MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Star Sizer

Boolit Mold

Considering a Star Sizer

Hi everyone, thank you in advance for your input. I've been casting for about a year now using the Lee TL system with fair results (minor leading issues and stickiness in vegas weather) for 45 acp and 9mm. I was considering buying a star. After looking at there website the price sheet says $275, the product page says $325, and they say $338 when you call to order. I understand that it says they have a right to change the price but from a customer care standpoint it sucks because those prices have been up for awhile. Seems like they should honor there listed price until there web master can change it. I don't question the product quality, it's a customer care issue. What if I have a mechanical issue with their machine, will they take care if me or leave me hanging?

ADMIN

You will not have a issue with the machine and if you do they will take care of you.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    You will not have a issue with the machine and if you do they will take care of you.
    Thx was just looking for a little reassurance before purchasing. Hopefully it will solve this minor leading problem as i've already ruled out alloy, hardness, and bore-bullet size.

Boolit Master
    If it gives you any grief at all, I will take it off your hands, I can't pay too much because I already have 3 of them, oh and did I tell you how much I hate them?

Boolit Master

I agree that manufacturers need to keep their websites up to date and current. They also need to be consistent in all their advertising. I bought a firearm from an auction site. I went on the company's web site and the firearm was listed about $60.00 higher on their web site as opposed to their "buy it now" auction price.
    You will not be disappointed in the performance of the Star.

Boolit Buddy
    45acp 9mm + Star + White Lable Lube =
    RandyRat or LsStuff Both have good lube.
    Both are Venders here.....

Boolit Mold
    Just ordered my first Star with a heater and air feed assemblyI'm considering starting off with some carnuba red lube for my 9mm and 45 acp loads since it can get pretty hot here in las vegas. Any thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    RandyRat has a lube designed for hot weather.
    PM him about it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...old-sprue-lube
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

ADMIN

I just use the magma green lube.
    Its pretty hard.
    To be honest I switched over to coating boolits.

Expect a learning curve. I nearly took mine to the 100 yard line for the Garand treatment before I finally figured out the need and method to balance temp, lube pressure and punch depth. Have patience. Once you get it, you will never go back. My Lyman has been dormant since I got the Star. I keep it on the bench next to my Dillon 550's. When I'm ready to load, I size and lube the number of bullets I need, and then load them right then and there. It's just so fast and easy, and bevel based bullets don't get lube on the bases like they do with the Lyman.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Buddy
    I lost a screw from my bullet feeder and called to order one. Talked with a great lady that sent two out free of charge. Pretty good service.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had an original Star sizer/luber for many, many years and literally hundreds of thousands of bullets. I use a Lyman heater with a rheostat (you can use a light dimmer switch, a Dremel tool speed control, or a router speed control). I set the temp one time, then it's good and does not require further adjusting.

My "standard" lube is Lar's White Label Carnauba Red. It works beautifully in my pistol and revolver loads from mild to wild. Good stuff at a fair price. Buy a quantity and save on shipping... I get the plastic bagged lube sticks and save on the price (easier to handle than the plastic tubes, also, IMO).

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I too noticed several price discrepancies but I paid the updated price and I can unequivocally say its the best money I have spent yet on ANY reloading supplies!

ADMIN

They aren't much into computers much. Hell I bet they have hard copies of everything.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again everyone. I 've had my Star for a few days now. As Cadillo stated there is a learning curve for set up, but it seems like something everyone goes through initially. I'm hoping in the next day or two I'll be loading up some test rounds on my XL 650.

Boolit Master

daddyrucker - I was gonna say - pay the price and you'll never think about it again after you use it for a while. I always write down the distance (measured with the calipers) from the bottom of the punch to where it threads into the body. Do this for each boolit style. Gonna change boolits?? look up the numbers,set the punch and away we go !!! Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

DO NOT DO IT !!
    You will be up at midnight just casting bullets so you can size them!
    It is an infection!
    I have FOUR star sizers !
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

ADMIN

I buy a punch and lock but for every mold I have.
    That way switch calibers is quick and easy.

Boolit Buddy
    I only have one Star, I would never give it up. Contact Lathesmith and order your sizing dies. At the same time order your punches and locking jam nuts. Make change over a breeze.
    The very young do not always do as they are told.

magma is great. I've sent them 2 broken sizers, a star and a phelps, which they repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new one. turn around was about 2 weeks. you can't go wrong getting one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast