Master

But if he can manage to squeeze in a few "situational awareness"s and "maintain discipline at all times"s then maybe he thinks he truly is an instructor!

It really has reached the point of being just plain silly.

Boolit Grand Master

Even better is the guy that told me ( I was testing loads in an M!A for 1000 yd match coming up) that his AR in 223 would be better to use, That it was adopted due to more power and flatter tragectory that the M14 in 308. I hear it all and others at the club or shops also. Its hard to keep a straight face and not debbate with them. Theres no reasoning with that mindset. Ive seen the "cammandos with full camo shooting rifles at 50 yds that should be at 200 or better. One thinks his 338 lapua is at its best at 200 yds any farther is stretching it. Theres so many armchair experts out there that have read alot and not done anything to prove disprove what they read. Been told by these experts my cane makes me a "target", That its in now way any kind of usefull weapon. Give them time and they may figure it out eventually.

Boolit Master

I believe in paying attention to what is going on around you. I don't care what you call it.

I have done the heavy rifle for many years. I just carried a 17 1/2 pound, or so, rifle through hunting season. I realized it is awesome for the long range watching for deer or elk anywhere thing. It sucks at sneaking through the woods. Too heavy to stay ready! I am now having phantasies about a M70 Featherweight in 7x57 with a 3x9 VXII!

I believe it is Gunsite that stresses a combat carbine must be light or you can't get it in action fast enough. I think I can understand that now!

In Remembrance
    WOW Brass. I have never been in the lightweight crowd, but I would start thinking about it if my rifle weighed in the neighborhood of 17 pounds. lol

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Fill free to apply this as needed and when needed Gentlemen, Thanks'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    WOW Brass. I have never been in the lightweight crowd, but I would start thinking about it if my rifle weighed in the neighborhood of 17 pounds. lol
    I used to add a whole bunch of lead to them! Can you believe my first ten offhand were better than my second ten? Naaw, it couldn't have anything to do with getting tired!

Banned

Brassmagnet.
    I'm thinking you need a heavier gun so when you get excited you won't shake so bad and miss the close shots..

a bear story comes to mind...

so did these guys who were so keen on situational awareness notice you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Fill free to apply this as needed and when needed Gentlemen, Thanks'
    I like that.
    I shoot a lot of high power and a lot of pistol competition. Neither requires carrying the firearm for miles!

Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    It must have its initial weight doubled with all of the extras clamped on it. Back up sights, light, mag pouches, really big scope, didn't have a bayonet on it though, all this on a M-4 look a like.
    Sounds like a re-run of "Geardo Island". Did he have a vertical forend on it? Should have had a SAW dump pouch as well. Gloves with the hard knuckles? Blackhawk boots?

After a few months of carrying around an M4/M68/BIS/PVS-4/Surefire, it does not trip my trigger. Nor did it.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 10-23-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

In Remembrance
    Seems to me situational awareness was just a part of common sense we learned coming up, nothing a guy needed to talk about.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Brassmagnet.
    I'm thinking you need a heavier gun so when you get excited you won't shake so bad and miss the close shots..

a bear story comes to mind...

so did these guys who were so keen on situational awareness notice you?

Bear was not "Situationally Aware."
    I was not "Spare Ammo Aware!"
    Bear won!

Photo time?

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Seems to me situational awareness was just a part of common sense we learned coming up, nothing a guy needed to talk about.
    Hmm, think of a tourist just passing through. Now think of a participant. Different levels of SA.

But then again, the zombie menace may turn out to be the next level of the Obola mutation.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast