• Yea

69 75.82%
  • Nay

22 24.18%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Developing an AR/MSR subforum within the Factory Rifle forum

Boolit Master

Developing an AR/MSR subforum within the Factory Rifle forum

It was recently posted by a new member of our forum that perhaps a sub-forum be created regarding shooting cast in ARs and other Modern Sporting Firearms.

I would like to second the idea and I'm willing to assist in moderating the posts on the sub-forum.

I reload and shoot cast in ARs as well as other semi-automatic firearms both in commercial and military surplus categories.

I currently have ARs rigged up in the following calibers: 223 Rem; 5.56 NATO; 300BLK; 7.62x39 and most recently 6.5 Grendel.

I own a custom M1 Garand chambered in 7x57 Mauser and I have a "Christmas Club Account" to eventually purchase both a Noreen Firearms 30-06 AR as well as a 308/7.62NATO AR10.

I've built a poll for people to vote yea/nay on the idea of a subforum for these Modern Sporting Rifles and the tips and tricks in getting them to shoot accurately with cast lead boolits.
    Last edited by bruce drake; 10-22-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Thanks Bruce!

Boolit Master

No problems, Glad to assist a new member.

Boolit Master
    You need one in 5.45x39.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post

I currently have ARs rigged up in the following calibers: 223 Rem; 5.56 NATO; 300BLK; 7.62x39 and most recently 6.5 Grendel.

Boolit Master

I may get one eventually but its a odd caliber that will require a custom cut 22 caliber boolit mold. but before I go that route I was thinking of a 25-223 or a 6mmRAT (6mm Grendel) since I already have several 25 caliber molds and I like that caliber.

Sounds like you may own one so maybe you could build a thread on developing an effective cast load for that cartridge.

Bruce

Boolit Master

How do you like your Grendel? I've been toying with the idea of a Grendel for a while. They sure are impressive as heck on paper, ballistically.

Boolit Master

Just about finished building it. I also saw the reports about it being a good cartridge based off its ballistics. I own a 260 Rem and a 6.5 Creedmoor already so this will be my smallest cartridge for this caliber of bullet. I hope to eventually compile a good thread for this cartridge using 100, 130 and 140gr cast lead bullets and the resulting loads for an AR.

Boolit Master
    I think that would be good because a whole new crowd of folk are getting into guns and I personally welcome new gun ownership even though I prefer traditional hardware. My son thinks I should broaden my horizon and maybe I will.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I would not mind a modern sporting rifle section. BTW, your going to love that Grendel. I am kinda regretting I did not go with a 260 barrel for the latest DPMS style AR-308 rifle that I put together. I am spoiled by 6.5mm now.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs but are the rifles mentioned in this thread so different from their service rifle counterparts that they need to be called 'modern sporting rifles'? In other words, do they differ enough to break them out of the Military Rifle forum?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I think 5.45 will be awefull for cast bullets. I just brought a lot of 7n6 instead when I built mine. My 300 blackout is good on cast, but I think 7.62x40WT would be the best on cast.
    P.S; I don't like the term "Modern sporting Rifle" My Ar's are better military rifles than the military M4s and M16A4. And I don't want to pretend its not.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I may get one eventually but its a odd caliber that will require a custom cut 22 caliber boolit mold. but before I go that route I was thinking of a 25-223 or a 6mmRAT (6mm Grendel) since I already have several 25 caliber molds and I like that caliber.

Sounds like you may own one so maybe you could build a thread on developing an effective cast load for that cartridge.

Bruce

Boolit Master

My ARs superficially match my military issue ARs but the sights (1/4" clicks) and triggers (single-stage) are radically different and the barrels are all free-floated under the handgrips and are much thicker in diameter than military issue. In this case, its appearances are deceiving.

A stock military AR is rated for 3-4 MOA while my rifles are consistent 1MOA rifle with jacketed bullets. I'd rather go to war with one of my ARs despite them only being semi-auto than the rifles I used to be issued.

And my 7x57 Garand... let's just say it wasn't all built at the Winchester plant in 1944 and it sports a polymer rifle stock and not a bit of wood on it...

Bruce

Boolit Master

The 7.62x40 might give you more room in the boiler for powder but before I bought one of them, I would recut a 300BLK or 7.62x40 chamber to 7.62x43 and make a 30 TCU cartridge. Nearly the entire 5.56 case but trimmed back 2mm; the neck opened up and with the shoulder that isn't set back to allow for more powder. Imagine a 110gr bullet rolling out of a 16" or 20" barrel with almost 50% more powder than the 300BLK cartridges. Yeah, I've been thinking about that wildcat for a while...

Bruce

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs but are the rifles mentioned in this thread so different from their service rifle counterparts that they need to be called 'modern sporting rifles'? In other words, do they differ enough to break them out of the Military Rifle forum?
    This was my thought. But then you have some people that get upset when you post about ARs in the military rifle forum. I'm usually against more forums. But this one would be a good idea. It's going to have a lot of traffic so it won't be one that's created and goes stagnant almost immediately.

Love Life
    Ya'll think you can help me get cast working in my Omen?

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Ya'll think you can help me get cast working in my Omen?
    Ummm.... Jealous. Which model did you go with?

Boolit Master

Had to look up what an Omen was but sure! why not! I've committed hari-kari before by dealing with an T99 Arisaka's chromed polygonal bore to get it to shoot cast well (use .316 boolits in a .312 bore to keep them from skidding down bore). Have you started a thread in Factory Rifles yet to detail your issues with your Omen? (I don't think the AR/MSR sub-forum been agreed to yet)

Bruce

Boolit Master

Hey Bruce, how ya healing up?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I'm moving! I'm limited to 10lb of lifting but I'm about 90% better than I was before they replaced the disk! I've got a lot of downtime right now so I'm being a Forumwhore on this forum and a couple of others!!! Just don't try to chat with me after shortly I've taken my Percocets or Flexerils every 8hours! I have no control on what I might type during those times LOL!!!! I've promised myself to not provide loading data at any time during those "funny times"....

Bruce

Boolit Master

I voted "nay" but could change if the additional forum added something that is not available on existing AR forums. I think it would just be a burden here if it turned into a platform for hanging as much "stuff" as possible on an AR. This is still "Cast Boolits".

I've already noticed that the Yea's outnumber the Nay's by a large margin, so I don't expect the my opinion will carry much weight.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast