• Yea

69 75.82%
  • Nay

22 24.18%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Developing an AR/MSR subforum within the Factory Rifle forum

Boolit Master

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=447918052

303Guy...It's only $8,500US plus a Trust Setup through a lawyer...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Having 2nd thoughts about my Nay vote. Looking back, it seems somewhat disingenuous considering that I received some good advice on putting my first AR together. Kind of feel like a dog that bites the hand that feeds him.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I believe you can cast your vote over John. If not, you are stuck like Chuck saying you voted for Perot in 92...

But yes, gunsmithing the Erector Set of the Gun World could be part of the discussions

Bruce

Boolit Master

I doesn't look like I can vote again. But no biggie, it would just be piling on from the results so far.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=447918052

303Guy...It's only $8,500US plus a Trust Setup through a lawyer...
    Sorry to say, but a trust will not get you that gun. It is a post 86 sample so you need to have a FFL or SOT because it is not transferable for us common folk. If it was it would be closer to 20k. I have a trust, and would be all over that if it was transferable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Sorry to say, but a trust will not get you that gun. It is a post 86 sample so you need to have a FFL or SOT because it is not transferable for us common folk. If it was it would be closer to 20k. I have a trust, and would be all over that if it was transferable.
    I thought I was reading it wrong but you confirmed what I thought was true.

Boolit Master

Dang! And I was soo looking forward to bidding on it!

I think this is a very good idea! The AR15 Rifle AKA "Modern Sporting Rifle" needs to be separated from the dreaded "Assault Rifle" when ever possible.

These guns have more aftermarket stuff available for them that you can shake a stick at, and the variations are endless.

I just got a Brownell's Catalog specific to AR's it has 104 pages of parts! I'm sure Midway has plenty too.

The thing about AR's is that you can do so many different things with them that it kind of necessitates a specific forum just to deal with all of the different ways you can build and use these guns. More so than other types of guns and well in excess of the Military Rifle forum which you kind of want to separate these guns from when ever possible.

I'm sure it would become very popular quickly.

If you look at the variety of receivers made by no less than 50 different outfits and couple that to the number of each specific part made you could literally build a million or more different guns with no two being exactly the same.

Some of these parts are going to be better than others and this is what would eventually come to the fore front of a dedicated AR Forum. What parts are the best for your gun.

I think it is a good idea and You have my vote.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have a Rock River that sees nothing but cast and I shoot it a fair amount. I also cast and shoot a 222 rem bolt gun. Other than needing loads that cycle the action on the AR I have found no appreciable difference in approach to working up loads for the two. Sorry, nay vote from me.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Master

Each is free to vote as they choose on this. The Poll is simply to allow the forum owner and the moderators an idea of the level of interest in a subforum within Factory Rifles. If you consider the idea reasonable than you vote that way. If you feel that the main forum is the proper place than you vote that way.

Modern Sporting rifles are being used every day and during hunting seasons as well to bring down game. So why shouldn't there be a subforum that is focused on getting these rifles to shoot accurately and reliably with cast boolits.

Some people may say that it would be wrong to single out these rifles and pistols for their own sub-forum but these same firearms are growing in popularity and use in the United States. I would think that particular argument flies in the face of popular wisdom within this very forum as we have a Sub-Forum called Star Equipment Corner in the Casting Equipment forum yet, the number of casters on this forum who own Star machines I am sure are a lot less than owners of ARs on this forum. And the AR has been in production for nearly 50 years while the Star Machine Works Company folded in the 90s...

Bruce

Boolit Mold
    I came to this forum looking for input on exactly this.
    I've a suppressed 300BLK SBR 1/7, and several hundred pounds of lead laying about. Since I'm not able to easily locate 220+g bullets locally I figured making my own would be easy since I've already been hand-loading for years. I want them for plinking and hunting.
    The more I learn, the more I realize there's a lot more to casting boolits than I thought.
    Lee's 230g seems it would be the ticket- but a boat tail??
    I don't see any suggested twist rates with the molds, I may pick up a Savage 308 hog gun as well.
    GC's don't appear to be a good idea for my TBAC can.
    PC looks like the only way to fly to keep the can and gun clean, and it looks simple.
    Suggestions for the mold, and saving me from the many holes I'll trip over on this new journey would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Pink_vapor, check your email for a PM
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

300 Blackout

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Vapor View Post
    I came to this forum looking for input on exactly this.
    I've a suppressed 300BLK SBR 1/7, and several hundred pounds of lead laying about. Since I'm not able to easily locate 220+g bullets locally I figured making my own would be easy since I've already been hand-loading for years. I want them for plinking and hunting.
    The more I learn, the more I realize there's a lot more to casting boolits than I thought.
    Lee's 230g seems it would be the ticket- but a boat tail??
    I don't see any suggested twist rates with the molds, I may pick up a Savage 308 hog gun as well.
    GC's don't appear to be a good idea for my TBAC can.
    PC looks like the only way to fly to keep the can and gun clean, and it looks simple.
    Suggestions for the mold, and saving me from the many holes I'll trip over on this new journey would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Pink Vapor,

Welcome to the forum. 300BLK is a great round for the AR. You can load Supersonic 110-125gr bullets where the cartridge is ballistically equal to a 7.62x39 and literally destroys a 30 Carbine for effectiveness in comparison. Or you can load heavy which it looks like you plan to do if you are searching for Subsonic load information for cast bullets.

