Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Dillion 650 Powder Measure

Boolit Buddy

Dillion 650 Powder Measure

Have a Dillion 650 set-up for 357 Mag. 2400, 4227 and Titegroup powder all meter great. I have a pound of Red Dot and Bullseye that I want to use up. Has anyone metered either of these in a Dillion? Looking at maybe a 5 grain charge with 158 bootlit.

I use Accurate Arms 2230, #5 and #9. It is a really fine powder and it measures fine for me. I did use bulls eye once. It also measured fine.

In Remembrance
    I have not used the powder you listed. But I have used h-110, h380, h-4320, h-4350,h-4831,unique, accurate #5,7,9 and other powders with good results. I find the Dillon powder measures to meter well.

Boolit Master
    I use Red Dot in mine, it meters just fine.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Banned

red-dot, unique, 700-x, 800-x.
    no problems.

Boolit Master

works fine with Bullseye powder as well as the first three powders ! I have never used Red dot powder in anything.

Banned
    It works fine with all the above powders. Expect accuracy within a tenth of a grain with most if not all measures.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the quick replies!

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    There are some postings across the internet on polishing and fine-tuning the Dillon powder measures. It is worth it to do a search, find the information and tune your measure. Performance will improve with most all powders and allow some of the more difficult powders to flow through. Well worth the time and effort.

Additionally, these same methods can be used on other brands of powder measures to improve their performance. Speaking of which, some types of measures do handle certain powders, depending on the measure's design, better than other measures. So when you have toolheads/die heads, it's well worth it to look at placing a measure on your toolhead that performance well with the caliber and powder that toolhead is set up to load. For instance, I have a tool head set up for .308 and one set up for .223. The .308 I'm currently loading two different purpose cartridge using the same powder I use for 30.06, which is IMR 4895 (surplus), a long extruded powder, so I use a Hornady LnL or Uniflow with those toolheads. The .223 gets ball powders like WC846 (surplus bulk) and BLC2, (ball powders) so I use a Dillon measure for this toolhead.

Note, intially, it's can be costly to buy extra measures, but nowadays, you can get them used very reasonably and once you have them, changing calibers and toolheads for different type loads becomes extremely convenient.

Boolit Master
    I keep four Dillon measures set up with each one a different powder bar in it. I use a RCBS ChargeMaster or a JDS Quick Measure for the harder stuff to measure.

take care

r1kk1