Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: help one more time please gentlemen and ladies.

Boolit Master

help one more time please gentlemen and ladies.

If anyone recalls I have been working up loads for an very old win 94 30-30 that me and little girl.restored last winter. Had trouble getting the ranch dog 165 from the group buy to chamber if it was seated to length. I played around with a few other boolits but none gave the accuracy of the rd seated deep with10 grains of unique. As in minute of angle accurate. So my question is I have sized the boolit down to .311 and seated at 2.412 oal. I'd like to try some heavyer loads like a few grain more unique and mayhapes some varget or 4895. Would you guys think this to be a safe load? It just kisses the lands at this length and chambers smooth as butter. Any lo her and it gets hard to put it in battery. Any feed back would be great.

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon has some very specific info on light loads in rifles with H4895.

IIRC, something like 40% of max load or some similar concept - DON'T take
    that as gospel it is just an example, not the real info.

Look on their site for it.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I used 27.5gr IMR 4895 in 30-30 with Lyman 173 gr cast gas checked .310" bullets. Velocity with this load out of a 10" T/C Contender was 1502 fps average. I didnt record the velocity for the 30 WCF back in 1979.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 10-22-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added blue info

Boolit Master

Thanks guys, I've been checking things out for days just always love the feed back.and care one gets here! Guess what Im really asking is about pressure. As I understand it a cast load will generate less than a j word when seated slightly shorter than recommended.

Banned

no need to worry about pressure, seating it a tad deeper won't incur any unwanted pressure.

Your powder charge is more important than seating depth.

Boolit Master

Big 10/4 Blammer that was my understanding but I've lived just long enough to know I really don't know squat.

Banned

I'd slightly back off a jacketed load with your deeper seated boolit if that's what your asking.
    or just look for a load saying it gives 2-k fps or so with your powder and start there.

I have run the 30-30 up through full book jacketed type loads and substituted a cast boolit in their place working from there several times.
    the 4895 can be reduced like Bill say's, but I think it's 60% of the case capacity.

Boolit Master

That's what I was looking for Riverrun someone smarter than me to validate my hair brained iders.

Boolit Grand Master

Who is it here who makes the nose sizing die?? Sounds like a perfect appliation.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

I made my own mold, the boolit is 187 gr, nose is bore size and the front band kisses the rifling. I have been using 26 gr of 3031 or 25 gr of 4895 for good accuracy at 100 yards. Shoots better then I can hold still.
    I found two things; both powders shoot better with the Fed 155, LP primer.
    Neck thickness varies a lot with brass so I neck turned just enough to even it out and eliminated run out. Before I did that rounds would wobble if rolled on the bench, I measured up to .020" run out and am down to 0 to .002" now. Might be the most important thing I did.
    I will soon work some 4895 loads but both powders shoot circles around Unique.
    Varget did well but I am out of it and can't find any.