MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Maintain Situational Awareness"

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    What really gets to me is these "Situational Aware" types with heads on swivels still don't SEE anything. You need to notice what is going on, or is not happening, and be aware of the little clues then apply a little critical thinking to understand the situation. They might notice an elephant standing in the middle of the street but they won't SEE the lack of locals present who know something bad is about to happen.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    What really gets to me is these "Situational Aware" types with heads on swivels still don't SEE anything. You need to notice what is going on, or is not happening, and be aware of the little clues then apply a little critical thinking to understand the situation. They might notice an elephant standing in the middle of the street but they won't SEE the lack of locals present who know something bad is about to happen.
    I like your word view! It's not the vision, it is interpreting what the vision is seeing that is important!

In Remembrance
    A big percentage of people upon seeing an elephant in the middle of the road would park in the lane of traffic get out and try to pet it or take a picture with it. It has something to do with common sense.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    A big percentage of people upon seeing an elephant in the middle of the road would park in the lane of traffic get out and try to pet it or take a picture with it. It has something to do with common sense.
    I believe this happened with the sniper in the bell tower in Texas many years ago. They heard about it on the news and walked out in the street to watch, thereby becoming part of the news.

There was a mass shooting in LA area back around 1981, It was part of the war for control of one of the drug gangs. Four men with shotguns got out of a Limo to shoot their intended target and lined up in a row before opening fire. Most of the crowd at the block party just stood and watched.
    We are encouraged to "just be a good witness!" Most of the victims watched the shooting from behind the intended target.

I'm curious as to how one maintains situation awareness when peripheral vision is blocked by a "hoodie".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    I'm curious as to how one maintains situation awareness when peripheral vision is blocked by a "hoodie".
    You just don't understand, situation awareness is important but ya still have look "cool".

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Love Life
    Ahhhh, good ol' "SA" or situational awareness.

It actually works, but is abit more involved than just looking at stuff around you. Use all your senses. also, you need to be wearing 5.11 tactical gear brand pants and a vest that tells everybody you are packing the heat.

It's so easy to see who is carrying concealed just by how awkward they act.

SA entails alot. Kids missing in usually kid populated areas, street corners emptying, dirty looks, hushed conversations, odd smells, etc.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    Or when carrying a "boom box" on one shoulder!? Solution for the bad guy is to shoot through the boom box to hit the head.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Love Life
    Oh, and wait until the term "Combat Hunter" becomes mainstream.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    heck Duke.
    the only dynamic steps I take are when I trip over sumthin.
    oh you said dynamic not dramatic..... never mind.
    doesn't dyna mean in circles or sumthin like that, maybe you were supposed to pirouette [through the door] in a diving arc shooting two 45's at the same time that'd be pretty dyn err dra whatever.
    I thought you were high speed, low drag?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Ahhhh, good ol' "SA" or situational awareness.
    Pretty sad, I guess I am old after all. Silly me, I thought SA was "Single Action".

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Love Life
    No Sir, SA is now situational awareness. Single Actions are now refered to as "Grandpa's gun" and are not only ammo capacity challenged, they are also underpowered and not accurate beyond 7 yards...7 yards also just happens to be the new distance for judging pistol accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Hhmmm . . . What do great grandpa's shoot then?

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    In my upbringing, "maintaining situational awareness" was taught with a quick
    smack along the head accompanied by a very loud "PAY ATTENTION!" from my father

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post

Rick
    Water pistols filled with little blue pill juice
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post

Rick
    Rock Locks
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Personally I prefer the good old fashioned "nomenclature" (which is another word I never particularly liked).
    Rather than double tap or triple tap or the dredded "Mozambique Drill", why bother counting at that stage, thats what them big magazines are for ain't it. Much better to just keep shooting till blood stops pumping from all them little holes. If the range is such that you can hit em in the brain pan it would be better to do that first off, just in case the bad guy can afford body armor.

A friend always liked to use the big words and latest tacticool slang, but since he is a professional who used to go down to Mexico and bring back bail jumpers in the trunk of his car, before that became politically incorrect, he carried it off quite well. He worked for a outfit run by his uncle, a former federal agent. Things across the river aren't quite so easy now as they were thirty years ago.

Boolit Master
    One thing I've found very irritating in recent years is the unnecessary controversy over the used of a simple term like AD (Accidental Discharge) which always brings out of the woodwork some one who'll pontificate on the subject claiming that theres no such thing as an AD these are always ND (Negligent Discharges).
    This mind set ignores some basic facts, one is that most accidents are caused by some sort of negligence somewhere down the line, these are still accidents. Another is that despite the hype no firearms mechanism is entirely immune to mechanical failures that can cause an accident to happen.
    Mechanical failures may be due to a part becoming worn or deformed or broken. For example a broken firing pin tip can become jammed tight in the breech face causing a slamfire when a round is jacked into the chamber.

The pretense that a "modern fire arm" can't possibly "go off by itself" is probably the major cause of accidental discharges.
    This rates right up there with "dry firing can't harm a fire arm", I've replaced too many broken firing pins and found too many wallowed out firing pin holes with the edges turned up like a cookie cutter to believe that. I would add broken hammers to that list, but of the four broken hammers I've run across these were all on revolvers manufactured before WW2 so metalurgy may have played a part there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234