Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show & Tell Score

Boolit Grand Master

Show & Tell Score

Took my 1921 32WS SRC by a friend's "office" for show & tell and somehow the subject of 38-55's came up. Seems he has a 1909 or thereabouts 26" 94 in 38-55 with an octagon bbl and Marble sights. Not sure about the bbl length, he had me at "38-55" and again at "octagonal barrel" It's been refinished but letters are still sharp so whoever did it did it right. He has a 70's (?) vintage 1895 Marlin in 45-70 if anyone's interested. I spoke for the 94 sight unseen, will pick it up when I get back from Raton.
    Just the other day I was telling myself: "Self, you need another gun. Let's make it a levergun, always need one more of them...especially a really old one."
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    You need to cut your trip short, WE NEED PICTURES. lol

Boolit Grand Master

A little excited about seeing it myself but trust me, I really need a road trip. I just happen to have some BP 38-55 loads sitting on the shelf waiting for my return. Funny thing, I'm not taking a levergun on this trip. Not even a centerfire rifle. Seems I have a little casting and loading to do when the dust settles around here.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    You need to cut your trip short, WE NEED PICTURES. lol
    I'm back in town, will see if I can pick it up tomorrow evening. No promises on the pics, tho. Phone and laptop are fighting again.

Please refrain from posting rifle pics that show your drool, all over the gun............................

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Please refrain from posting rifle pics that show your drool, all over the gun............................

Will do the best I can. In all honestly this isn't the prettiest rifle I've seen tonight but the others weren't for sale. Turns out she was built in 1901. I think the old girl's rather handsome, looking forward to putting a handful of rounds together and taking her out to the range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (3).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	120491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 (2).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	120492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (1).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	120493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	120494

Boolit Master
    Pics like that just tease us, and some people like a little character. Congrats on the oldie but goodie.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks. Someday I'll learn to take a drool-worthy picture. I'll bring it along next time we slip out to the range. She's not showy but the pics don't do her justice.

Wow! Another nice one. I'm a sucker for octagon bbls. on a lever gun, just something about them. Congrats on a good find!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks. As I said earlier, he had me at "38-55" and "octagon". Did I mention she came with a set of dies, about 100 pieces of brass and some store-bought cast and j-word bullets? He's an old friend and wants to focus on a smaller stable of rifles. My friend bought this rifle as a restoration project but the gunsmith who restored a few others for him died shortly after he dropped this rifle off. The old gentleman did some awesome rust-bluing and wood finishing. Truly a craftsman.
    I've got to quit stumbling upon these old Winchesters but there's no such thing as buyer's remorse with a fine old Winchester.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 10-29-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    She's a beaut Tex.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, Sal. Hardest part about buying this rifle is knowing that it will be a few months before I get to shoot her. Hunting season is upon us and I need to get a rifle or three ready to go hunting. Already thinking that if she's a shooter I may send her off to Turnbull and make a real showpiece out of the old girl. I'm into her at a good price so a good restoration isn't out of the question.

In Remembrance
    I loves me some octogan barrel, but I also like the well used look of an old winchester, even better than a new unfired look.

Looks nice to me as is! Seems a shame to "renovate " it and make it into something it's not - a modern old gun. I can understand the temptation (I still get the urge to do mine) but these old guns have character and history. Once you do it up that's all gone.

Looks great! No restore needed.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm....I've been looking for a Turnbull project and will take your advice into consideration. OTOH the price tag of a restoration may scare me off anyway. There's something about a rifle with 3-4 generations of gentle use behind it. May just pull that buckhorn sight off and go hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

Saw my buddy's Turnbull "restored" 1886 this past weekend. Took a modern takedown and made it look like an antique. Very nice work but quite frankly not in my budget and more than a little overpriced, IMHO. They did a little extra work and gave him a break or two on the price but it was still a pretty good chunk. Another problem is that he'll probably never shoot it, let alone take it hunting. I don't really blame him, it's a beautiful rifle without a flaw, scratch or ding anywhere. It's a museum-quality chunk of eye candy with a price tag to match.
    I think after a range trip or two this old girl will spend a little time in Goodsteel's shop, may even drop it off myself. Never needed much excuse for a road trip or a chance to meet another CB member. I've seen a bit of Tim's work and I have little doubt the result will be a beautiful rifle that will draw stares at the range as well as bring home the venison. OTOH she's quite likely a solid hunting rifle as she is but I think she'll be pretty outstanding after a little facelift.

Boolit Grand Master

Send it to Tim. It will be money well spent. It may even come back w/ some Turnbull embellishments it you want them. I have another one to send him but it won't be a full restoration this time.

Boolit Grand Master

If all goes according to plan it will be color case hardened finish on the receiver, lever, butt plate and fore end cap, probably the hammer as well. Wood is something I'll have to ponder awhile. It is nice enough, seems solid and hasn't been abused but is a little oil-stained. Tim suggested checkering but that point will give us something to talk about once he sees it. Some period-correct checkering would definitely add to the appeal and utility of this rifle but a careful cleaning and a bit of oil would be an attractive possibilty as well. Rear sight will be replaced by a fitted blank to facilitate use of the Marble tang sight and the original rear sight will go to live with a few others, carefully wrapped and labeled in my parts box.

Sounds like it will come back to you as one fine looking lever rifle. One to treasure for sure, which it already is for that matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast