Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Do you consider inlines a muzzleloader in the traditional sense

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 26.92%
  • No

64 49.23%
  • Who cares

31 23.85%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Inlines

Banned

a barrel will only burn so much powder anything more is going out the barrel.

Andy

In Remembrance
    I don't know what the limit is before it just spits it out the barrel, but the way my hawken smacks my cheek with 120 grains behind a 435 gr boolit, I will never find out. lol
    I have never tried that much in my inline.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I forget which forum it is, but I have heard of one that pretty much bans anybody that mentions an inline. lol I am glad this one at least let's us fuss about them. lol
    That would be "The Muzzleloading Forum" My Hot Rods are looked at by some as the downfall of civilization as they know it.

Perm-Banned
    love your hot rods ron, got one my self.

Boolit Master
    Are they a muzzle-loader yes, they must be loaded from the muzzle.
    Traditional no, but that depends on Your definition, does it need to be a matchlock? Can it be a Flintlock, can it be a Caplock can it be a caplock that uses standard primers??
    Folks in WI are arguing about crossbows now, I bet most of them use a compound, Neither is traditional by any means and crossbows pre-date compounds.

Edit:Forgot to mention wheel-locks
    Last edited by DCM; 11-02-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: added stuff
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

In Remembrance
    In my opinion traditional changes over time. There was probably a time when a regular old rock was considered tratitional. My chrystal ball says that there will be a time the inlines will be considered traditional by most, the ar 15s traditional and it will not end there either. It seems everything eventually becomes outdated, even the way we think.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    FWIW, the name muzzleloader itself denotes a firearm that is loaded from the muzzle, and says nothing about the ignition system. Therefore, in my thinking, both what we think as traditional muzzleloaders (which use a sidelock for ignition) and inlines are both muzzleloaders. You could say one is typical and the other non-typical.
    ^^^This^^^
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    i guess that abomination that uses smokeless and is loaded from the muzzle is fine in yall's eyes.
    Andy
    Well i have not said anyone's opinion is wrong
    When you use the word "abomination" then you certainly have strongly implied it.

Of course it's the internet and I have no idea if you were serious or just having a little bit of fun with your choice of words. It's fine either way. If you're one of those people who needs someone to feel superior to, then I'm happy to be the person you're looking down your nose at. I'm willing to suffer a little snobbery in exchange for a gun that doesn't need to be fired to unload and cleaned every night. Just because corrosive powder is part of your tradition doesn't mean it has to be part of mine.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I think that's key there. One mans tradition is not another. Even if they are from the same era. The "traditional" thanksgiving feast had a lot of venison. But I would venture to say that not many households eat venison at thanksgiving. Tradition has changed over the years.

I think that since inlines were developed on the sidelock, flintlock, etc platform - then they came from a traditional background. Sidelocks were a development over flintlocks, the same as inlines over sidelocks. No one would argue that only flintlocks are traditional, they always throw in sidelocks.

I think the one thing about the "traditional" ML shoots having only open breech is to make things easier to keep things straight as far as playing field - ONLY because I have yet to see an inline that has a slower roundball twist. Plus, most of the guys who run it are apart of the "my gun is longer than yours" crowd.....lol

most of those events are not conflicted by the weather so true open breech would not matter at all. And if it was, then the sidelocks would have an advantage over the flinters. It's all just about what the organizers want in the end. And that's just it. The people who run the show do so based on their preference not others. It's the American way after all....

Banned

That was tongue and cheek. But that being said i have never had to unload and clean my BP rifle every night. I have left it loaded the whole season and it fired first try every time. Their is a lot of misconception about black powder out there. It is hygroscopic bit no more so than any other in my opinion. I simply keep it dry and it works for me. Like i said before use what you want i was just stating my opinion and i would never look down my nose at anyone, had that done to me too much in my life.

Andy

That was tongue and cheek. But that being said i have never had to unload and clean my BP rifle every night. I have left it loaded the whole season and it fired first try every time. Their is a lot of misconception about black powder out there. It is hygroscopic bit no more so than any other in my opinion. I simply keep it dry and it works for me. Like i said before use what you want i was just stating my opinion and i would never look down my nose at anyone, had that done to me too much in my life.

Andy
    This is true. I have left my sidelocks loaded before too for a whole season. I think there is a lot to be said for seasoning a barrel too, but I am not very intelligent on that end.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post
    I have yet to see an inline that has a slower roundball twist.
    I would love an inline with a 1-66 or 1-48 twist so I could shoot Minie bullets.

That was tongue and cheek. But that being said i have never had to unload and clean my BP rifle every night. I have left it loaded the whole season and it fired first try every time. Their is a lot of misconception about black powder out there. It is hygroscopic bit no more so than any other in my opinion. I simply keep it dry and it works for me.
    I learned something new today. I have always been warned if I left black or Pyrodex in the gun it would crumble to bits overnight...or something like that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

In Remembrance
    I remember reading about someone getting killed when the owner of a new/used put a cap on one they just bought and fired it in the house, killing his son.
    When I bought my first one, I knew nothing about them. I bought a couple of books to familiarize myself with the use and maintenance of them. I do not remember reading that you could, or couldn't leave one loaded, but doubted the frontiersmen whose life depended on these ran around with empty guns, So my first hunt left it loaded. The hunt was only 4 days, and I never got a shot, but fired it at the end of it, and I couldn't tell any difference the way it fired.

Boolit Bub
    IMHO, No I do not think an inline is a TRADITIONAL muzzleloader. Is it a ML? Sure it is. Do I think an Inline should be allowed in a states ML only season? NOPE I do not. A modern inline to me once loaded, with its modern optics, sabot and modern bullet poses NO MORE of a challenge than my bolt action rifle. Other than having one shot. Heck most times I only get ONE shot with any other rifle. I personally think traditional side lock ML's firing a patched roundball with Iron sights ONLY should be allowed in ML only seasons. Just my .02.

In Remembrance
    Especially since it is reported a near miss kills deer drt with an inline and you have to hit them with a round ball out of a side lock.

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer303 View Post
    IMHO, No I do not think an inline is a TRADITIONAL muzzleloader. Is it a ML? Sure it is. Do I think an Inline should be allowed in a states ML only season? NOPE I do not. A modern inline to me once loaded, with its modern optics, sabot and modern bullet poses NO MORE of a challenge than my bolt action rifle. Other than having one shot. Heck most times I only get ONE shot with any other rifle. I personally think traditional side lock ML's firing a patched roundball with Iron sights ONLY should be allowed in ML only seasons. Just my .02.
    Just to be clear your saying you want more government enforced restrictions on our hunting? You want gun bans based on certain features for certain seasons? You want folks who can't see to use open sights anymore taking shots at what looks like a deer instead of using an optic? So you don't see optics, which were created mid 1800's as traditional? I'm sure glad you have no say in our regulations. I prefer less government involvement in all aspects, anything else sounds liberal to me.

Most states that loosened regs to allow inlines did so due to low harvest and/or tag sales. You would think as gun owners there would be a more united front or... we fall.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Just to be clear your saying you want more government enforced restrictions on our hunting? You want gun bans based on certain features for certain seasons? You want folks who can't see to use open sights anymore taking shots at what looks like a deer instead of using an optic? So you don't see optics, which were created mid 1800's as traditional? I'm sure glad you have no say in our regulations. I prefer less government involvement in all aspects, anything else sounds liberal to me.

Most states that loosened regs to allow inlines did so due to low harvest and/or tag sales. You would think as gun owners there would be a more united front or... we fall.

2 Different subjects. I personally think seasons are ridiculous. if you need food get it. If you catch people wasting animals deal with it. But regulations are there to protect the animals. Just as they are there to level the playing field. Can't have some without the other. How much regulation by the government do you want.

Andy

Well since they are trying to regulate us out of existence, I would say again less is best. No law can level the playing field, man has had the upper hand for a long time now. So I guess the guns you call traditional are looked down upon by archers and spear chuckers as those historically have a longer tradition much beyond any modern made gun you think fits your arbitrary definition of traditional.

So are lever guns traditional? They were looked down upon by many traditionalists at the time of their creation. Kind of like the ar of its day. Guess nothing should be legal.

Good luck.
    Last edited by freebullet; 11-04-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Bub
    The very FIRST abbreviation in my post was IMHO. Which stands for IN MY HUMBLE OPINION! The rise modern inline popularity was created solely due to muzzleloading season. If muzzleloading season was done away with, you would see the Inline go away too. As soon as rifle season comes in MOST peoples Inline gets thrown in the corner and out comes the centerfire rifle. The WHOLE basis to this thread was asking everyones OPINION anyway. I never said I didn't like an inline. I just said I didn't think they should be allowed in a Muzzleloader / primitive weapon type season. A modern inline is ANYTHING but primitive. Again its just MY opinion which I AM entitled to.

Boolit Bub
    By the looks of the pole results looks like I'm in the majority.