Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is rendered bacon fat just as good as adding bacon to deer burgers?

Boolit Buddy

Is rendered bacon fat just as good as adding bacon to deer burgers?

I'm new to hunting deer. Got a deer this past Sunday evening and I'd like to try making ground venison burgers. I read the Deer Burger post and learned that adding say, 2lbs of bacon to 8lbs of ground venison makes good burgers. It seemed that incorporating the bacon fat was the point of adding the bacon.

My wife always saves the bacon grease so we've always got a surplus of rendered bacon grease in the fridge. Is adding this to ground venison a decent substitute to the actual non-rendered bacon fat you get with adding fresh bacon? Or will it all melt out when on the fire and totally not going to work out?

I do not know about the fat to the met but I do know that they add pork when they make any product out of some wild meats.That is what the locker that i have deal with.i say the fat will do like you stated.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Use the fat.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Bacon is good!

Vendor Sponsor

TBH, any fat will work. Using bacon grease will let the deer stick together into a pattie, and keep it from burning up, but you don't get near the flavoring out of the saved bacon grease that you get out of bacon. You can use either or both, but they will taste different so try both ways and see what you like most!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome, one more use for bacon fat! But I do agree, grinding in actual bacon strips should taste a tad better.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I like to get the packages of Bacon Ends and Pieces. I high grade the nice big chunks of lean for beans, and use the fat in the grind.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Chunk of fat back or salt pork.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Bub
    Go to your local supermarket and ask them at the butcher counter if they have and pork or beef trimming, most of the time they give it to you free. Hope this helps!

Boolit Buddy
    Ooh! I will try this. Our supermarket has especially helpful butchers.

Boolit Master
    You want fat not grease.

In Remembrance

My butcher saves me all the fat trimmings I want free of charge.

Boolit Master

I've done both and prefer adding ground bacon, but would happily use rendered bacon grease again in a pinch.

Moderator Emeritus

Local store that just closed up would get in 10 pound boxes of bacon for $15. Lot of ends and pieces but a fair share that was great for breakfast and BLT's. I divided it into 1 pound packages, made up some for potato soup, some for beans etc.

Banned

I agree with doug. Your not going to get near the bacon flavor with just the fat. Its going to be a mess to mix too. I do like the others and just buy the 10 lb boxes of ends and pieces. There closer to 25 bucks around here but one box will net you about 50 lbs of burger so it ends up costing me 50 cents a lb. I dont make all my burger with bacon as in some dishes like spegetti ect it just doesnt taste right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    TBH, any fat will work. Using bacon grease will let the deer stick together into a pattie, and keep it from burning up, but you don't get near the flavoring out of the saved bacon grease that you get out of bacon. You can use either or both, but they will taste different so try both ways and see what you like most!

Boolit Master

I always use some in my boolit lube. just in case I have to shoot some mooslimes.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    What does your venison taste like without anything added. I have not shot a deer down here in the south but up in Maine different deer tasted different, some was really good and some less so. I think Buck vs. Doe makes a difference and what they have been eating makes a difference. I think you can actually taste when they have been eating spruce bows. When I buy ground beef I buy almost the leanest they have on the shelf. We don't eat burgers much so it normally goes into other dishes. When I make burgers sometimes I use sauces or wine to flavor the meat and keep it moist and of course I do not over cook them. Sure you can add bacon to ground meat and it will taste really good.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Deer meat has little fat so the beef suet or pork fat adds a great deal
    to the taste and flavor. Also I feel that it allows one to cook the deer
    meat at lower temperature and that does not bring out the liver taste.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Deer meat has little fat so the beef suet or pork fat adds a great deal
    to the taste and flavor. Also I feel that it allows one to cook the deer
    meat at lower temperature and that does not bring out the liver taste.

Mike
    So you also always grind up almost all the meat. No steaks, roasts, etc. You really don't like the natural taste of venison. I know I have had some that I did not like but I have had some venison steak that was very good.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

No, I go in to our local deer processor

http://www.clintandsonsbeefjerky.com/

and he or she askes "How do you want it cut?"
    I say please give me the "Standard Cut" She says, No jerky, no Breakfast sausage?
    I say, no thank you, the "Standard Cut" will be fine. And then I say, you do add Beef
    Suet to the burger? and She smiles and says "That is best"

The natural taste of venisor is fine if lightly broiling it (RARE) but my wife likes her meat
    WELL COOKED and so the suet helps with the burger. As for roast, steaks and chops
    I add NOTHING and eat it like it is.
    Cook slow and cool.
    I do sprinkle it with a bit of Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning while cooking the steaks.
    http://www.tonychachere.com/
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 10-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast