Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 11mm Mauser mold

Boolit Mold

11mm Mauser mold

I just tried my new Lyman 43 Mauser mold, 445110. It drops boolets that are tapered. They go from .447 to .4495 at the base. I called Lyman and was told this is correct as it is a tapered boolet. Why is it sold as a .446 dia. when it isn't. The lady I spoke to seemed a bit unsure about her information and referred to her computer for answers. Is this a normal mold? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS mold for the 11mm if you would like to try some of those. They shot very good from a 71/84 Mauser I tried them in.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the offer Bullshop but I'm going to try them in my '71. I loaded one in some Bertram brass and it chambers fine. I was just curious as to why it is called a .446 when it isn't.

Boolit Master
    Let me make sure I heard this right. You have a Lyman mold that cast fat with your alloy?

Boolit Master
    A whopping .001"oversize at that..I should be so unlucky!

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 446187 with my 71 and it give good results for me.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I am not sure but think the Lyman is a round nose correct? The RCBS is a flat nose.

Boolit Master

The lyman 455110 is a flat point the lyman 446187 is a round nose, but the 71 is a single shot so either should be fine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Super Moderator

.............The mould Lyman sells for the 11mm Mauser is for the M71/84 repeater version and not the M1871 single shot. The repeater is 'supposed' to have a .446" groove. The M71 will have a .451/.452" groove. Both share the same land diameter. I have that mould for my M71/84 and it works just fine.

You don't say WHICH .43 Mauser you have, and if it IS the M1871 single shot, a MUCH better slug for it would be either the Lyman 451114 @ 450grs, or the 457121-PH @ 475grs. I bought the later slug for use in my Parker Hale Whitworth muzzle loader, and then tried it in My M71 Mauser sized to .452". Once I found the range it wasn't too much trouble hitting a 2' circular gong at 600 yards

If your rifle is the M71/84 you can also use the Lyman 439186 @ 370grs, which is intended for the 11mm Remington-Spanish RB's. However you DO have to paper patch it. It drops from the mould at about .440/.441". Using some .0017" tracing paper as the patch you'll get right at .446" or a tad bit more. Since it has a RN I wouldn't put more then one in the tube magazine, so you'd have a '2 Shooter'

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    Buckshot and all,

I'm using it in a '71 with a 20:1 alloy. I think I'll get another mould and paper patch. Thanks for everyone's input.

DtheD