• Yea

69 75.82%
  • Nay

22 24.18%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Developing an AR/MSR subforum within the Factory Rifle forum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I'm moving! I'm limited to 10lb of lifting but I'm about 90% better than I was before they replaced the disk! I've got a lot of downtime right now so I'm being a Forumwhore on this forum and a couple of others!!! Just don't try to chat with me after shortly I've taken my Percocets or Flexerils every 8hours! I have no control on what I might type during those times LOL!!!! I've promised myself to not provide loading data at any time during those "funny times"....

Bruce
    That is great news, the 90% part, I mean! All I have to do is stay up too late and I act as goofy as most on drugs!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

People who have AR's seem to be sprinkling their posts over multiple headings so I'd say yes - even to the point of having the Military Rifle change to Old Skool Military Pre Vietnam
    and Modern Military Post Vietnam for the AR's, AUG's and what have you.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

John,

I highly doubt the mallninjas over on AR15.com and other forums like that will ever discuss the sweet science of casting bullets and getting them to work in gas rifles. Most of them are still shooting 55gr and 62gr FMJ and looking for the next surplus deal on Guatemalan 5.56 overruns to blast at steel plates 10 yards away from them...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    John,

I highly doubt the mallninjas over on AR15.com and other forums like that will ever discuss the sweet science of casting bullets and getting them to work in gas rifles. Most of them are still shooting 55gr and 62gr FMJ and looking for the next surplus deal on Guatemalan 5.56 overruns to blast at steel plates 10 yards away from them...
    Now that's funny!!!! True, but funny.

Boolit Master
    I'm moving! I'm limited to 10lb of lifting but I'm about 90% better than I was before they replaced the disk! I've got a lot of downtime right now so I'm being a Forumwhore on this forum and a couple of others!!! Just don't try to chat with me after shortly I've taken my Percocets or Flexerils every 8hours! I have no control on what I might type during those times LOL!!!! I've promised myself to not provide loading data at any time during those "funny times"....

Bruce
    Now you know why alot of my posts can sound fuzzzzy!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I understand now! I hate taking them and I try to minimize my time on them as much as possible. It sure seems like we touched a nerve on the forum regarding shooting cast in ARs and other MSRs. I'm seeing lots of threads starting regarding shooting ARs with cast.

Bruce

Boolit Grand Master
    Just an educated guess, but......since there aren't that many topics started on cast in the 5.56 AR rifle that I've seen and I'm a long term member, making a subforum on gussied up AR's that are shooting cast bullets would result in such a narrowing of the subject matter that it would probably result in a new forum with a lot of crickets chirping.

Where are these "lots of threads?" A few does not make a consensus for a new forum.

Is there some fear that a post under "military rifles" or "cast bullet loads/military rifles" would get missed by these legions of AR fans yearning to shoot cast? Since cast bullet usage in all other military rifles probably outnumbers cast bullet usage in AR's by a considerable amount and these forums aren't that busy I still don't see a customized rifle AR forum devoted just to cast bullet shooting getting that much traffic.

Count the AR based threads on those two forums. Not a lot.

Getting some guys enthusiastic about a new forum doesn't mean that's a realistic take on its potential popularity or advisability. The air rifle forum is slow enough. I'd guess this one would be slower.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket. And yeah, I shoot cast in my AR.....but there still aren't that many of us that post about it.

In Remembrance
    They have for some reason never had any appeal to me whatsoever, but I would still vote yes. If someone doesn't want to read about them, don't open the forum, easy enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    The deciding issue is traffic and the moderator's willingness to add another category to an already well divided plate of options.

Boolit Master

Do a quick search on the site for "cast ar15"... There are over 2500 posts on the subject.

I made that comment when I clicked on new posts this afternoon and saw several posts regarding gas-operated rifles and or AR15s with cast bullets in addition to the posts on this thread line.

Developing this sub-forum would allow the moderators a place to compile this information into one place for people to look at as well.

But hey, I'm not going to stop you from stating your opinion. We all have our own.