If I read your post right, you have a 1-7" twist barrel. Its a good twist for what you are looking for. Lee's 230gr BT Mold was setup for three key issues. one, sheer weight impacts a lot of force to the target at subsonic speeds. Two, there is no need for a Gas check at the speeds this heavy mold is usually fired at and since most are expected to be fired out of a suppressor, removing a gas check prevents one from being dislodged during the bullet's travel through the suppressor and either tearing a baffle or causing damage to the can which would require a rebuild and thirdly, the beveled base allows a bit more room for powder in the cartridge while allowing the cartridge to be loaded at a proper overall length for magazine feeding and chambering.

I know several members on this forum have cans and shoot sub-sonics as well so you'll probably get more information on them regarding loads for such a bullet as the Lee 230. If you don't care for the beveled base, you could have a machinist open up the base of the bullet mold cavity to make it a Flatbase boolit. The weight would probably move up to ~240-245gr with the modification but it should be fine in the 1-7 barrel. My barrel has a 1-9.5" twist. It was sold to me as a 1-9" twist barrel but it works excellently with both heavy (Lyman's 311299 -200gr Round Nose) as well as Medium (147-160gr boolits both cast and jacketed) and my preferred lighter bullets in 110-130gr (Lyman 311259 - 115gr this one is gas-checked / 311410 - 130gr this one is plain-based.). If you have M4 Feed Ramps in your upper, you may have some feeding issues with Roundnose or Flatnose bullet molds. My preferred Medium weight bullet is LEE's 155gr .310 Spirepoint bullet mold but it is a gas-check mold.

I built my 20" 300BLK for Supersonic use as I was living in NY state at the time and they don't allow suppressors in the state. You asked about bullet lube and dealing with your can. PC is a growing subset of the casters here and you can glean a lot of information from the forum on that as well. If you can disassemble your can for regular cleaning of the suppressor and its baffles, I would say that you could use any traditional bullet lubes.

Any other questions? drop into the Factory Rifle thread and start a new thread there and other members will be glad to answer your questions as a fellow caster of the silver stream.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    It was recently posted by a new member of our forum that perhaps a sub-forum be created regarding shooting cast in ARs and other Modern Sporting Firearms.

I would like to second the idea and I'm willing to assist in moderating the posts on the sub-forum.

I reload and shoot cast in ARs as well as other semi-automatic firearms both in commercial and military surplus categories.

I currently have ARs rigged up in the following calibers: 223 Rem; 5.56 NATO; 300BLK; 7.62x39 and most recently 6.5 Grendel.

I own a custom M1 Garand chambered in 7x57 Mauser and I have a "Christmas Club Account" to eventually purchase both a Noreen Firearms 30-06 AR as well as a 308/7.62NATO AR10.

I've built a poll for people to vote yea/nay on the idea of a subforum for these Modern Sporting Rifles and the tips and tricks in getting them to shoot accurately with cast lead boolits.
    Great solution. I'm in favor of the forum as well. These guns are in a group all to themselves and need to be kept that way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Heck, why not a Glock forum too? Thy are popular and have some history of being labeled not lead friendly.

At some point the forum will be over run with sub forums for every possible permutation.

Those who want this new forum are thinking locally, the staff has to think globally.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

You are comparing a brand to a platform. That's a poor analogy. It's pretty clear that the moderators have no interest in a growing market segment.

May I suggest you at least add AR type rifles to the description of one of the forums. It is unclear where they should be discussed. I hope we can at least agree on this.

Boolit Grand Master
    Where is the problem? An AR is a military style firearm, I know where I would post regarding it.

I just looked in the military rifle forum. On the first page alone there are 3 very obviously AR related threads. Seems to me someone knows to where to post them.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

And yet this thread is in the Factory Rifles forum.

Any bets on whether or not Pink Vapor posts again? I'd bet not because he won't remember which forum he put his Ar question in . . .

Just in case though, welcome to the site Pink Vapor.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You are comparing a brand to a platform. That's a poor analogy. It's pretty clear that the moderators have no interest in a growing market segment.

May I suggest you at least add AR type rifles to the description of one of the forums. It is unclear where they should be discussed. I hope we can at least agree on this.
    I agree. If nothing else, including "Ar-15 related discussions go here" in the heading would be a good idea.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Heck, why not a Glock forum too? Thy are popular and have some history of being labeled not lead friendly.

At some point the forum will be over run with sub forums for every possible permutation.

Those who want this new forum are thinking locally, the staff has to think globally.
    Please elaborate on what you mean by the last sentence. It doesn't make any contextual sense to me.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast