MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: olympic 9mm ar(older one) any good?

olympic 9mm ar(older one) any good?

a local guy has one he wants to sell from the late 80 or early 90's. has a magazine block and uses a modified Sten mag.the jury's out on these guns typically anybody have experience?

Nevermind.Found out its an early preban and a good one.
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 10-23-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master

So take it to the range and tell us how it shoots lead boolits then!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I have one of these, loved it so much I did the dance to make it compliant in NYS. Mine does not use the oly mag block - but instead has the welded tabs on the back of the mags to fill out the AR mag well. There were 3 problems with mine, all of which were fairly small gripes:

The ejector system drilled through the upper is surprisingly reliable, but tedious to remove and clean and replace. getting the tension on the spring right (and not losing the c clip) can be daunting. I lost my c-clip some time ago and the pin started walking out on me. I ended up just sticking a thin piece of wire through the retention hole in the pin and giving it a few twists, seems to have solved the problem.

Removing / replacing the cotter pin on the bolt during cleaning. I smashed a few pins into uselessness getting them back in the bolt correctly. there is a wire / rod that drops down in the firing pin channel that will mangle the cotter pins if you aren't paying attention.

Finally the barrel profile is obscenely heavy- makes the whole rifle too nose heavy. I'd reprofile it if I wasn't cheap.

The best part of these was their ability to run with true bunny fart 9mm ammo. I had a bunch light loaded 90 gr frangible that would not cycle in any 9mm I owned- the Oly fed, cycled, and ejected all of them without issue.

I really like PCC's though- I prefer them to the standard mid-sized calibers that ARs usually come in. If I ever could find one in 45acp (I never see the old marlin camp carbines come up for sale by me unfortunately. . .) I'd be done with my rifle needs.