91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

69 75.82%
  • Nay

22 24.18%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Developing an AR/MSR subforum within the Factory Rifle forum

Banned

sorry to all for getting back to this thread so late, I have been on the North Dakota/Canadian border for the last 15 day's and had no internet access for a good bit of that time.

anyway,,,, I put up a thread in the mod section proposing a change under the forums name [in the description] and was shut down on the idea.
    they figure the threads should go in the military rifle forum [I know duh, right?] but I got a no go vote on the addition of any rifle names to it's description.

Boolit Master

I have a penny and a half to add.

With the excellent search function here now, one could include one specific term or group of letters to each AR post ( AR15, ARFORUM, Sneaky AR. etc.) and create an imbedded subforum Hydra with no head.

Coder rings and handshakes could come later.

I used to waste time over organizing my computer directories until I realized the power of Search.

I'm saving my other half penny.

Edit: Can't figure out how to search for just new posts. Bad idea.
    Last edited by 762 shooter; 12-04-2014 at 08:15 AM.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

"Regular users of this site understand that you NEVER look in just one place."

This is the best reason yet for my argument but only if the goal of this site is to educate new shooters about casting.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    sorry to all for getting back to this thread so late, I have been on the North Dakota/Canadian border for the last 15 day's and had no internet access for a good bit of that time.

anyway,,,, I put up a thread in the mod section proposing a change under the forums name [in the description] and was shut down on the idea.
    they figure the threads should go in the military rifle forum [I know duh, right?] but I got a no go vote on the addition of any rifle names to it's description.
    Thank you for your effort R5R.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master
    Fishman.....again, everyone has topics relevant to their interests scattered everywhere on this site, because they fit in a lot of places. Everyone. That doesn't support your point. It's just practical reality. A very slow AR specific forum will not prevent this from happening because it doesn't prevent it with other topics.

Since a lot of people come here already.....the most popular site on the net.....it's reasonable to suggest they're coming here for education and information. Who is to say that's not getting done, especially since all these subgroups already look for information in a way you don't happen to like and that they happen to not complain about? The silent majority may be speaking out.....silently.

I think you need to reread what I posted. It's the best anyone will do for you. All your complaints as to "why not" have been addressed, point by point.

Given the actions and stated opinions of moderators that weighed in on the topic earlier, the argument for a "special" subforum is as moot as moot gets.
    Last edited by 35remington; 12-04-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Master

Well R5R did try within the Mod forum.

Regarding the current spitting match on this thread, I don't see a reason for it amongst ourselves.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts towards my efforts to try to develop a unified place for all Modern Sporting Rifles using cast boolits on this forum for new and older members of this forum.

The benefit of having our moderators is their ability to help re-locate threads that are misplaced or in wrong sub-forums and then place the threads into the proper location or kill the threads if the posters become antagonistic towards each other.

And for the forum members who have started shooting cast in their MSRs due to conversations such as this, I still stand available to answer questions via threads or by PMs to help refine your shooting.

Went to the range yesterday and put over 200 boolits each through my 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 ARs with zero stoppages or leading. If you take the time to learn, you can have a MSR that chews out lead boolits as well as jacketed bullets.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned

I like seeing the cast boolits in the ar rifles threads.
    I had an aversion to them after carrying one around everywhere I went for a while.
    then I bought one a while back and figured out how to make cast boolit loads work in it.
    they worked, they worked well, they were accurate and run in the 2750-2800 fps range with accuracy on par with my swaged and store bought bullets.

the thing is.
    the kids like the AR rifles, which means that the next generation of casters are going to be using these types of rifles the same way we shot carbines, m-1's, mausers, etc.
    so we might as well be talking about them in a positive light, and figuring out how to make them work correctly with cast boolits.

there ain't a need to argue about this.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the thing is.
    the kids like the AR rifles, which means that the next generation of casters are going to be using these types of rifles the same way we shot carbines, m-1's, mausers, etc.
    so we might as well be talking about them in a positive light, and figuring out how to make them work correctly with cast boolits.

there ain't a need to argue about this.
    The leadership wants it one way........ bolt action rifles at low velocity to "STOP ARGUMENTS". Until something else happens, thats the way it's goin' to be here.

I thought the various iterations of "Shooters" (of which this is the latest version) was supposed to help people learn..... somewhat the purpose the CBA espouses. Doesn't seem so now though. Anyway, Thanks for the effort Lamar.

Boolit Master

And MSRs have landed in the CB Loads / Military Rifles forum it seems by action of one of the moderators as ARs and other modern sporting rifles are now being identified in this sub-forum's headers for new members to come there first.

Its a start and perhaps we can help more AR/AK and other MSR shooters in the future with the depth of our discussions regarding these rifles and the loads need to get them functioning successfully with cast boolits.

Its now up to us to start develop sticky worthy threads on our MSR platforms and how to successfully operate cast boolits in them for others to read, provide additional input and perhaps strengthen these threads for other shooters as well.

And if we have a few Mods willing to troll the other subforums for other MSR threads residing in those other locations, perhaps we can even eventually build a knowledge base for others to learn from in a more efficient manner than blindly searching through the page's google search's Boolean input form.

But hey folks! We got a space to start!

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

If I was looking for info on AR's I would probably go to the Factory Rifle or Military Rifle forums.

I can see the desire to have all one kind of gun in one place however there are more guns than just AR's, so where does it stop?

I really like this forum a lot. I think it is probably the best firearms forum on the net, and with over 30K members here, there is a pool of knowledge on the subject of firearms, of all types, second to none.

Maybe that is because the guys who run the thing have some idea of what they are doing?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678