Bruce

Boolit Master

I voted yes but why not a full forum so it is more easily seen. It could also be a bit more generic. How about "gas operated firearms"? An ar forum would only get more popular. A lot of ar talk goes on in the coating forum as well. It's scattered everywhere.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

That what I had in mind CAST BOOLITS in a modern AR sporting or other type of semi auto rifle. None of this what should I get? Key-mod or smooth free float tube with movable rails, that the mall Wanabee Tactard Crowd talk about.
    I want to know tips and tricks on casting and shooting Lead. With being able to get them to accurate and reliable.

Thanks For Bruce Drake for stepping, and helping to putting in a poll. Also being willing to be one of the monitors.
    Now we just need to have "The Powers To Be" Bless us. By starting us on our merry way.
    Plus, send Bruce a special prayer to heal up soon.

I can't type, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin...

I do seem to see a lot of AR or auto loading threads and posts. Not being an auto-loader person (I was once) but still interested in cast boolits I sometimes have a glance but I find them not all that relevant it me. I do think that auto-loading folks might well enjoy a sub-forum of their own. That won't stop me from visiting. Especially if they tallk about auto-loading 303's.

Then again, I don't look at the single shot sub-forum much even though single shots interest me. I'm probably missing out on a lot. Had auto-loaders been on a separate sub forum I might have missed out on the Lewis gun thread for example. So I am still on the fence.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master
    Take a look at the number of recent posts to gauge potential traffic, not posts over the entire history of the castboolits site. And count threads, not posts, as threads are a better indication of potential activity as they are different topics.....posts are not. 2500 posts over the history of this site is a rather low number and the thread count would be way, way lower. The evidence indicates a very slow moving forum would result. I'm looking for AR specific content, not and/or.

Go to military rifles or cast bullet loads military rifles, the most likely place for AR cast issues to come up. Not a lot going on compared to the rest of the content there. That's what I base my opinion on. One might also want to look at the cast bullets general forum and see how common AR questions about cast boolits are there as that's where most post first despite lack of specialization. They really aren't very common.

But of course, just an educated guess and opinion is all this is. If the subforum is created, we'll see how right or not I am.
    Last edited by 35remington; 10-24-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Boolit Master

If someone has the money to bankroll me 303Guy, I know of a Full Auto Bren Gun that is for sale here in the US and I'd be glad to provide a writeup on shooting boolits through it.... with pictures no less! Just send me the money as a gift through Paypal and I'll go get that gun!

And the entire history of the Forum does show the depth of discussion that has been placed here regarding cast boolits in auto rifles. New forums usually get seeded with those threads from other forums that apply to that subject so those threads would be placed within the subforum and become the basis of future discussions.

Bruce

Boolit Master

The 300 blackout is made for cast. I would love to talk about it on this site as opposed to reading silly stuff about it on other sites. Some have tried to preach the gospel of lead elsewhere for ar's and gotten nowhere.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of AR's, but am on the fence about a separate forum. While my 223/556 uppers have been and always will be jacketed poodle shooters, I do have a 300BLK upper. To me the 300BLK was made for cast, just look at the threads etc concerning loads, molds, PC etc. etc. for it. Whether or not the AR deserves its own forum I dunno. If it gets one I'll take advantage of it, if not then I'll see posts just like I've been doing in the past.

Boolit Master

I'll be working on developing cast loads for a M1 Garand in 7x57 this summer once I get a few 7mm/.286 molds made up in a couple of weights OTHER than 130gr. I'm thinking 170gr and 110gr based off Mountain Molds online mold design page. It would be a thread for this forum since its not a factory option but it is gas-operated.
    Last edited by bruce drake; 10-24-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Has anyone noticed the banner ad at the top of the forum advertising the 6 weeks of AR-15 related sales from Brownells, one of our forum sponsors? As well as Bushmaster Firearms...

Boolit Master

I had to learn some things about my .300 blk the hard way.

Grumpa sells more than a few .300 blk brass to members here. Somebody is using them.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast