PBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Help for my Gibbs Has Helped!!!!

CM.

" I don't consider it to be a problem of any kind and Kurt seems to agree with me ... if his opinion matters.
    When he first saw one, he thought it had been breech seated."

Yes I remember saying that when I saw you post those pictures.
    And I still will say that is the way a paper patched bullet should look like patched to bore or groove. I spend a lot of winter time developing my alloy for a new mould I get to find the alloy that will hold the nose setback so the patch rides the bore at the point like in the photo and the groove fully filled.
    To come up with a alloy and patch location like in that picture is hard to come up with by just guessing. The left bullet has an alloy just a little softer than the right one from what I can see with out measuring them to check setback.
    What I see in both of those bullets and that is they where seated slightly off the lands and made a slight jump, but they held very good.
    You have more leeway with alloy temper for a PP bullet patched to groove diameter using alloy harder then needed then when you patch to bore or slightly under bore. A small mismatched alloy to hard or to soft patched under bore or one or two thousands over bore will show up at extended ranges.
    Last edited by Lead pot; 12-16-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If you did in fact shoot that group at 600 yds, it's not bad, not bad at all.
    None of the bullets I've recovered look a screwy as those in your picture tho.
    As to Dan T.? I met him at Raton, at the BPTR championship in 2013. We had a good visit during the week, and I find him to be a pretty neat fella to talk to. We do exchange emails and the occasional phone call. I do know he was working on patched loads to take to the BPTR nationals last year, but then with his changing jobs, he was unable to attend.
    So as you've got your rifle and load shooting that well, maybe someday you'll venture out into the world and show us how well you really can shoot. There needs to be more folks shooting patched in the matches. Last year at the Nationals there was only one that shot the entire match with patched, and two shot the Creedmoor with patched..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    If you did in fact shoot that group at 600 yds, it's not bad, not bad at all.
    Truthfully, I only posted it because it turned out so much better than I expected.
    Considering how much variation I see from session to session at 300, I would probably be hard pressed to duplicate that one in five tries.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Practice,practice,practice...

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Nice shooting CM. I shot a pretty good group out in Cheyenne this summer at 600 yds but mostly I'm just happy to hear metal clang. My conditions were cadilac compared to yours - good of you to take the trouble to illustrate something in such frigid conditions. I reckon "out in the world" is all relative but that's out in it enough for me.
    Best Regards,
    John

The nice thing about getting out in the world and doing some shooting, is the learning curve that is available away from the comfort of a persons "home" range.. Most folks learn more about making their rifles run and run well in a days match shooting away from their home range, than they do in 2 years time at home...

In Remembrance
    I only go out to shoot five or six times during an average summer, and I do it purely for pleasure.
    I'll shoot a time or two in the winter if I have some bullets I want to recover samples of.

As for going somewhere else to shoot ...
    The Quigley is the closest to me and I could handle the costs of attending. But, it occurs right in the middle of my second run of irrigation. No way could I just stop watering for four days.

For the rest, I haven't gone away from here for a 'vacation' of any kind since 1994. The only required absence was in 2009 when I went to Spokane for surgery. A neighbor fed my cows for the six days I was gone, and 'helped' me do it for two weeks as I healed up.

I moved around a lot ... all of my life ... and now I am content to just 'be here'.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

They do shoot midrange and sillouette at Butte, sillouettes at Livingston..Billings has a gong match, Missoula has a variety of matches.
    I like the learning experience , have never come away from a good match without some new found knowledge...Plus the opportunity to visit and exchange ideas with folks in person is well worth the trouble of going to various matches.

CM, If I had some irrigation project lease pasture nearby I might just be content enough to build some dingers and invite friends over for the fun. I shoot off my porch when up North at the cabin and love the convenience of trotting upstairs to adjust a load and coming back downstairs for another round. Only drawback is the range. Twenty acres gives me a long enough range for a 600yd target but for the house a neighbor built near the property line in that direction. He'd probably start shooting back if I skipped one in his direction. Sounds like you didn't have far to travel for that 600yd expedition. I get to shoot out to 1000yds about twice a year where I'm fortunate enough to have two friends with that kind of layout. Always learn a lot just getting ready to go and always enjoy the fraternity. Fortunately a guy can learn a bit on the forums from those willing to share. I'd travel more perhaps if I could affort the time and money but I'm kinda like you and mostly content to just "be there". At the cabin I go for days sometimes without seeing another face.
    Best Regards,
    John

Load testing at 270 yds off the deck, reloading bench about 4 ft behind the camera, just inside the door.

My 1000 yd range about 500 yds west from the shot off the deck..

Can't beat that unless you are in Tonasket!
    Best Regards,
    John

Need to get some windflags up on the long range, other than that it's pretty handy.

Mine is at a more modest range. Wish it was long enough to need flags.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Range on a clear day.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	125224
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Load testing at 270 yds off the deck, reloading bench about 4 ft behind the camera, just inside the door.

My 1000 yd range about 500 yds west from the shot off the deck..
    Dang-what a sweet deal!
    Don't think I would ever leave, if we came to visit-
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Gary, I've got some regulation sillywet's ready to make some swingers , whenever the neighbor gets his new well pipe and sucker rod corrals built. I can have his scraps and short pieces to build the swinger frames out of...Tell Ms. Ima we said hello and we are looking at getting some hats made so's I can replace the one you stolt from her...

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't 'stolt' it. Only kinda borrowed it for a bit.
    Barb sez she would love to have a hat(me too).
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12